Anyone with OLDER intact sons - please respond! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 09-18-2009, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
I haven't read any responses, but my son is almost 13, in middle school, has been in gym for 2 years now, spent the night at many kids houses and has gone on band trips where they did shower etc. after playing in the ocean.

These are the things my son says.

1. NO ONE looks at each others penis'. Sadly so many kids are still ridiculous and homophobic that if they teased someone about being intact, the one who pointed it out would probably be ridiculed for being "gay". Sad, but that is worse in the teasing department.

2. No one cares. My son has mentioned to kids that he was intact, and they were like "cool".

3. My son is glad that "no one cut off my penis".

4. I have a 3 month old son and while debating circ with my DH (new husband), my son said "stay away from his penis, it is not yours, you can't decide, I don't look at my dads penis so why would he be looking at yours".
awesome!

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#32 of 45 Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 PM

Neither my intact dh or my intact ex-bf (both in their mid-20s now) were ever teased because of their circumcision status. The circumcision rates are MUCH lower now than they were when either man was born so I would imagine that the chance of being teased would be even lower for boys born now.

Dh also doesn't "match" his father and it was never a big deal at all. Both he and I are very glad that his parents left his genitals alone and didn't alter them before he could either object or give consent.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#33 of 45 Old 09-18-2009, 04:40 PM

I wanted to add that I asked ds1 about this, and he not only said that nobody has ever mentioned it, but that none of his friends have ever seen it. He says there isn't time to shower between classes, so "the guys" don't see him naked. He also says, as others have mentioned, that if someone did happen to see his penis, there is no way they'd comment on it, because then they'd have everyone their case for "checking out another guy's junk" (junk...why "junk"?).

My ex (circ'd) and I split up when ds1 was 7. At that time, ds1 was still non-retractable. He never once mentioned the difference between him and his dad, except to ask once why daddy had hair down there. I think he was about 2.5 at that time.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#34 of 45 Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Teasing is a total myth. I spent all 12 years of grade school in a boys only boarding school with totaly open, communal showers. One could not help but notice everyone else's status. In elementary school everyone looked, and the only comment that I recall was from a friend, at age 6, wondering why we were missing our foreskins. We had both recently discovered that other boys had something that we did not, and were quite horrified at the realisation that a piece of our penis had been cut off. Homophobia did not appear on anyone's radar until high school. I never witnessed one comment or teasing based on circumcision status. It was just accepted that there were two kinds of penis.
#35 of 45 Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 PM

My son is only 9.5 so I guess he doesnt count, although he is VERY proud of his penis and hasn't been made fun of at all.

My exes 2 brothers are intact and niether has ever been made fun of. They're adults now, in their 20's.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#36 of 45 Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 AM

My two intact sons are adults now, and neither of them was teased for it. And we live in the circ-happy Midwest!

Keep in mind that the circ. rate is lower now than it was when we were young, so your ds will have plenty of company.
#37 of 45 Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM

My DS is 17. Hi has never noticed that him and Dad were different. When he was about 8ish (can't remember the sure age) he did ask me why his penis was in the inside and friends was on the outside. I told him that some parents feel like it is best to remove the skin that covers the penis when their boys are born but we thought it was best to leave it alone. He made a face something like this and said you mean that they cut off part of friends name penis I said yes and he seemed to think that was a very bad idea to say the least.

As he has gotten older I have asked if anyone has ever said anything to him and he assured me that anyone talking about and admitting that they noticed someone else penis would be the one made fun of not the owner of the penis.

He dates, he plays sports, has been caught skinny dipping and does pretty a normal teenage boy stuff with out being ostracized by his peers. He has also never, never expressed a desire to have his foreskin removed
#38 of 45 Old 09-21-2009, 01:00 PM

I asked my 15 yr old this before replying to a post elsewhere. He said he doesn't know if his friends are cut and he doesn't think they know that he isn't. He doesn't see it as a big deal.
#39 of 45 Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone for the replies! I certainly agree with those that have mentioned that this certainly wouldn't qualify as a reason to circ a child; I just wanted to ask the question to have my bases covered. And now I do! Thanks again - it was nice to hear from the men too on this issue!!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#40 of 45 Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update to say that DH and I discussed again, and he has agreed to no circ He said it just isn't that important to him either way, and I seem to feel strongly, so we're going to not circ if this one is a boy!! I'll update y'all again in 15 weeks or so

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
#41 of 45 Old 12-02-2009, 04:23 PM

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#42 of 45 Old 12-03-2009, 12:36 AM

How wonderful! I am so glad to here this and I can't wait to hear the baby news when he/she decides to make an appearance! I wish you a wonderful birth!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#43 of 45 Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wonderful news!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#44 of 45 Old 12-03-2009, 07:58 AM

My DP is intact and says he never encountered teasing, etc. He grew up in Southern CA, if that makes a difference.

Expat mama to my 7-year-old Halloween boy and my cheeky preschooler, who came before the midwife in January 2010... Gestating a new bean, debuting spring 2014!
#45 of 45 Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 AM

Great news and fantastic job on your part being proactive and doing your homework!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page