Ugh! Parenting! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.....Parenting Magazine, that is. In this month's issue, they give that old, tired, worn-out line that sugar-water will ease the pain of circumcision. (And I hate the implied message that parents will be circ'ing, ya' know?!)

I'm writing them a letter. Sigh. Like it's going to do any good. I'm only going to be able to read Mothering Mag from now on!

Oh, and in the very same issue, they discuss the possible benefits of elective C-sections!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 12:37 AM

that's why I canceled my subscription

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#3 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 02:51 AM

Heh They sent me a subscription offer a few weeks ago which I threw away. I'll stick with Mothering.

:
#4 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 03:18 AM

Sugar water
#5 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 03:27 AM

:Puke Yeah, I'm sure I'd feel SOOOOO MUCH BETTER if someone gave me some sugar water while slicing half the skin on my genitals off....as if.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#6 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 11:48 AM

I cancelled my subscription and they won't quit sending it to me!!!! I never read it anymore...just throw it in the recycle pile.
#7 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 12:28 PM

Yep, I gave up that type of magazine after dd was born and I realized what a load of crap they are!
#8 of 24 Old 02-18-2004, 10:05 PM

Parenting has a very pro-circumcision stance. They try to use their website to promote it as well.

I can't tell you all I know because then I would have to kill you!

Frank
#9 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 02:39 AM

Please Frank?
#10 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankly Speaking
I can't tell you all I know because then I would have to kill you!

Aw come on!

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#11 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 06:28 AM

I've been getting these (didn't know how horrid they were when I was preggo and subscribed) and got the latest issue. The kicker for me was the sleep training (it's a learned thing, so moms' should sit there while babies cry for hours on end without picking them up - is it just me, or is that worse than mom being in the other room? being abandoned is absolutely horrible, but having someone sit there watching while you're miserable and not doing anything about it... that's twisted!), I didn't read anything else. I canceled it online and they said they'd refund me some of whatever I paid. And I didn't even know about this article. I'm so glad I'm not paying to have trash delivered to my house any more. *sigh*
#12 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 PM

I wonder why they are so pro-circumcision? How, exactly, does that stance benefit them...? Hmm...
#13 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM

They perceive a benefit that is not really there and they are going to have to abandon that perception to avoid a backlash.

They understand that this is a controversial subject and the perception is that there is still overwhelming support for circumcision. There is also a defensiveness because many, if not most of them have circumcised their own sons. They fear that if they take any kind of stance against circumcision, that it will affect their circulation numbers. One of the leaders there and possibly more than one was also Jewish. As with the medical profession, they have chosen to accept the old myths and go against current research and evidence in defense of the bottom line. It all boils down to money. Isn't that always the case?

Frank
#14 of 24 Old 02-19-2004, 07:20 PM

man, it all does boil down to money in our society, doesn't it. I just can not believe the filth and lies and misconceptions these mainstream mags continue to encourage and distribute......there have been soooooooooooo many high quality studies and real evidence as to the things parents ought to do for/with their children such as hold them more, talk to them more, bf, not circ, the evidence that extended periods of crying time is unhealthy for a baby, etc but mainstream america just continues to ignore all these things................UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#15 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 12:27 AM

Quote:
They understand that this is a controversial subject and the perception is that there is still overwhelming support for circumcision.
There is an overwhelming support for circumcision because magazines like Parenting (I still subscribe ) have no backbone and no courage to print the truth (i.e., the cons.) Many mothers (on this site and others) once they learned the truth, said had they known, they would have never opted to do it. Me included. ing

So they are basically cowards.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#16 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

It's such an ugly catch-22: They think they are catering to mainstream America, but mainstream America just follows their advice, and would do something different if they printed something different!
#17 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 02:25 AM

Does anyone read The Compleat Mother? I think that is a good magazine dealing with parenting issues esp. bf.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
#18 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 02:35 AM

Yeah, I love the Compleat Mother. I love how anti-circ it is!

how pro-natural-home birth it is
how pro-BFing it is

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#19 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 04:50 AM

Well, I love that on a Mothering board (associated with Mothering magazine) you can say you Love another parenting mag!

On, for example, babycenter if you mention another parenting site by name they remove the reference :

#20 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
One of the leaders there and possibly more than one was also Jewish. As with the medical profession, they have chosen to accept the old myths and go against current research and evidence in defense of the bottom line.
Just thought I would point out that just because someone is Jewish or a medical professional doesn't mean that they support routine circ. I'm Jewish *and* a medical professional and I don't support routine circ. Religious circ. is something entirely different, but that's a topic we won't get into in this forum.
#21 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilmiss'mama
Does anyone read The Compleat Mother? I think that is a good magazine dealing with parenting issues esp. bf.
I used to get it. It's a good magazine minus one or two things.
#22 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 01:49 PM

i think they just send that mag out to everyone that has had a baby. I think I got it for a year or two without ever subbing to it :
#23 of 24 Old 02-20-2004, 03:40 PM

The circumsison and cesearean struff aside (horrible, I know) but doesn't Dr Sears reguraly contribute to Parenting? How can they publish that stuff about sleep training and still keep him on staff?

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#24 of 24 Old 02-21-2004, 11:39 AM

When I was pregnant with my first child (and relatively clueless) I subscribed to all the parenting magazines I had heard of - Child, Parents, Parenting, etc.,. I never liked them but couldn't put my finger on why.

I heard about Mothering while reading a letter in a Motherwear catalog, subscribed, and found what I had always been looking for. I promptly cancelled all the mags that had formula and diaper ads on every other page, half the articles devoted to working outside the home and feeling guilt free, sleep training, etc.,. Mothering is simply exactly what I needed. Luckily I fould them before having my son, and had learned to think for myself regarding issues such as circumcision. It's very empowering to be told that Moms know best - not dr's, religious communities, values we may have been raised with, etc.,.

I don't know anything about the Compleat Mother, but I'll have to check it out. Mothering is my true love though, I buy subscriptions for everyone I know who gets pregnant. I used to only buy them for people I thought were 'Mothering' types, but realized I couldn't change any minds that way. Hopefully it's working!

Take care,

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page