Could somebody please tell me.......... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how people can be so ignorant and do this to their boys?

I am just floored. I had a 30 minute conversation tonight with a woman who thought circ was necessary, that it was just a snip, and that it was painless. In fact, her dr. told her that "he did so good he didn't even need anesthesia."
I just wanted to grab her and scream how cruel can you possibly get? Would you have freaking surgery on your genitals without anesthesia? Are you going to cosmetically alter their damn noses if they don't match their dad's either? NO, IT IS NOT BETWEEN HUBBY AND BOYS, YOUR BOYS HAD ABSOLUTELY NO SAY IN IT WHATSOEVER!

She did seem very open-minded about what I had to say. But, I also know that people usually start the "you might be right" when they're sick and tired of listening to you.

I am so sick of stupid people. You do not have to be a text-book to be smart, but, when you know absolutely nothing then yes, I think you are stupid. You have the internet at your fingertips and you know zip, zero, zilch!!! There is no excuse for that!! None at all.

LOL Now that I have riled myself into a frenzy I better go, kiss my boys, throw a tantrum, and put myself to bed.

Thanx for listening to my ranting and raving.

Bye,

Megan :computer:
#2 of 3 Old 02-12-2004, 03:04 AM

Well, that was me with my first. I'm not trying to make excuses--if I had just sat down and actually THOUGHT about it I would have realized that he wouldn't be born deformed and need surgery to correct him, but sometimes we just accept what we've always been taught.

I remember being about 10 when I saw a circumstraint in the pediatrician's office. I asked my mom about it, she explained, and I asked incredulously, "doesn't that hurt?" and she answered, "yes, but it's just a little snip, and you have to do it." Now my mom is a wonderful, smart woman who breastfed us all when it wasn't popular and always loved and respected us, but she trusted doctors and the doctors had always told her "You have to do it!"

Plus I'd never seen an intact penis and the nurse in our childbirth class said "It's just a little snip!" and dh said, "I almost died of a UTI! We can't let him die from a UTI!" and my dad said, " I had to be circ'ed at age 12..."

Thankfully I knew better by the time #2 came along. Sometimes all it takes is a differing voice. THANK YOU for educating your friend. I don't consider myself stupid, just a victim (although my son is the main victim and his future wife the next-in-line) of a huge deception that permeates our culture. I use my experience to gently educate others. Hopefully we'll turn the tide on genital mutilation.
#3 of 3 Old 02-12-2004, 03:39 AM

I feel just like you do today. People's ignorance just blows me away. Slowly but surely we're changing the way America thinks about circ, and in time circ will be a thing of the past.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page