Is it wrong... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... to pray for some people's babies to be female? I mean, when they are pregnant and don't yet know the gender? And then to be disappointed when they find out they are having boys, because you know they are likely to have them circ'd?

With the potential AAP recommendation of RIC, this gets me down even more than usual. Where is the logic??
#2 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 05:18 PM

I did this recently when someone I know was pregnant....she and her hubby had 2 boys already, both circed. They would have liked to have a girl anyway, but I was especially hopeful because of course a girl wouldn't be circed. They ended up having another boy, too.

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#3 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Not to derail, but I just want to mention that the AAP is not going to recommend RIC. Despite some of the sensational news out there relating to this subject, a recommendation in favor of circumcision is really highly unlikely, given the positions of other medical organizations and the highly suspect research promoting RIC.
#4 of 15 Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisdude23 View Post
Not to derail, but I just want to mention that the AAP is not going to recommend RIC. Despite some of the sensational news out there relating to this subject, a recommendation in favor of circumcision is really highly unlikely, given the positions of other medical organizations and the highly suspect research promoting RIC.
How can we be sure they won't recommend it, though? News media is reporting it like it is a good idea and a logical one as well.
#5 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2caroline View Post
How can we be sure they won't recommend it, though? News media is reporting it like it is a good idea and a logical one as well.
In a lot of the news articles, it actually says that they will shy away from a recommendation. As I said, the media coverage has been inaccurate with little substantial info. I just avoid the sensational headlines and press releases and look for what the AAP commitee members say themselves. So far, they have kept pretty quiet, but they did indicate that a circ. recommendation is unlikely. Nevertheless, some of them are def. pro. circ. Others, hopefully less so. In any case, whatever their personal biases are (which naturally reflect in their interpretation of data), any recommendation out of step with the rest of the medical world would be of great disservice to the AAP, and they know that. I think that the grassroots and the new recommendations (very much in our favor) from the Canadians and Australians have put great pressure on them to essentially stick to the old policy. I assume that the new statement will be akin to a massive legalism with very carefully worded language that will make it seem that the policy has not changed but might have subtle indicators that medicare or insurance should pay for circumcision if parents request it.
#6 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Nope! I don' think it's wrong at all.

#7 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Bea

It's only wrong if you think there's something wrong with being female.

Or if they end up with a cross dressing, gender confused 5 year old boy...they can blame you!

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#8 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Nope, not wrong at all.
I prayed and literally begged and pleaded with God for my brother and his wife to have a girl. They're both rabidly pro-circ and couldn't care less about anesthesia during a circ. I actually jumped up and down and did a happy dance when I found out they were, in fact, having a baby girl.

Wife and mother to 2 kiddos - 17 yr old DS jammin.gifand 13 yr old DD energy.gif.. and a cat that thinks he's a dog dizzy.gif
#9 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisdude23 View Post
In a lot of the news articles, it actually says that they will shy away from a recommendation. As I said, the media coverage has been inaccurate with little substantial info. I just avoid the sensational headlines and press releases and look for what the AAP commitee members say themselves. So far, they have kept pretty quiet, but they did indicate that a circ. recommendation is unlikely. Nevertheless, some of them are def. pro. circ. Others, hopefully less so. In any case, whatever their personal biases are (which naturally reflect in their interpretation of data), any recommendation out of step with the rest of the medical world would be of great disservice to the AAP, and they know that. I think that the grassroots and the new recommendations (very much in our favor) from the Canadians and Australians have put great pressure on them to essentially stick to the old policy. I assume that the new statement will be akin to a massive legalism with very carefully worded language that will make it seem that the policy has not changed but might have subtle indicators that medicare or insurance should pay for circumcision if parents request it.
I hadn't seen anything with statements directly from the AAP members... but I do agree that it would be questionable for them to recommend something that no other medical associations recommend anywhere.

Do you happen to have any links to statements directly from the AAP?
#10 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 PM

I pray that some people won't have kids at all for lots of different reasons, and if they do, that they have girls. So, yes I do.

#11 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 PM

One of my best friends is finding out the gender of her baby next week and I'm hoping that it's a girl. She told me in October that the baby would be circumcised if it were a boy and refused to talk about the option of not circumcising him. So, even though they really want a boy, I am hoping for a girl. I haven't told her that, though.
#12 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I hadn't seen anything with statements directly from the AAP members... but I do agree that it would be questionable for them to recommend something that no other medical associations recommend anywhere.

Do you happen to have any links to statements directly from the AAP?
I don't have anything off hand, but I remember some info. on the subject in a New York Times article back from August, and there was some stuff that I read recently as well. You just have to do a google search. Most of my information I get from a great blog I follow from time to time, called "Circumcision and HIV." It's written by a lawyer from San Francisco, and he has cataloged the email addresses of all the relevant people as well as the scientific papers, journals, etc. His blog is a great place to start.
#13 of 15 Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 PM

I myself, just did the happy dance when I found out an acquaintance is having a girl!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#14 of 15 Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
... to pray for some people's babies to be female? I mean, when they are pregnant and don't yet know the gender? And then to be disappointed when they find out they are having boys, because you know they are likely to have them circ'd?
I do this everyday!

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#15 of 15 Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Nope, not wrong at all. I think that it's a natural response when you know that they will circumcise a boy, but not a girl.

I myself was really thrilled last year in this regard. I was pregnant, as were 3 of my friends/acquaintances from church. A couple of them I was not close enough to share information with, 1 lady already had 2 circ'ed sons.

I didn't know the gender beforehand. Imagine my joy when I gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby boy and all of the other women had girls! It really made me happy to know that no circs were taking place!

And then later when I was visiting one of them after she had her baby girl, circ came up and I planted a seed. It was easier to talk about, being that she had no dog in the fight, so to speak. So perhaps if she has a son, he will stay intact, who knows?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page