Medical Circumcision??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never heard about meds to keep the erections from happening. The one guy I know who was circed as an adult for "medical" problems didnt have any but then he ended up having to go back in to have the surgery redone with skin from his bumm because the Dr skinned his poor penis

The odds of an adult male needing to be circed are extremely low. Considering the only medical indication for circ are frostbite, gangrene, cancer and irreparable damage you can just imagine how rare those conditions are.

The key here is teaching our boys about what being intact means and how to protect themselves from the Dr's who have not or refuse to keep up to date on the proper care of the intact penis.

My ds will know that any dr that wants to come at him with a knife is a dr who he runs, not walks from. With any luck he will know enough not to need a Dr. for things that might happen to him and if something where to come up he would know enough to tell the Dr. he was full of it if something was suggested that wasnt right to fix what was going on.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#32 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I have never heard about meds to keep the erections from happening. The one guy I know who was circed as an adult for "medical" problems didnt have any but then he ended up having to go back in to have the surgery redone with skin from his bumm because the Dr skinned his poor penis

The odds of an adult male needing to be circed are extremely low. Considering the only medical indication for circ are frostbite, gangrene, cancer and irreparable damage you can just imagine how rare those conditions are.

The key here is teaching our boys about what being intact means and how to protect themselves from the Dr's who have not or refuse to keep up to date on the proper care of the intact penis.

My ds will know that any dr that wants to come at him with a knife is a dr who he runs, not walks from. With any luck he will know enough not to need a Dr. for things that might happen to him and if something where to come up he would know enough to tell the Dr. he was full of it if something was suggested that wasnt right to fix what was going on.
So I read something flat out wrong? YAY!!!!!! As for the intact/circed thing, with my boys, it will be a cultural decision. We're part of a path that traditionally circs (at 8 days old). But that's our HERITAGE, not our daily life. If any of my sons choose to walk that path as a daily life thing, they might "need" to make that commitment (getting circed). (BIG might, but we'll see what happens.) So I'm REALLY glad to read that adult circumcision isn't the horrible ordeal that it's been made out to be.

Looks like my son will HAVE a choice. YAY! Because my dh is circed and I flat out asked him "if you weren't, would you bother getting it done?". He said no. Pretty sure most of our sons will, too, and then it will be a moot point.
#33 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM

Well, babies get erections, too. So if they have to give a med to an adult male to prevent them, they'd have to give it to a baby, too, right? I've never heard of a med to prevent erections in adult men having circs - so I'd imagine what you read was either a flat out untruth, or you misinterpreted something you read.
#34 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolebug View Post
My one year old son is not circumcised and is having a problem with his foreskin allowing the urine to drain. Basically, the urine builds up in the foreskin like a water balloon and then drains slowly. It's only a few second process, but it's very noticeable. We saw a Urologist today and he recommended circumcision. The opening is so small, it can't really be located. He informed us that there is a steroid cream application that we could try, but when pressed for an answer he stated that because the opening is so small, it probably wouldn't work.

If we do have to circumcise him I would rather that he not remember it, but I am concerned about the anesthetic. Is it better to wait and see how it goes, or is it better to have it done now before he will remember it? Is there a possibility that it will stretch on its own? Has anyone had this experience?
My son is 3 and he does the exact same thing. The pediatrician I asked said it's completely normal. It's a sign that separation is happening between the foreskin and the glans, and the opening at the tip is the last part to loosen. As long as the urine is draining (as you said happens in just a few seconds) then he is just fine.

Kelly

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#35 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM

Nope, not true as far as I can tell.

Here's a set of FAQs from a doctor who specializes in adult circumcision:

http://www.circumcisioncenter.com/faq.htm

No mention of meds to suppress erections.

You may be interested to know, however, that circumcision as an infant disrupts the blood supply to the penis by severing the frenar artery. This may be one reason why, on average, circumcised men begin to suffer from ED a decade earlier than intact men.

I can get a cite for this study but it is a published medical study.

Also, infant circumcision is essentially a crapshoot. You ve no idea how big the penis is going to grow, and all of the foreskin is there for a reason, including allowing erections to grow to their full size by giving skin to stretch into. There's no dotted line saying "cut here."

