Reputable source for current circ rate in the US? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm expecting DS2 in December, and DH and I have set an appointment for tomorrow night to discuss circumcision. DS1 was circ'ed (I'm Jewish and we had a bris) and I feel guilty for not having thought more about it before we did so with him. DH is very pro-circ and I can already tell it's going to be a battle. One of his arguments is that he doesn't want our son to be the only uncircumcised boy in the locker room when he's a teenager and get made fun of by the other boys. I know that the rate of circumcision has dropped a lot and so by the time he's in high school, it won't be so "weird" or "taboo" to be intact. A friend in my AP group told me the current rate was around 55/45 circ/non-circ, but I can't find a resource for that and I know DH will ask for one.

If anyone can help me find a reputable source with some statistics, I would really appreciate it. TIA!

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM

Just Google US circumcision rate...

Also, don't let your DH talk you into it YOU are that baby's only line of defense even if that means against daddy.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#3 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post
I'm expecting DS2 in December, and DH and I have set an appointment for tomorrow night to discuss circumcision. DS1 was circ'ed (I'm Jewish and we had a bris) and I feel guilty for not having thought more about it before we did so with him. DH is very pro-circ and I can already tell it's going to be a battle. One of his arguments is that he doesn't want our son to be the only uncircumcised boy in the locker room when he's a teenager and get made fun of by the other boys. I know that the rate of circumcision has dropped a lot and so by the time he's in high school, it won't be so "weird" or "taboo" to be intact. A friend in my AP group told me the current rate was around 55/45 circ/non-circ, but I can't find a resource for that and I know DH will ask for one.

If anyone can help me find a reputable source with some statistics, I would really appreciate it. TIA!
It is really hard to say with any certainty because there is no central group keeping track. They're paid for differently and sometimes done outside the hospital. I would use your play group as a reliable figure, I see you're in NY this article indicated that only 43% of boys born in NYC were circumcised in recent years and I read a different article (which I can't seem to find) where the author was talking about her decision and at their child birth class the pedi told them only about 10% of his clients circumcised. Your tag says you're upstate but perhaps this will be relevant to you anyway.
#4 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 07:25 PM

The current circ rate is indeed 55.7% according to the National Hospital Discharge Survey. So, the old 'locker room' argument doesn't hold water. But then, it never did. Children can be cruel, and if your son isn't teased about his penile status he'll be teased about something else. Gonna cut off another body part just in case some jerk-child teases your son about that? Of course not. Like I said, doesn't hold water. Rather, teach your son self-respect and to ignore ignoramuses. The REAL reason Dads cut their son is so that THEY don't have to deal with the fact that his parents cut off part of his 'manhood.' It really is that simple.
#5 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bollinger View Post
The current circ rate is indeed 55.7% according to the National Hospital Discharge Survey. So, the old 'locker room' argument doesn't hold water. But then, it never did. Children can be cruel, and if your son isn't teased about his penile status he'll be teased about something else. Gonna cut off another body part just in case some jerk-child teases your son about that? Of course not. Like I said, doesn't hold water. Rather, teach your son self-respect and to ignore ignoramuses. The REAL reason Dads cut their son is so that THEY don't have to deal with the fact that his parents cut off part of his 'manhood.' It really is that simple.
I'll add with regard to the old locker room canard that it is increasingly uncommon for kids to shower or be naked in the locker room anyway.
#6 of 13 Old 11-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Bingo. The "looking like daddy" and "locker room" are ridiculous arguments. They are irrational excuses, which I could not even repeat with a straight face, if I was in actual debate with someone. Dan's last line sums it up perfectly.
#7 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
I'll add with regard to the old locker room canard that it is increasingly uncommon for kids to shower or be naked in the locker room anyway.
Not to mention most of the boys I know would NEVER be caught dead looking at another boy/man's genitals.
#8 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 02:03 AM

I've wondered about the circ rates being accurate, personally. Are they all based on hospital discharge? Around here, circumcisions are not performed in the hospital at all, and I know a few baby boys who aren't circed, but most of them seem to be. All the stats I've seen say 30% circ rate, but I'm not sure if I believe that.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#9 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 02:50 AM

I asked my brother (13) about the locker room thing. They don't shower, they don't strip down past boxers/underwear so no one will see his stuff. In Iowa at least...no one ever showers. I've heard of kids spraying off after running the mile if they have gym early period but usually they use the single stalls (this is according to guys/girls I know in HS/middle school right now). I asked my jock cousin if HE ever had to strip down and he said no, they never showered after football or baseball practice...thats what they have homes for

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#10 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much for your replies.

Quote:
The current circ rate is indeed 55.7% according to the National Hospital Discharge Survey.
This sounds good - I'll go with this one when I discuss with DH. Of course there may be more (like my DS1) who were circ'ed outside of a hospital, but it's probably fairly accurate.

My husband is 29 and I don't think he showered after gym class in high school, but he was on the football team and I think they must have all showered then. Also, I think he thinks girls/women when he was in high school and college thought it was "weird" or "gross" for a guy to be uncircumcised. Which, I'll admit, is not totally off-base because I have heard girls/women my age say that when I was younger. But again, I think circumcision is much less common now than it was then so it won't be seen as so "different" to be intact by the time our kids are old enough to be sexually active.

Thanks again

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#11 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM

It will really depend on the area that you live in. I work at a place with mentally disabled children. I haven't worked there very long but so far I have only seem one boy that was cut. (we help them in the bathroom when needed)
#12 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Circumcision rates also vary widely across the country.

I understand in California, it's quite low. I remember speaking to a nurse from Ca and I asked her about the circ rate. She said it's easily 30% and most likely lower. At the hospital she worked at, it was about 15-20% if she had to guess. She said very few people had it done.

I'm part of a local homeschool group and I don't many who have circ's children/babies.

Also, remember, your son can always get circumcised. he can't get un-circumcised very easily! Let him decide about his own body.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#13 of 13 Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
Also, remember, your son can always get circumcised. he can't get un-circumcised very easily! Let him decide about his own body.
There are many reasons to leave your DS intact, but this is the one which resonates strongest with me.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page