I'm devastated, DS with multiple UTIs - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 87 Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride View Post
Thank you, Naturalyst. That is some information that might get us somewhere.
Are they doing cultures to find the UTIs or just urine samples?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#62 of 87 Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

cultures

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#63 of 87 Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
cultures
Are they cathing him to get the samples?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#64 of 87 Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

No, he's never been cath'ed.

#65 of 87 Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Could you maybe ask the Drs to think about what they would be suggesting if he were female? Explore all of the options that do not involve the exterior of the penis. (Which is what others are doing in this thread but maybe the Drs would have some other ideas if they could stop even considering the foreskin.)
#66 of 87 Old 09-23-2009, 11:15 AM

((Hugs)) QOTP... keep us updated...Just couldn't pass by without offering some support.
Keep challenging the doctors.
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#67 of 87 Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
No, he's never been cath'ed.
If hes not bing athed and only getting bac on cultures, i would really rethink weather he is having UTIs to begin with, Cultures are really sensitive and the only way they can really tell if there is an issue is with a cath.....because bacteria from the anus or from the genitalia can cause positive bactera to grow on the cultures. Is he getting possessive urine samples for utis?

#68 of 87 Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

We just had another culture run a couple days ago, and it was clear. But DS has been saying that it hurts to pee. He has frequently had rashes on his upper thighs and scrotum because somehow he is getting a little bit of urine on his underwear (almost all the time). He doesn't tell us and is often wearing this slightly damp underwear. I don't know if he lacks bladder control or waits too long to start moving towards the bathroom, or if it's from the last dribble of urine he doesn't want to wait for. It really does not look like yeast, as I've seen plenty of yeasty diaper rashes. We are using hydrocortisone on it, and it helps. Maybe he has this rash inside his foreskin?

#69 of 87 Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 PM

Could it be something he is eating/drinking that is maybe too acidic?

I really would have a hard time accepting that he is getting that many UTIs if they are just done with un cathed cultures. That just isnt reliable.

My dd has a hard time with rashes and burning urine after she has drank OJ or eaten alot of tomatoes. It makes her urine highly acidic and then it will burn her skin too and leave a rash.

#70 of 87 Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyblackdot View Post
Could it be something he is eating/drinking that is maybe too acidic?

I really would have a hard time accepting that he is getting that many UTIs if they are just done with un cathed cultures. That just isnt reliable.

My dd has a hard time with rashes and burning urine after she has drank OJ or eaten alot of tomatoes. It makes her urine highly acidic and then it will burn her skin too and leave a rash.
Well the first three times, he most definitely was sick with a UTI. Fever, lethargy, not eating, and very painful urination. Since then he's complained on and off of mildly painful urination, but has had clear urine cultures. I have considered that it is related to his diet. He won't eat tomatoes, and I hate OJ myself, so I don't buy it. But I figure if I can get him drinking more water, that might solve the issue. And I've talked to him about keeping his underwear dry too.

#71 of 87 Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Mildly painful urination could be seperation related if the pain was not in his abdomen but more in the penis area.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#72 of 87 Old 09-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Phimosis can NOT be diagnosed on anyone who has not completed puberty. This is a phony diagnosis on children that happens all too often in our foreskin ignorant society. The foreskin is fused to the glans to protect the urethral opening from bacteria.

For UTI I have a solution for you that will kill the bacteria. Citricidal Grapefruit Extract. It must be the Citricidal professional brand. Buy it and drop it in some cranberry juice or other juice. It is bitter but it works wonders at knocking out harmful bacteria and yeast. I will do a little looking to see how much you should give and how often.

Foreskin has nothing to do with recurrent UTI. Circ will solve nothing.

Chances are that it is in your genetics. Be sure that your son is not playing with his penis a lot after wiping. Make sure he knows wipe front to back and wash his hands well. Sometimes it happens that a boy is exploring himself a lot actually introduce the bacteria from their bums to their penis.

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#73 of 87 Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 PM

How's your boy Queen?
#74 of 87 Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 AM

Hi
I didnt have time to read all the replies so sorry if this has already been said!
my daughter has the EXACT same thing as your son - repeated urine infections which show the e coli bacteria.
so thats the Circumcision arguement out the window - i just cant see how foreskin can cause ecoli but there you go.

