do they automatically circ during a hosp birth, or do they ask? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems like a routine thing here, that I'm not sure if they would just do it automatically along with everything else. I guess though, you simply state it in your birth plan, like no cutting cord until done pulsing....etc,etc, no circ...

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 09:42 PM

In the hospital I gave birth in, if you wanted it done, you had to make an appt with a Doctor willing to perform the procedure and then pay 300$+ have it done. I don't think all hospitals are the same.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#3 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 09:43 PM

They asked me with both of my boys. I'm not sure how they do it there, but I would put it in the birth plan and also talk your birth plan over with the hospital. They don't always read it, or have time to read it in the instance that something happens and they've just got to move.
#4 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 09:46 PM

At the hospital I birthed in they don't do it at all. You have to schedule it with your pediatrition.

Definately ask -- do they hospital tours for expecting parents? -- that would be a good time to inquire.
#5 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

I *just posted! Thanks mamas!
#6 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 10:09 PM

//
#7 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So long as your are rooming in it would be very hard for them to just do it. It is a comlicated procedure and takes at least 15-45 minutes (depending on if there is pain medication and if it is being used correctly). I knew when babies were being taken for circs when I was in the hospital and I had a girl.

If you plan on sending him to the nursery I would definitely put a sign on his bassinet and perhaps even writin on his diaper to leave every thing attatched.

If they do it without asking yu can sue (little comfort that would be, but at least . . . .)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#8 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 11:18 PM
Banned

They're legally required to get your consent, but there have been cases where they circ first, ask later. Let your ob and ped know ahead of time, room in, avoid meds if you can so you're more alert, and get your son a "NO CIRC" shirt from www.nocirc.org
#9 of 47 Old 02-14-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead
In the hospital I gave birth in, if you wanted it done, you had to make an appt with a Doctor willing to perform the procedure and then pay 300$+ have it done. I don't think all hospitals are the same.
My hospital was the same. My prenatal instructor told the class that if they wanted it done, to talk to their dr.s and not mention it to the nurses because they are really against it.

yay nurses
#10 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 02:35 AM

Hi Letia,
I have been following your ttc journey as a lurker in the other forum....first of all congratulations on your preganancy. God is so good and your faith has been inspirational Secondly, about circing--if you don't want them to do it...DO NOT LET YOUR SON OUT OF THE SIGHT OF YOU OR DH! I say this b/c even though it is rare, it does happen. My second son was circumcised without our consent, and I am so sad that I ever let him leave my sight.
Blessings to you, and enjoy this special time with your baby sharing one body and growing together

Take care,
#11 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 01:46 PM

I have elected not to circ my fourth son. The older three are... This was before I saw what really happened.... Can't go back, but I can change what will be.
#12 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 02:07 PM

They asked me the first morning, I said we were unsure at that time. They asked me the next morning, I said no. That was it.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#13 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 02:16 PM

My ob asked me while I was preg. and I told him no. At the hosp they want you to sign a consent if you want it done. With my last boy the nurse walked in the morning after his birth and said I'm taking him for his circ. now and I said not this baby!
#14 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 02:19 PM

Before the early 1980's, it was quite common for boys to be circumcised without parental consent and in many cases, against parental wishes. There was a lawsuit in the early 1970's that brought this to an end. However, it took almost 10 years for all hospitals to get on board. Now, it is standard practice to get a signed consent form for their protection, not yours. In some hospitals that routinely circ and strongly support circumcision, there is a fairly high risk that a child would be circumcised without parental consent and against their wishes. Some hospitals have become aware of this and refuse to allow circumcisions in their facilities. At those hospitals, you have to make an appointment with a pediatrician to get it done and at a later date.

Frank
#15 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 03:58 PM

While I was in labor they asked me several questions and put my answers into the computer, like are you breastfeeding... if it is a boy, do you want him circumcised.

We roomed-in, but at my hospital each baby has a required stay of 2 hours in the nursery. Well, those two hours came and went... then three... I sent DH and my family to go to the nursery to see him through the window and make sure he was okay, and they came back and said He's not there, they took him into the back! Oh my god, I was scared to death, I said, They are circumcising him! I have never been so scared. It turns out they had to examine him longer than usual because of a dimple in his back (which turned out to be nothing). Sure terrified me, though.

When the ped came in he asked if I wanted him circ'd and so did a couple nurses. It didn't really bother me, but it irritated me a little that they didn't look at the chart. The lactation consultant also asked if he'd had his circumcision that day because he was having problems latching and was lazy at the breast (and pro-circs say it doesn't affect BFing...)
#16 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 05:10 PM

When our boys were born, they asked us if we wanted them to be circumcized. They do not routinely do it; it's considered an optional procedure and it's scheduled usually 24+ hours after birth.
#17 of 47 Old 02-15-2004, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would not feel secure with just the birth plan. Sure, you could sue the hospital if they circed without parental consent (ciring without child consent is fine, though: ) but the damage would still be done.

