Smegma - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-15-2004, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When do boys begin to produce smegma? My son will be six weeks old tomorrow, and within the last week or so I have occasionally noticed a white subtance on the tip of his foreskin. I've been wiping it off, but I'm not sure if I should because it doesn't come off that easily. I am assuming it's normal - but if it is smegma, do I need to clean it off or just leave it? (I am not retracting at ALL, just wiping the end) Or do they not even produce smegma yet, and this must be something else?
#2 of 7 Old 02-15-2004, 09:01 PM

That's just dead skin. Nothing to worry about. I wipe it off of my son, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to let it fall off on its own into the diaper.

Wendy
#3 of 7 Old 02-15-2004, 10:26 PM

Emily- I don't know if there is an age when it begins or not... and I never saw any on my son when he was a little bitty baby- but my daughter had plenty in her first weeks - in fact- she was one of those breastfed babies who lactated- so I think she was getting a mega dose of grown up hormones from me... since then- she does not produce noticable smegma (or milk for that matter! lol) anymore. Back then it was almost like vernix- I thought it was just vernix left over from not getting really thoroughly scrubbed after birth (not that I would have even wanted that) - but after I wiped it off- and it was really gummy- it was back the next day.

It seems to me to ber unusual to be seeing it, but I don't think it's a sign of a problem, nor will it be the source of a problem... I think just wipe off what comes off- but don't stress out about trying to get it all.

Love Sarah
#4 of 7 Old 02-15-2004, 10:36 PM

nak

my ds had the same thing, i think it's just dead skin. he had really peely feet/ankles/wrists/ears too. i bet it goes away on its own pretty quickly, his did. i just ignored it
#5 of 7 Old 02-17-2004, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

thank you very much for the replies. I figured it was something normal and I am glad to hear that it is. As much research as I've done I still have no experience with an uncircumcised penis (it still amazes me every time I change his diaper... I can't believe so many in the US consider it a deformity.. it's perfect!) .. plus I am a first time mom so I must obsess about every little thing
#6 of 7 Old 02-17-2004, 04:06 PM

ITA about the perfect! I too am so pleased when I change my son's diaper and see him as he was made and will stay. I love my little perfect naked children with all their parts in the right places be they my daughters or my son

It makes me hug him tight and say over and over again "No no no no a thousand times no I would never, ever, EVER do that to you! EVER EVER!"
#7 of 7 Old 02-17-2004, 08:55 PM

//

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page