My doctor told me that ecoli can live in the intestines, or anywehere for many many many months and so what may seem like repeated infections is actually just a number of flare ups of the same infection.

I dont know what treatments your son ahs receive etc but my daughter has been reffered to the hospital consultant, she has had a number of urine checks, antibiotics and is having her kidneys scanned this coming friday to rule out any problems but also to check for damage since e coli CAN damage kidneys.

forgot to add we were told a number of things to prevent reinfection including: NO baths just showers as bacteria from their little bottoms gets into the water then swishes around and can end up back on their way to the bladder.

probiotics drinks

loads and loads of water to drink

no harsh cleaning of genitals just a quick siwsh in the shower no rubbing and def no soap

there was more I cant think of now! - but my daughter has been symptom free for a couple of months now

sophie

Mummy to Jessica (5) Jacob (3) and Bethan (9 months) and number 4 due August 2010!!
#75 of 87 Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 AM

just a thought,

interstitial cystitis?
#76 of 87 Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM

Hi, what a difficult time you've been having! I hope your boy is doing better now.

I'm in the UK where no-one would think to circ for something like this. I know one adult male who was recently circ'd after he developed persistent phimosis (after 7 months of agony and unsuccessful treatments). Sadly he hates his new state but says it is somewhat better than the pain he was in...anyway, he is nearly 40, not 5!

I was wondering if you sorted out the constipation? The wet undies made me think of a not-properly empty bladder, with the last few drops sort of leaking down, his "resting" his penis on the waistband could also cause a few drops to be held back. Does he "shake" after he pees? Getting him to use his fly or pull his trousers and pants right down out of the way while he pees and give a good shake then dry (the few drops hanging on the end of the foreskin) gently with tp might help him leak less - a few drops coming after the main even is very common because the muscles which open or close to release or hold back the pee are at the base of the penis (as i'm sure you know) so you can end up with the penis having some still hanging around in there. But if he's constipated it's possible his bladder isn't emptying well at all.

This hasn't been mentioned here yet, and possibly there's some reason which i am unaware of, but my DD got very constipated and had some UTI-type soreness when she was 2. She got into a cycle of it hurting to poop, so she would hold it back for 3 or 4 days until she couldn't stop it anymore and then cry for 60-90mins before eventually having a poo which was always rock hard and several times she got anal fissures. My poor baby! Anyway i went with syrup-of-figs with senna. I gave her half the recommended dose for a kid her age every day for a week, then every other day for a week, then every third day for a week. She has been fine ever since. I know with senna some people fear the bowel will come to rely on it, but that really wasn't my experience, once we had remedied the initial problem and made going to poop comfortable long enough that she no longer feared it she was fine. I've used it twice since, both times when she's had a few days of not drinking enough then a fissure from a hard poop, so she can have a looser day while it heals a little. Anyway, just a thought. I hope your little guy is doing much better soon!
#77 of 87 Old 10-07-2009, 03:31 PM

My son had one UTI that took us months to clear up. Finally, another poster on here recommended Keflex (I think that was the name of the antibiotic).

I took him to a pediatric urologist who suggested circ but said if he circ'd him and it didn't fix the UTI then we can't put the foreskin back on. For us, circ'ing wasn't an option.

We had an ultrasound done that came back clear. He said at my son's age (five) that if there were problems it would probably have shown up on the ultrasound but not always. He suggested a VCUG. I asked for a course of the antibiotics suggested on here first and he agreed that we could try it. He said the e. coli could have colonized under the foreskin and the antibiotic suggested could clear it up if that were the case (the way he described it didn't make sense but...). So, we did the antibiotic for four weeks and it cleared it up completely.

I also found out that my son, who was learning to wipe his own bottom, was taking the tissue and dabbing the tip of his penis after he'd wiped. So, in effect doing what happens to girls when we wipe from back to front. We explained that transfers the germs and if he needed to dab his penis to do it first and then wipe.

If you feel your son needs a VCUG look into the possible risks associated with GA. I don't think I would ever put my child under GA unless absolutely necessary - too many risks for my liking. I didn't want a VCUG but if the antibiotics hadn't cleared it we would have had one done. I've read up on the risks of undiagnosed kidney problems in kids and the lifelong problems it can cause. If we had needed a VCUG I would have gone with the local children's hospital.

