Circumcision = teenage drug use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been able to find anything scientific to back me up, but from personal experience I believe circumcised teenagers are more likely to use drugs. It HAS been proven that men circumcised as adult say that masturbation is more difficult. I believe that teenagers who aren't getting what they need to out of masturbation look for other sources of pleasure, and often find it with drugs. Of the very few uncut friends I had when I was a teenager - none had drug problems.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

I hope posting my observation helps some child somewhere.
#2 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm not following the connection...

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM

I only know three people who were drug users as teens and only one of the three were male and he is intact.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#4 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM

I can think of an alcoholic, drug addicted adult who also happens to be intact.

I guess I just don't think teenage boys find pleasure only in masturbating and drugs.

Plus, I'm going to guess that circumcised males masturbate just as much as intact ones.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#5 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:16 PM
2xy

Well, if you really want to go out on a limb, you could say that cultures/families who tend NOT to circumcise are more child-friendly in general, thus leading to better familial relationships, more security, and less of a need for drugs.

But I don't really buy that, either. My boys are uncut and they don't use drugs, but I think that has more to do with having happy lives in general (of which having an intact penis plays a very small part, IMO).
#6 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Just looking at current circ rates in the US amongst the teenage and young adult cohorts, I think you'd see higher drug abuse rates if there was such a linkage....but I don't buy the connection, either. I just think it's too attenuated.

I also don't trust the research that says that cut men masturbate more (and have more diverse sexual practices) because it's based on Masters & Johnson's research, not anything modern.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

I don't think there's any connection at all.
#8 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Yes circumcision is a terrible thing, but we can't blame it on everything bad that happens in a boys life. I'm just not buying it.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#9 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 05:40 PM

sorry but this is a bit much for me to wrap my head around.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Bea

If this was true, then as a person coming from a non circ country we shouldn't have a drug problem. Unfortunately that's definitely not the case.

"Custom will reconcile people to any atrocity."
#11 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM

I agree with the others. I think that circumcision is absolutely awful, but yeah, not seeing the correlation.

Mama to my love (4.22.09)
signcirc1.gif
#12 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdad25 View Post
I haven't been able to find anything scientific to back me up, but from personal experience I believe circumcised teenagers are more likely to use drugs. It HAS been proven that men circumcised as adult say that masturbation is more difficult. I believe that teenagers who aren't getting what they need to out of masturbation look for other sources of pleasure, and often find it with drugs. Of the very few uncut friends I had when I was a teenager - none had drug problems.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

I hope posting my observation helps some child somewhere.
I'm pretty much as anti-circ as you can get, but...a connection to drug use? Sorry, not buying it, at ALL. Obviously masturbation is sometimes difficult, as is sex, but sorry...that has nothing to do with drug use at all.

Teens who are going to find drugs, are going to find drugs, whether they're circumcised or not. You could also say that since they can't masturbate, they're going to want to eat a lot more to make up for that so they're more likely to be obese.

Your drug-free friends were not that way because of the state of their penis. I personally know uncircumcised guys who do drugs, and quite a few circumcised guys who don't. There is no connection.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#13 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Pleeeeeease...gimme a break

Me jammin.gif DH  REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 06/06 superhero.gif ...MC 2/9 11/9 5/10
#14 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM

And a lot of my friends who were/are intact used drugs as teens

I think this theory is strictly anecdotal.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#15 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 07:51 PM

I see no connection either.

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#16 of 20 Old 01-13-2010, 09:08 PM

I doubt that you would win any circ arguments with that one.

I am in a non circ country and there are plenty of people here taking drugs for all sorts of reasons not related to their penis. Even the women here abuse drugs you know.
#17 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 AM

LOL this hypothesis is bogus.
#18 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
If this was true, then as a person coming from a non circ country we shouldn't have a drug problem. Unfortunately that's definitely not the case.
I think the sexual problems that *can* come with circ' could definitely contribute to emotional problems, thus drug use. But there are too many cases/ whole countries that defy a straight causal relationship.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#19 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 AM

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#20 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai View Post
LOL this hypothesis is bogus.
Makes perfect sense to me, actually.

It seems easy enough to compile some stats. So what we shoud do is contact some professors who might have the idea in their head when a student comes looking for a class project.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page