The best thing is to never let your son out of your sight. If he has to go to the nursery for any reason, and you can't go (they will tell you that you can't go, but don't listen!) then write NO CIRC on any paper you have to sign, and on something that can be attached to him at all times. Write it on his belly or diaper.
#18 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 04:52 PM

in my experience, they hand you consent forms bundled with a bunch of other papers in the middle of transition, while undergoing a huge contraction.

btw, emily, you do not have to leave your baby in the nursery just because it is hospital 'policy'. unless there is some emergency when you dh can accompany the baby (and they are unlikely to circ in the middle of rescusitation, tho' it has probably been done), you can just say 'no'. it is a complete sentence. they bullied me to hell & back when i was 24, but by my late 30's it got a lot harder. they will bitch about bad lighting, making the ped walk to your room, etc., but they will get over it, trust me. just for future reference! be your baby's protector- show 'em who's boss.

suse

(ps hope syntax etc is correct; my 18 m old just deleted my entire answer, & i hope i got the jist of it correct, lol.)
#19 of 47 Old 02-16-2004, 05:00 PM

They asked in the military hospital...........over and over and over again. I had to tell everyone, doctors and nurses no , over and over again.

Then in the civilian hospital they asked and I said no and the doctor knew ahead of time that I didn't want to, she never pushed it. I have heard of people putting notes on the babys diaper and in the babys bassinett. Good Luck!
#20 of 47 Old 02-17-2004, 01:16 AM

in the hospital i birthed my son in, there were consent forms. they also had like a 2 day wait period, and if you changed your mind the nurse would just remove the consent form from the chart and tear it up.

if you're worried, just keep your little one with you at all times.
#21 of 47 Old 02-18-2004, 02:12 PM

Hi,

I had both my son's at a hospital in CA. During your pre-natal check-up's they ask you and its actually in your medical record at the hosp. However, with both boys, I was asked three times!!!

First by my OB and twice by the pediatrician in the hospital. THen once I got to my first well baby check up at my own pediatrician, she asked me three times. Needless to say, I changed to another pediatrician.

I wonder if they would ask you three times not to circumcize your son, how would that be for a change!!!

Sorry, just so sick andtired of this "tradition"

Lise
#22 of 47 Old 02-18-2004, 05:17 PM

While they do ask and get consent, mistakes happen. My pediatrician who is VERY, RABIDLY anti-circ told me that the easiest way to avoid mistakes happening is to (1) Never let the baby leave you sight, and (2) Get the heck out of dodge. He freely admitted to me that he has seen mistakes happen with circs.

So, I never let my son out of my sight and actually followed him down the hall into the nursery for the midnight assessment that they *couldn't* do in the room. *sigh* They said, "DOn't you want to rest? YOu just had a baby!" I replied, "I can't/won't rest without my child in bed with me." They came in after that to do any tests, etc...

Amanda
#23 of 47 Old 02-18-2004, 09:01 PM

Lise:

The thing that confuses me is that there are doctors who claim to be neutral or against circumcision but actually solicit the procedure by asking the parents. There are others who say they only do it because parents demand it and they are afraid of losing customers if they don't. However, with just a little bit of counseling with the parents, the vast majority of parents wouldn't demand it.

What is happening is just the reverse of what they expect. When the physician solicits the procedure, he/she shows his/her ignorance of policy that is more than 30 years old. The parents lose confidence inthe provider and take their business elsewhere. That's exactly what these people deserve!

Frank
#24 of 47 Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Then there are doctors like Sears, who write articles about how painful and unnecessary circ is and then perform them anyway.

I don't get it. Doesn't he make enough money from his books?
#25 of 47 Old 02-19-2004, 06:31 PM

On an hourly basis, circumcision is one of the most profitable procedures a doctor performs. That is especially true if there are several babies and they are done "assembly line" style. It's no wonder they are so reluctant to let it go.

Frank
#26 of 47 Old 02-19-2004, 09:07 PM

Re: Doctor Sears,

If I were him and a patient INSISTED on having this done to their son, even after being told of the pain and risks etc, if I new how to perform the procedure, I'd rather do it myself and be assured it was done RIGHT than send them off to some saw bones who potentially wouldn't know a foreskin from an eyelid....

#27 of 47 Old 02-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead
Re: Doctor Sears,

If I were him and a patient INSISTED on having this done to their son, even after being told of the pain and risks etc, if I new how to perform the procedure, I'd rather do it myself and be assured it was done RIGHT than send them off to some saw bones who potentially wouldn't know a foreskin from an eyelid....
That's a lame-ass reply. What if some parent INSISTED, after being told of the pain and risks, that they wanted FGM done to a daughter?

Dr. Sears is a SELL-OUT. Kudos to Dr. Paul Fleiss, who not only writes about how unnecessary circ is, but also actually stopped performing them.
#28 of 47 Old 02-19-2004, 09:45 PM

mamajulie,

With respect, you're entitled to your opinion, but there's no need to get snarky.

Circumcision is still legal. People still do it, mistakes are still made.

#29 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 04:40 AM

I agree with Julie. A doctor has absolutely no obligation to perform a procedure that goes against the recommendations of his medical association or his/her ethics. It is not his/her responsibility to go against his/her ethics to insure that the procedure is done properly. The child's health or life is not in jeopardy. It is the parent's responsibility to assure the procedure is done by a competent professional if they insist that it be done against recommendations.

Frank
#30 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 09:52 AM

Frankly Speaking

Quote:
A doctor has absolutely no obligation to perform a procedure that goes against the recommendations of his medical association or his/her ethics.
I do agree with you here. However, I was merely trying to bring another point of view to the fore. If I were a Doctor committed to my patients and had done my utmost to inform and educate them, I would feel partially responsible for their descisions. Ethically, I don't think I could bring myself to perform a procedure I was opposed to morally, but I wuold feel obligated to find some one competent to perform the procedure, evern if this was not my obligation. Many physicians feel this way about abortion...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page