Washing with soap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

DS (9) has been retractable since he was 3 or so. He's always washed inside his foreskin (his penis head), but not with soap. The only times he does that, he says it burns. Any kind of soap, he says burns.

Is one supposed to use soap on the penis head, on an intact boy? Can you intact men chime in here, please? Does it hurt? Is it supposed to hurt? Should my ds just use water? Will it schtank when he enters puberty if he doesn't use soap?

Thanks, all.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Just water. As I understand, washing under the glans with soap is like washing inside your vagina with soap. *shudder*

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

I heard washing your vagina with soap could contribute to yeast infections is this true and if so is the same true for under the foreskin?

AP~EBF~CD~nocirc~Babywearing~delayed vaxing~natural birthin' Wannabewith PCOS,Not a mommy yet
aspiring doula(oh,I have a severe case of yurtlust!)
#4 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieroo View Post
I heard washing your vagina with soap could contribute to yeast infections is this true and if so is the same true for under the foreskin?
Yes, both are true. Women should not clean their vaginae with soap, b/c it promotes infection, yeast and other kinds. Also, men should not clean inside their foreskins with soap, b/c it promotes infection both yeast and other kinds.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#5 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Like all pp's said soap is bad for the glans. Some men do use it I have read but if it is hurting your ds obviously he shouldnt do it. He could end up with an infection from it or making his foreskin refuse to retract due to irritation by doing so. Rinse with clear water and leave it be.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM

It probably does burn. When I was a little girl my mother had me wash my vulva with soap and it most certainly did burn. Water only is fine. I do choose to wash myself with soap now, and it no longer burns, so it may be related to your son's age as well, it may be as he grows older, if he chooses to use soap, it won't be a problem for him.
#7 of 11 Old 08-08-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alrighty, then, y'all, I will tell him to just rinse with water.

I don't have any problem washing my vulva with soap, or even "inside" more (in and around the lips and all the nooks and crannies-- sorry TMI ) but you're right, if it hurts him, he should stop.

I was just worried about him smelling foul when he starts puberty, and then not having developed the habit of washing (not just rinsing) in there.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#8 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Hi all,

DS (9) has been retractable since he was 3 or so. He's always washed inside his foreskin (his penis head), but not with soap. The only times he does that, he says it burns. Any kind of soap, he says burns.

Is one supposed to use soap on the penis head, on an intact boy? Can you intact men chime in here, please? Does it hurt? Is it supposed to hurt? Should my ds just use water? Will it schtank when he enters puberty if he doesn't use soap?

Thanks, all.
I don't explicitly use soap that is to say if there I soap on the wash cloth or if lather or the bar is in my hand, I use it but if not I just rinse and that is good enough. So since it is irritating him, just tell him not to use the soap. Not using it doesn't make any appreciative difference. Even after puberty.
#9 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
It burns me if I use soap on my inner labia or vagina, so I imagine it would burn his glans, too. Instead, I use this stuff called Sliquid Splash to wash my genitals and it is very nice. But on a little kid, pre-puberty, no hormones, water is just fine!

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#10 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubliette8 View Post
It probably does burn. When I was a little girl my mother had me wash my vulva with soap and it most certainly did burn. Water only is fine. I do choose to wash myself with soap now, and it no longer burns, so it may be related to your son's age as well, it may be as he grows older, if he chooses to use soap, it won't be a problem for him.
Yeah, that... When I was a child and retractable well before puberty, I usually retracted and washed with soap or shampoo. It did not burn the glans or foreskin, but getting soap in the urethra really DID burn.., and still does. Some soaps may be more irritating than others, but it's probably not necessary to use soap at all. But, if he prefers to use it, maybe baby shampoo or soap would be less irritating. The trick is to keep it out of the urethra though...
#11 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 01:58 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaskyla View Post
Just water. As I understand, washing under the glans with soap is like washing inside your vagina with soap. *shudder*

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page