This is one reason why a common complication of circumcision is the scrotal hair being pulled up onto the shaft, and another is bowing/pointing of the erect penis to one side or the other. Another is the skin tearing open and causing micro-abrasions and bleeding because it's too taut. These happen because after the circumcision, a man may not have enough skin to accommodate his erection.

You should also know that even if there's enough foreskin left to allow for a comfortable erection, there's a huge amount lost to circumcision that can never, ever be restored. All of the most sensitive parts of the penis are on the foreskin. Compare running your fingernail over your palm to running it over the back of your hand. Huge difference in sensitivity, right? The back of the hand is like the circumcised penis -- because the glans is really not a very sensitive part of the penis and doesn't have the specialized nerve endings, called Meissner's corpuscles, that the foreskin does. These nerve endings are also found in the lips.

There's more here that you should read:

http://research.cirp.org

and http://www.cirp.org/library/sex_function/

This study shows that the five most sensitive parts of the penis are on the foreskin and the most sensitive part of the cut penis is the scar:

http://www.nocirc.org/touch-test/bju_6685.pdf

So many people think that the foreskin is some useless piece of skin, but it's not -- it's a functioning part of the whole, and cutting it off permanently alters the structure and function of the penis. That's one reason why so few adult men line up to get circumcised -- it's not because they're so afraid of the pain, it's because they know full well that the foreskin gives them a tremendous amount of pleasure and they don't want to give it up! (Unless they have psychological issues, or ignorant medical advice).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#36 of 38 Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM

My BIL (my husband's twin) had a circumcision when he was a teenager due to painful erections. Apparently he asked for it. My husband says that my BIL spent the better part of a week on the couch, and it was a fairly slow recovery.

Not sure why he had the problems. My IL's are pretty anti-circ, and are physicians.

That said, my husband is 30, has never had any problems whatsoever. He's pretty fond of his foreskin
#37 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Just a reminder that religious discussion of circumcision does not belong in TCAC, as per the forum guidelines:

Carry on.

Thank you

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#38 of 38 Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 PM

That is so COOL! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Nope, not true as far as I can tell.

Here's a set of FAQs from a doctor who specializes in adult circumcision:

http://www.circumcisioncenter.com/faq.htm

No mention of meds to suppress erections.

You may be interested to know, however, that circumcision as an infant disrupts the blood supply to the penis by severing the frenar artery. This may be one reason why, on average, circumcised men begin to suffer from ED a decade earlier than intact men.

I can get a cite for this study but it is a published medical study.

Also, infant circumcision is essentially a crapshoot. You ve no idea how big the penis is going to grow, and all of the foreskin is there for a reason, including allowing erections to grow to their full size by giving skin to stretch into. There's no dotted line saying "cut here."

This is one reason why a common complication of circumcision is the scrotal hair being pulled up onto the shaft, and another is bowing/pointing of the erect penis to one side or the other. Another is the skin tearing open and causing micro-abrasions and bleeding because it's too taut. These happen because after the circumcision, a man may not have enough skin to accommodate his erection.

You should also know that even if there's enough foreskin left to allow for a comfortable erection, there's a huge amount lost to circumcision that can never, ever be restored. All of the most sensitive parts of the penis are on the foreskin. Compare running your fingernail over your palm to running it over the back of your hand. Huge difference in sensitivity, right? The back of the hand is like the circumcised penis -- because the glans is really not a very sensitive part of the penis and doesn't have the specialized nerve endings, called Meissner's corpuscles, that the foreskin does. These nerve endings are also found in the lips.

There's more here that you should read:

http://research.cirp.org

and http://www.cirp.org/library/sex_function/

This study shows that the five most sensitive parts of the penis are on the foreskin and the most sensitive part of the cut penis is the scar:

http://www.nocirc.org/touch-test/bju_6685.pdf

So many people think that the foreskin is some useless piece of skin, but it's not -- it's a functioning part of the whole, and cutting it off permanently alters the structure and function of the penis. That's one reason why so few adult men line up to get circumcised -- it's not because they're so afraid of the pain, it's because they know full well that the foreskin gives them a tremendous amount of pleasure and they don't want to give it up! (Unless they have psychological issues, or ignorant medical advice).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page