Yearly physical eeesh vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear I would avoid these things if at all possible just because of dealing with the ignorance. :

Todays visit went like this:
ds lays down and the Dr. says "I am going to check for hernia's now"
Me: ok you can check his testicles only. Do not mess with his foreskin at all please.

Dr feels for hernias and says: His foreskin is to long have you thought of circu....

Me cutting him off: It is fine totally normal. I meant no messing with it right now. (since it looked like he was fixing to touch it)

Dr looks at me and sorta half smiles: Yes normal long though. Well it might cause trouble with an erection.

Me: He has not trouble with that.

Dr: Is he retractable?

Me: No, not really about halfway and that is totally normal for his age.

It kills me that these Dr. are not keeping up with the information out there.

If ds was tripping over his foreskin then I would say yeah it "might" be to long other than that I dont for a minute ds foreskin is to long. From what I have seen ds has just the right amount for what he needs when he has an erection.

Then we had several conversations about not vaxing He tried every way he could think of to get me to talk about why my religion was opposed to vax without coming out and asking me what religion I was. Even asking was dh in agreement with me on this : and saying he would love to talk to him. He also asked if I would treat an illness with abx and I said of course if it is needed.

I just kept saying religious reasons and then asking a new question to distract him He said in his 30 years I was only the 3rd family he had ever had that didnt vax for religious reasons. I cant help but wonder if that is because the families where like I was and had no idea they had a choice.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#2 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 PM

So...don't go?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#3 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 PM

long foreskin to cause problems with and erection that's like what and he was talking about circumcising your boy because of a long foreskin .

Sad docs are not up to date on this stuff yet and i just wonder when that time will come.
#4 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:37 PM

I would say...

"yes, isn't he lucky to have a long foreskin? He'll have full coverage when he grows into it!"

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 PM

His foreskin is too long??????????

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#6 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
So...don't go?
I wish it where that simple but I don't have that option. The kids must have a yearly physical for school. I also need to at least show that I take them for that since ds hasnt been for one since he was 4mo. Only took him when he got sick.

I havnt came across an exemption to the yearly physical for school yet either.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
His foreskin is too long??????????
Yep those where his exact words. I want to say in his defence he is at least 60 but that isnt really a defense since he should still be keeping up with the latest information out there.

#8 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

That SUCKS! It took forever, but I found one for CT...We have mandatory PEs for school here too.

Can you bombard this doc with info? I'm guessing he causes a lot of bous to get cut.

#9 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 06:48 PM

What state are you in?

#10 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

He is one dr in the practice of 7 and he is the only dr that has given me trouble with ds or the vax thing. I am going to avoid him from now on this time I just wanted to get in there asap to get the paperwork turned in to the school.

Next year I will be calling well in advance and request the dr. that in the past has just nodded when I said exemption.

I am planning on getting some stuff together and taking/sending it to them. Would hate to think of someone else falling for that bs.

I am in TN.

#11 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM

There may not be an exemption...let me do some digging!

#12 of 34 Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM

oh jeez - we just went to our first one ever. (I circ'd ds uneducated at the time) and it was a total nightmare.

It was scary and they were mean and it just sucked!
#13 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Yes, it's stuff like this that makes me not want to ever take my DC to the doctor. Am I the only mom who doesn't think my kid needs to go to the doctor unless it's life-threatening? Honestly, every experience I've had (except once when she was dehydrated from diarrhea and they gave us super rehydration salts) has been totally bogus, ignorant, negative, harmful, or simply unnecessary. I am still hoping to find a natural family practitioner for us. Who takes medicaid and understands my non-interventionist stance.

Is there a non-medical tribe/board? Besides UC? Seriously, sometimes I feel like the only momma out there who just abhors taking child to the doctor. We've been able to avoid it for almost 2 years after a doc made her ear bleed in order to get earwax out---when we returned later (after I noticed fresh and dried blood), a different nurse looked at her ear for about a second and then prescribed antibiotics-after I told her what happened in her own office! All totally ignorant and unnecessary.

