Does she HAVE to circ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-11-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just talked to my cousin who is very upset because docs (ped., urologist etc.) told her that she may need to circ her four year old. Apparently she took him in because of white bumps on his penis (which turned out to be nothing) and when they retracted his foreskin they found pieces of tissue. they said that it was due to a low-grade adhesion and sifts (?). I was under the impression that skin there was normal and that you aren't supposed to fully retract the foreskin. Regardless she asked me what I thought and my thought is that if it doesn't bother him-and it doesn't- to leave it alone. If there's loose skin it will work it's way out. I'm not sure though so I was wondering if anyone here knows about it. I can't see this poor kid being circ'd because a doctor thinks it's easier or something.
#2 of 3 Old 02-12-2004, 12:28 AM

Let's hit the issues one at a time.

First, I suspect that the white bumps are pearly penile papules and they are indeed nothing. They may go away with time and they may not. They are not an indication of anything and will not affect him at all. They are certainly not an indication for circumcision.

The pieces of tissue are remnants of the epithelium tissue. It's this tissue that bonds the foreskin to the glans in young boys and is exactly the same tissue that bonds your finger nails to the nail bed and is the only tissue in the human body that breaks down like this without replacing itself. there is no equivalent in females. This tissue is absolutely normal and the body will expell it over time. It certainly is not an indication for circumcision.

It is absolutely normal for a four year old boy to have some remaining normal and natural adhesions. They will break down over time and disappear. Again, not an indication for circumcision under any circumstances.

This doctor has shown amazing ignorance of the normal male body. All of this information is readily available and easily accessible even to the lay person. It is inexcuseable for a doctor to not have this information and is an indicator that he may be woefully behing on other issues. I would strongly recommend your cousin finding another physician who keeps up with current information and technology. Her son's life and health may depend on it.

Why don't you recommend that your cousin visit this forum? We may be able to be very helpful to her.

Frank
#3 of 3 Old 02-12-2004, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Frank. I just may do that. She's not a member and can't post, but I figured once i asked she could come on and read the answers. You have been very helpful!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page