Please respond with love... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also live in Europe, although I am an American, and where I live a baby cannot legally be circed at birth in the hospital. If someone wants it done, the parents have to take the baby to a professional and there are some requirements. I don't know what they are because I wasn't interested in doing that to DS. My friends here, knowing American culture, have asked if I had DS circed and I just shrugged and said no. Their relief was palpable.

I don't get your worry. There are entire continents of people who don't circ routinely and you don't hear about their penises falling off. Just learn about proper penis care and it'll be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

A true eye opener for my dh was learning the history of circ in North America which was prevention/cure of masturbation which was considered dirty and sinful and was blamed for blindness, retardation and a ton of other physical and mental conditions...very sick history. This is a great link quoting different MDs of that time:

A Short History of Circumcision in North America In the Physicians' Own Words: http://www.noharmm.org/docswords.htm
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
I don't get your worry. There are entire continents of people who don't circ routinely and you don't hear about their penises falling off. Just learn about proper penis care and it'll be just fine.
I SO agree. I am originally from Russia where men are (thanks God!!) whole. And they are the ones who almost never have to deal with things like yeast or UTIs (unlike some women...who are also intact in case you may wonder).
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 PM

a slightly higher risk of an infection is no reason to cut off a healthy important part of a baby's body.

circumcision effects the entire function of the penis, sexually and otherwise

I'm back in school to get certified as an IBCLC, and one of the classes I'm in this semester is currently delving into the anatomy of the brain, as well as lots of studies about it's different functions. Did you know it takes 6 months+ for a circ'd baby boy's cortisol levels to go back down to normal? Then for the rest of his life any pain will cause cortisol to flood his body to the same levels that it was at post-op. Almost like the circumcision trained his body that those extreme levels of stress hormones is an appropriate response to pain. And here we thought our men were just being big babies when they get hurt or sick

my exH had scars from adhesions and a skin bridge. Every man I've been with (all circ'd, unfortunately for me) has had an obvious scar when he has an erection. They were all also men who focused on orgasm instead of the pleasure of the act itself.

I sat for a boy my DD's age from age 11mo-21mo. He was circ'd at 6 weeks because of some insurance issue his parents were having (they were probably trying to get them to cover it). His mom told me he was just starting to smile socially and coo. For over a week he didn't smile and the only sound out of his mouth was blood curdling screams. In the 12 months I had him he needed antibiotics for 3 infections that caused his circ scar to ooze puss, bleed, and his glans to get purple-ish. It broke my heart and I would hold him and apologize to him.

What does society deem acceptable to cut off on girls? I think that no matter what gender you are, you deserve to have the rights to your own natural body. Body integrity!!! There will come a day (hopefully) that the US will be as horrified by MGM as they are by FGM, but I doubt I will see it in my lifetime.

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I am debating over this right now with my 10 day old son. we didn't know what we were having, but i was really hoping for a girl so i wouldn't have to deal with this. i should have researched it while i was pregnant, but didn't.

We circ'd our first son, I didn't really want to but DH did and as we did everything else my way I compromised on this. And his circ went fine, no problems at all. he was not happy when he woke up from the nap he took right after, but after that it never seemed to bother him again. i did everything i could to make it easier for him- we used anesthetic (sp?), some thick white cream stuff that we globbed all over him 30 min before hand. i didn't not see it done, i made dh do it. ds was not tied down, but only held by dh and a nurse. with every diaper change (and i change every time he pees) i would apply neosporin + pain relief.

this time around we have to pay out of pocket for it, and the dr who did my first son charges 2x as much as every other dr. i'm not sure why. but i really like this dr and would want her to do it (with my first son, when i brought up the circ, she asked me if i was sure i wanted it) cause i feel more comfortable with her doing it than some unknown dr. and reading here there's mention of different styles of circ (high and tight, low and loose) and i have no idea what these mean. or which is 'better'/less bad. it's so overwhelming. i think ds1's circ is 'loose' because his skin does at times cover part of his glans. i'm not sure on the high vs. low thing.

while i have no problems with having my sons intact when dh is circ'd, i do worry about how it will go having one son circ'd and one not. i would love to hear from mom's who have both sons who are and who aren't circ'd. right now this is the only reason we want it done. dh now wishes ds1 wasn't so we wouldn't have to do it this time (mostly cause of the $$, which kinda upsets me.) i don't see any need for circ'ing, god knew what he was doing. on the other hand, if circ'ing is so horrible why would god have told the israelites/jews to do it? that wouldn't make sense. --that's not a real question, just something i wonder.

it's hard for me to know what to make of the risks of circ'ing, because neither dh nor ds1 have had any complications.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 PM

another one to chime in with both my sons are intact (as were the vast majority of men in my country of origin) and neither of them have evr had an infection of any kind.

as to the pp who was wondering the dynamics when one child is circ'ed and the other not, well what if one of your children was blond and the otehr redheaded? would you *permanently* change one of their hair colours so they would look alike? what if they had eyes of different colour? if you think you made a mistake one time, mama, please don;t make it again just so they can be comparable, yk? your second son is ANOTHER person altogether.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaquitita View Post
while i have no problems with having my sons intact when dh is circ'd, i do worry about how it will go having one son circ'd and one not. i would love to hear from mom's who have both sons who are and who aren't circ'd. right now this is the only reason we want it done. dh now wishes ds1 wasn't so we wouldn't have to do it this time (mostly cause of the $$, which kinda upsets me.)
Here are some previous threads on this topic:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1094686
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1250192

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSmomtobe View Post
thanks for these links. dh thinks ds2 will feel the odd one out since dh and ds1 are both circ'd. i suggested we just say we knew better the 2nd time. dh thinks it comes down to something being wrong with one of the boys. either we didn't know better with ds1 and so there's something wrong with him OR we couldn't afford it (or whatever) and so there's something wrong with ds2.

i'm trying to figure out how to get him to look at this differently, that they're just different without there being anything wrong with one of them. i think he cares more about them being different then they are likely to. hmm, maybe that's what i need to say to him... that the boys will only have a problem with it if WE view one of them as being 'defective'.

and what if we did circ ds2 and then in the future have another son? we'd have to go through this all over again.

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!

User Tag List