Possible infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

So my 2 1/2 year old has partial retracted his forskin(sp?). I never mess with it but today he had this massive poop so I just lower it till were it is still attached and discovered it was red and there was a pus-like discharge. I gently squeezed a little and he wimpered and didn't want me to touch it. Of course, I stopped but now I am wondering what I can do to help treat it. I guess I could use an antibiotic ointment or calendula cream.

Any recommendations?

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#2 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Hi everyone,

So my 2 1/2 year old has partial retracted his forskin(sp?). I never mess with it but today he had this massive poop so I just lower it till were it is still attached and discovered it was red and there was a pus-like discharge. I gently squeezed a little and he wimpered and didn't want me to touch it. Of course, I stopped but now I am wondering what I can do to help treat it. I guess I could use an antibiotic ointment or calendula cream.

Any recommendations?
This is not an infection. Infections present as massive swelling to the penis and groin area. Fever is also present with infection.

The normal separation process causes some smegma discharge, irritation/reddness, moderate swelling, and other symptoms. These symptoms are all normal and just a sign that your son's foreskin is doing what it is supposed to do.

Here is a helpful thread about the normal development of the intact boy and what to do as far as care goes. Make sure you are never trying to retract his foreskin, this can lead to tearing and cause a wound that may become infected.

Fore separation trauma I always recommend soaking your son in a bath with a little baking soda. This will soothe the area. 1/4 cup for a small bath is plenty.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...893&highlight=

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#3 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 12:28 PM

: sounds like seperation issues to me not an infection Another good thread with information on seperation http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732

The glans are supposed to be a bright red/purple on an intact penis that is normal.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
The glans are supposed to be a bright red/purple on an intact penis that is normal.
And just incase another Mom with a cut son asks this question, yes its also normal for circed boys to have the same wide range of coloration, just on intact penises the coloration is slightly brighter.

resolving questions before there even asked perspective.
#5 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM

The "pus" was most likely smegma, so no worry there. As PPs point out the color is normal.

The glans when covered by the foreskin is highly sensitive, touching the exposed plans is similar to pulling back on the clitoral hood and touching the exposed clitoris. As you can imagine, most women would also wimper and want you to stop if you squeezed that.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 7 Old 08-16-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I was wondering if it was just normal seperation and smegma. I also thought the same thing about him being sensitive. That's why I wrote something here instead of taking to the doctor. I just wanted to be sure, jic. I'm going to give him a bath in some baking soda.

: I love mdc.

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#7 of 7 Old 08-17-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodygumdrops View Post
Thanks everyone. I was wondering if it was just normal seperation and smegma. I also thought the same thing about him being sensitive. That's why I wrote something here instead of taking to the doctor. I just wanted to be sure, jic. I'm going to give him a bath in some baking soda.

: I love mdc.
If you want to ever put anything on the tip for irritation. A & D ointment or a diaper rash ointment is okay too. Glad you asked here first!

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page