Infant circumcision causes over 100 deaths per year - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 05-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a copy of the full article from Thymos. (I have a PDF copy--if anyone would like to read it, PM me and I'll pass it along.) It's a pretty interesting read, and definitely an opinion paper recommending systemic policy changes, not merely a report of statistical data. I'm curious about how it has been/will be received in academia (if anyone even takes notice of it)--I'd never heard of the journal, which is printed by a publisher in "men's studies," and I know academia can be very dismissive of research outside of the mainstream journals and disciplinary areas.

As far as the 117 deaths figure, I do think the number is a rough one (due to inaccurate reporting of cause of death), but the full article explains how it was calculated and includes all citations. Someone better at scientific research than me would have to examine the logic, but it makes sense from a layperson's perspective. (And as someone said above, the SIDS rate quoted is for boys in the first month of their lives--the article has the SIDS rate for the first year as well, which is much higher).

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glongley View Post
The other point is that whether its 1/10,000 or 1/1 million, no death is justifiable for a unnecessary cosmetic procedure on a nonconsenting individual.
This.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#33 of 36 Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
I wonder what the incidence of non-lethal complications is? (Other than the obvious 100% of circumcised males have healthy tissue removed. )
I've read that it is as high as 50%.

The problem with most studies on complication rates are that they only look for complications for 48 hrs after the procedure. But one study found that of 8 infections due to circ, only 1 was diagnosed in 48 hrs. I've had 2 friends over the years who had to have surgery on their 2-3 year old sons to correct narrowing of the penile opening--a complication of circumcision--and I actually dated a guy who admitted to having had that surgery as well. I wonder how many guys I've known who *haven't* admitted to having the surgery? Or perhaps don't even know they had it because they don't remember it?
#34 of 36 Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitted_in_the_wom View Post
I've had 2 friends over the years who had to have surgery on their 2-3 year old sons to correct narrowing of the penile opening--a complication of circumcision--and I actually dated a guy who admitted to having had that surgery as well. I wonder how many guys I've known who *haven't* admitted to having the surgery? Or perhaps don't even know they had it because they don't remember it?
Or perhaps they don't realize it is related to circumcision.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#35 of 36 Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Meatal Stenosis is VERY common. It wasn't until my DH's 3rd surgery that I made his urologist admit that it is totally related to his circumcision. If he was intact, he never would have had this problem.

Doctors don't want to admit that because that means less $$$ for them when these men know the damage was circ related and choose to leave their boys intact. (but then I'm jaded)

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#36 of 36 Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM

bump

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page