I feel like if we have to go in and educate them, then why are we even bothering to take the babe to them? I understand that docs go to school and blah blah, but it seems like they just spit out these blanket "common sense" statements (like duh, I know she needs rest and fluids) and then try and pressure us into harming our children (like bullying young/new moms into unnecessary vax). Grrr. Sorry, just had to vent.

Happy and in love with my family!
#14 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I wish it where that simple but I don't have that option. The kids must have a yearly physical for school. I also need to at least show that I take them for that since ds hasnt been for one since he was 4mo. Only took him when he got sick.

That is true....BUT in all my years I have NEVER had a doctor check in my kids underwear for a kindergarten physical...I have had doctors ask me if everything was "okay with the genitals"...or "any questions"... but I think I would throw down if a doctor just started touching or looking at my kids privates...as a matter of fact before we even go to the doctors I ask my kids (both female or male) about it and see if they would be okay with that...to which they say ..."no way"... their body and no one gets to stare at them or touch them with out their permission (unless something was medically necsassary, of course).
This inspection would be alarming to me.
Tricia

momma to 7
:
#15 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM

I'd check the form, because in FL a DC (chiropractor) can do the annual PE and I think they would be more inclined to ignore non-vax or intactness.

I'm done with diaper-free exams. The doc got too close to retracting before I had to forcefully remove her hands. If they can't have their diaper on during an exam, they don't need to go unless they're sick!

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#16 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Posts have been removed that were in violation of our forum guidelines:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1084877

Quote:
It is our wish that The Case Against Circumcision be an informative and welcoming space for those who are new to the subject of circumcision. This is not a space to bash others. In an effort to minimize language which might alienate those seeking information, we are cautious about using pejorative terms such as abuse, barbarism, mutilation, etc. when routinely discussing circumcision. Let the facts speak for themselves.
We will not tolerate posts that are insulting to others. Please use respectful language at all times. Please PM me with any questions, thanks!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#17 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 02:34 PM

TOO LONG??? : Erectile problems come from too short (after circ), not too long.

Is there not a pedi who is more in line with your evidence-based views?

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#18 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have looked for other peds but this is the "best" practice I know of. They have office hours 7 days a week and are really good about not prescribing meds when not needed.

I sat there before the Dr. came in and tried to decide if I wanted to allow the testicle check or not and decided that I would allow it because he could have a small hernia that I would never know about. I have no idea what to look for either. I know ds has no pain in that area but there are times when a hernia is present without pain.

I mentioned before about not seeing this ped or the other I had issue with in the past with retraction there are 5 others to choose from and I will go through them to find one that is better suited to our needs.

It really is sad that this is even an issue I want to do what is best for my kids without having to fight every step of the way *sigh*

They do offer free physicals at the school and you can choose to be there or not for them. Cant imagine not being there but some parents choose not to be : Maybe that would be the best way to go if I could be there? Not sure if that Dr. would want to do a hernia check or not but dh says it is a routine part of a physical for a male.

#19 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 PM

at first I thouht you put "practice" in quotes. hehehe.
#20 of 34 Old 08-15-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

A bit OT here but worth mentioning.

I didnt mention it in the OP but he also unbuttoned and unzipped dd's pants to check her lower tummy and femoral pulse. He did not ask dd if he could do this : He did it so fast though I didnt even have time to think about it. *sigh*

I also forgot the fact that both kids had to pee in a cup to test for diabetes and a few other things I cant remember and dd's came back with a trace of protein and according to him that makes the second time. He then said Now about your ds and then got this bemused expression on his face when he saw that ds's urine was perfect I got the very strong impression by his voice and attitude that he was a bit put of that ds's "nasty" foreskin wasnt causing problems

Dh said I should tape the visits so that people could really see how irritating and upsetting a visit like that can be. When I told dh what the Dr. said he said BS my cousin J's was way longer than ds's and obviously he is fine since he has since fathered several kids.

