ballooning penis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 3.5 yo. Whenever he pees, his foreskin balloons up around his penis and then it goes back to normal when he's done. It doesn't seem to hurt, so I'm not really worried about it, but I am curious whether it's common and when it stops. Anyone have experience with this?

Bed sharing, baby wearing, breastfeeding mama of Vonn (dob 12/9/07) and Reuben (dob 7/17/09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Yup it's totally normal, my 3.5yo's does this too. It just means that the foreskin has separated from the glans in some/all parts, so it fills with urine before releasing through the opening on the end. When he is older, he can retract his foreskin back a bit when he pees to avoid it, but it's really harmless
#3 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 PM

It depends ... in some rare instances it could be an abnormality. Might check with your favorite anti-circumcision doctor for an opinion. I have a cousin who was one of the rare few who truly did need a little surgical help when he was six.
#4 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydieBugs View Post
It depends ... in some rare instances it could be an abnormality. Might check with your favorite anti-circumcision doctor for an opinion. I have a cousin who was one of the rare few who truly did need a little surgical help when he was six.
Do you know why he needed surgery at such a young age? I've never read of ballooning being an issue, and age 6 is still young enough that most boys do not have retractable foreskins, so ballooning would be normal.
#5 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 11:27 AM

my older son who is 6.5 still balloons and has for a couple of years or so, and i just noticed that my younger son is now doing this. from everything i've read, it is part of the natural process, so if they are in no pain or discomfort, i am not worried. i did have one doctor tell me that if they had ballooning while they pee, they'd need to be circ'd as it meant the foreskin was too tight or the opening was too small, so the urine was being backed up, causing the ballooning. that was the last time we saw that doctor. it certainly is a source of amusement for the boys though, they think its cool.
#6 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM

My 7 week old baby's penis balloons when he pees. Do you think that's a problem? He has not been retracted unless it was done during his time in the NICU at birth. My DH tried to do it once and I told him it was like a hymen and he wouldn't go breaking our daughter's hymen so he should leave DS alone. He hasn't tried that since.

Do you think it is an issue? (Sorry to hijack)
#7 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscottie View Post
My 7 week old baby's penis balloons when he pees. Do you think that's a problem? He has not been retracted unless it was done during his time in the NICU at birth. My DH tried to do it once and I told him it was like a hymen and he wouldn't go breaking our daughter's hymen so he should leave DS alone. He hasn't tried that since.

Do you think it is an issue? (Sorry to hijack)
No, this isn't usually a problem. As long as he is urinating well, it's fine.
#8 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I about freaked when DS2 had this last year. it went down by the next day. I'm so glad that I came here to check it out instead of rushing him off to the Dr.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I cant imagine why ballooning would ever be a problem at that age. Ballooning is caused when the foreskin is not attached to the glans any more but the sphincter is still to tight to retract. That is 100% normal.

I would love to hear the reason the Dr. gave for the surgery.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
I cant imagine why ballooning would ever be a problem at that age. Ballooning is caused when the foreskin is not attached to the glans any more but the sphincter is still to tight to retract. That is 100% normal.

I would love to hear the reason the Dr. gave for the surgery.
please share.

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#11 of 12 Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Normal and harmless. There is a great variation on how long it lasts. Some boy just do it For weeks, others months and some years. All are normal. It will go away when the sphincter relaxes.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#12 of 12 Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM

Normal!!!!!

Keri
Non-Vax~No-Circ~T4L-Homeschooler~co-sleep~EBF~"Crunchy" SAHM to DD &DS

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page