I'm going to ask a stupid question, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2004, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some insight. I recently gave birth to two beautiful little boys. They are uncircumcized and I just want to make sure I'm cleaning them properly. Obviously, as a woman, I have no clue about cleaning male genetalia and my dh is circumcized, so he's no help. Am I supposed to move back the foreskin when I clean them or not? So far we haven't had any issues with infection or anything, but I don't want to take a chance of messing things up!

Thanks for any info/advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 05:50 PM

No, don't push back the forskin, just wash the outside- very easy maintenance.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 02-08-2004, 09:33 PM

Not yet! I would let them do that one their own. My oldest ds did it on his own around 3 1/2. I never pushed it back and he's never had any type of infection.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, I haven't been pushing back the foreskin, but suddenly I thought about it and wondered if I was supposed to. The hospital staff gave me a bunch of directions on my discharge papers for bathing/cleaning a circumcized boy, but there wasn't anything for uncircumcized. Duh!

Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:03 AM

Congratulations on leaving your sons intact.

Here are a couple of links that should explain it all:

http://www.geocities.com/raisingintactsons/

http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/

My 6 yr. old grandson is intact and has never had any problems with his foreskin. We have NEVER retracted it to clean underneath or for any other reason.

Usually when the child is about 5-6 months he will start to pull and tuck at his penis. He'll soon increase that activity whenever he gets a chance. By the time he is 2 he will be with one hand on his penis whenever it is feasible. That's when we let our grandson run naked lots of times.
At that age they have the urge and need to separate the foreskin from the glans and by the boy constantly playing with it this will be achieved.
No one should touch the penis other than the boy, and he should be allowed to touch it whenever he wants to.
The separation process is a slow one. It takes several years.
My grandson's foreskin separated when he was 5 but many boys' does not separate till they are teenager. But it will happen in due time.
You will never have to clean under the foreskin, it is actually not necessary until he is a teenager and he will then do it all by himself.
But after the foreskin is detached, at times you might want to tell your boy to pull it back in the tube and rinse under it. Actually it is not necessary but some mothers seem to detect a little odor, and just rinsing it will not hurt anything.

For now, you should be aware that some doctors do not know that the foreskin should be left alone. We've had mothers come on the board that were very upset because they took their son in for a check up and the dr. just matter of factly pulled the foreskin back. Be warned that you should tell your doctor you don't want him to retract your son or even touch the penis, because when the little muscle in front is pulled back it will not close tightly again. And the function of the foreskin is to keep out everything, bacteria, germs, dirt, thus preventing any infection.
The tighter the foreskin is attached to the glans, the better it can protect it.

Good luck!

Intact care agreement for pediatrician...
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/care.html

To hospital before giving birth
http://www.noharmm.org/

Cute article: It’s a boy...
http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

Dr. Fleiss’ most common reasons for post-neonatal circ...
http://www.nocirc.org/articles/fleiss2.html
Old 02-09-2004, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleurette
The hospital staff gave me a bunch of directions on my discharge papers for bathing/cleaning a circumcized boy, but there wasn't anything for uncircumcized. Duh!

Thanks again!
I noticed that- about 4 pages of info on how to care for circ, but nothing about intact. That was one of the things that cemented the decision to not cut. (Formula feeding vs. breastfeeding was the same way- 2 paragraphs for breastfeedig, 4 pages for formula)

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 02-09-2004, 10:12 AM

The reason there are no care instructions is because there is nothing to do. They don't give you instructions on how to care for a daughter's vagina because there are none. However, they should realize that there are so many wrong ideas out there that it is difficult to care for an intact boy and the misconception that the foreskin should be retracted and cleaned inside that they should give instructions on what not to do. They should tell mothers that there is no unusual care for the intact penis had that the foreskin should never be retracted for any reason. However, ignorance is still the rule of the day in the medical profession.

Frank

User Tag List