#21 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:

Dh said I should tape the visits so that people could really see how irritating and upsetting a visit like that can be. When I told dh what the Dr. said he said BS my cousin J's was way longer than ds's and obviously he is fine since he has since fathered several kids.
My DH has a "long" foreskin, and has no problems at all with erections or UTIs. His one and only run in any inflammation was soap related.
#22 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
A bit OT here but worth mentioning.

I didnt mention it in the OP but he also unbuttoned and unzipped dd's pants to check her lower tummy and femoral pulse. He did not ask dd if he could do this : He did it so fast though I didnt even have time to think about it. *sigh*
I hadn't been to a well-child visit since I was 6. Then my parents suddenly decided that I needed to go for one when I was 13. The dr unzipped my jeans w/o asking or telling me what he was doing. And he massaged my pubic hair. I was so humiliated. I am burning thinking about it. Please consider not allowing doctors to do that to your kids. I will never allow a doctor to grope my children that way. (I realize that you are a caring mom. The anger in my post is at the doctors and the government regulations supporting their racket).
#23 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

After this I am going to go with a no checking under the pants rule. I am still torn about ds though what if he has a hernia and I miss it? It appears that some dr. do it and some do not so I am thinking it isnt really needed. I am going to tell dd in the future that she can say no if they start undoing her pants again. I just didnt think honestly I was worried about how the no vax was going to go and worried because I knew there was a chance I would have to remove a dr's hand from ds after I had said no.

So much to think about and half that shouldnt even have had to be an issue. Once I said religious exemption that should have been the end of it right there. The same goes for leaving ds's foreskin alone I should not have to watch them like a hawk to make sure he was not hurt.

I am going to check for next year about the free physical at school and if they just do the basics and leave the genitals out of it I am going to go that route.

This parenting thing is hard enough without having to deal with things like that. *sigh*

#24 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM

what are they checking for anyways? WTF difference does it make to attend school?

What does my childs penis have to do with arithmetic?
#25 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here they have a physical for pre k, K, 1-3rd then they skip a year or 2 and have to have one again. It isnt a coincidence IMO that that timing meets up exactly with the recommended vax schedule. :

DS has made it nearly 5 years with his foreskin that way growing as he grows now all the sudden it is to long amazing how it is viewed like a dorment volcano just waiting to erupt and cause all kinds of horrible issues :

#26 of 34 Old 08-16-2009, 11:12 PM

You absolutely can decline the physical on religious terms.

-Angela
#27 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

How can I justify saying no to a physical on religious grounds but still take them to the Dr. to get meds when they are sick?

I dont have a problem with a physical other than the genital check and the grilling about vaxing.

#28 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernG View Post
I hadn't been to a well-child visit since I was 6. Then my parents suddenly decided that I needed to go for one when I was 13. The dr unzipped my jeans w/o asking or telling me what he was doing. And he massaged my pubic hair. I was so humiliated. I am burning thinking about it. Please consider not allowing doctors to do that to your kids. I will never allow a doctor to grope my children that way. (I realize that you are a caring mom. The anger in my post is at the doctors and the government regulations supporting their racket).
I am sorry you were humiliated like this! This reminds me of something my brother said in regards to raising children. He said "We don't get to chose the moments our kids will remember forever."

The liberties that medical staff regarding basic matters of respect are so wrong.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#29 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
How can I justify saying no to a physical on religious grounds but still take them to the Dr. to get meds when they are sick?

I dont have a problem with a physical other than the genital check and the grilling about vaxing.
this is probably philosophical, but you could be opposed to waste. take verses about being a good steward and run with them. since physicals aren't necessary medical care, they waste medical resources causing you to violate your religious beliefs about being a good steward.
#30 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Never even thought of that FernG thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page