Every now and then my son will complain that he thinks he's getting another UTI. It always seems to happen when he is dehydrated. Same thing happens to my DH. If he doesn't have enough water during the day it will hurt when he pees at night. So, we increase DS's water intake and so far, fingers crossed, we haven't had another one.

How is your son feeling? If he is still having problems I'd do as other have suggested and ask the doc what treatment they would pose if he was already circ'd and to quit focusing on his foreskin. Tell them it isn't an option to circ and to help you find a cure.

Best wishes.
#78 of 87 Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post

I took him to a pediatric urologist who suggested circ but said if he circ'd him and it didn't fix the UTI then we can't put the foreskin back on. For us, circ'ing wasn't an option.
#79 of 87 Old 10-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
But do you think the 'anatomical' problem might be that he is squishing the underside of his penis with his waistband while he urinates?
It might be worth teaching him not to do this.

My daughter had some UTIs. Constipation and holding on instead of peeing when needed were big contributing factors.
#80 of 87 Old 10-08-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

He seems OK. We're pushing water and vegetables. But several days ago he had a big spot of blood in his underwear. It was in the front, clearly from his penis. I asked him if he was playing with himself and maybe hurt himself, but he said no. Shocking, but he's been fine since.

#81 of 87 Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 PM

The blood is probably from seperation but I have to ask are you the only care giver he has? You mentioned an ex in the OP? I hate to even go there but I couldnt help but think abuse of some sort.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#82 of 87 Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think he's abused. He's pretty confident and outspoken. He is cared for by ex, ex's girlfriend, ex's parents, daycare, and Kinder.

#83 of 87 Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I don't think he's abused. He's pretty confident and outspoken. He is cared for by ex, ex's girlfriend, ex's parents, daycare, and Kinder.
Do any of them ever bath him? Even if nobody would intentionally hurt him, someone might be retracting him and cleaning him.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#84 of 87 Old 10-09-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
Do any of them ever bath him? Even if nobody would intentionally hurt him, someone might be retracting him and cleaning him.
I don't think so, but I'll ask ex about it. I think he could have hurt himself, either 'playing' or maybe playing outside, falling off his bike or something like that. He's pretty rough and tumble.

#85 of 87 Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Sky

A pp mentioned kidney reflux.... has he been tested for this? I would definitly go to a pediatric urologist asap, this could be the issue. hope all gets solved for you little guy soon.

crunchy peace.gif yet conservative nocirc.gif EBF, ERF, loving wife to DHlove.gif  SAHM to little prince DS5 and princess DD9 and younger DD 30 wk preemie princess born 10 weeks early! 3/15/12

#86 of 87 Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM

You mention he has a bowel movement once a day, but I'm wondering about the consistency of it. (TMI I know, but it's important) Is it soft and easy for him to go or is it like stones? Stone-like, or hard at all, is indicative of constipation.

Constipation can contribute to UTIs, but even with constipation that number of UTIs is a huge red flag for a child who needs further urologic testing. My daughter has had testing including VCUGs several times and never had any sedation for any of it.

Constipation issues along with urologic issues can also be indicative of something neurologic going on. Your comments recently about leakage could also indicate that or it could be leakage caused by pressure on his bladder from backed-up stool.

You need to get him further testing. Soon. I can't sugar coat that in any form. Others on this thread have said it, but if he does have reflux it can lead to serious health risks. Far beyond any concerns over circumcision (which you definitely shouldn't allow at all and it's an absurd suggestion) is the concern for kidney damage.

Here's a link for a study on sedation during VCUG. You can discuss it with the ped uro. Many ped uros don't like to do sedation for VCUGs because of the concern that it will affect the results of the test. Also, since the test is relatively quick there are concerns about the risks of the sedation itself since it is not absolutely needed. You ped uro most likely will never agree to full anesthesia, but maybe you two can agree on some sort of light sedation.
#87 of 87 Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 AM

The risk of death with GA no matter how small is not worth it IMO for a simple test that takes less than 5min. I would do anything to keep my kids pain free and from being traumatized, but doing GA when it isnt a life and death situation isnt happening. But that is just my way of doing things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page