Defending your decision - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would follow up with this printed out for them to read. It is clear they are badly misinformed, and further do not know how to make a rational decision:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...yStatement.pdf

Note, I would do this in a way that 1) gives them some understanding of your basis for making the decision, and 2) gives them an authoritative reference for information.

Then I would just let it lie unless they bring it up again. You might want to do some research on their belief system and it's underpinnings that support RIC, many people think that there are requirments for RIC when the references used to support these beliefs do not actually do so. You also may want to do some research on cases where our government and society have ruled against the parent's wishes to protect the rights of dependents. It is a common fallacy that if a parent can show supporting documentation to a belief, then they can do it no matter what. Female circumcision being a good example, but there are others.

Best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am preparing myself for the exact same argument, and expecting to get the "I'm a nurse and I know best" line from my MIL too. I'd like to tell her that she's clueless and outdated and I'd be horrofied to find out that she was the only nurse available in a scary situation, but I'm no good at confrontation or standing up for myself sometimes so thanks for your posting. It gives me courage to know I'm not alone!
#33 of 34 Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adinanikki View Post
I am preparing myself for the exact same argument, and expecting to get the "I'm a nurse and I know best" line from my MIL too. I'd like to tell her that she's clueless and outdated and I'd be horrofied to find out that she was the only nurse available in a scary situation, but I'm no good at confrontation or standing up for myself sometimes so thanks for your posting. It gives me courage to know I'm not alone!
You may want to have this printed and ready to hand her:

http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...yStatement.pdf

It is written by doctors, covers the main points, and has a good set of references.

Best wishes
#34 of 34 Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In situations like this, maybe it would be good to have your Husband speak up. I know my husband and I have had some great child rearing discussions pre-baby. Granted there is a lot of ground to cover. Step one is that you and your baby are more important than his relationship with his folks.
If you both know how you want to parent after the baby is born, HE should be able to speak up if necessary. Like, you both think EBF is best, he should say, oh, the baby needs to stay with his mamma.
And also, by taking your baby snow-shoeing and outdoors at such a young age you are setting the stage for the future activity levels of your children. AWESOME.

There was one poster on some thread who said that he deals with his parents you deal with your parents.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page