Another horrific story from the nurse - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2003, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please explain this belief that to be a real man, you have to suffer pain and agony. How can it make a real man from the painful experience if the man never remembers it? If anesthesia is used and there is no torture, does that mean he won't be a "real man?"

I guess I am trying to get logical, reasonable answers from the asylum!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2003, 02:19 PM

I came across this abstract just the other day.Hopefully I can get the full article.I have emailed quite a few people in Turkey regarding this idea of cutting the genitals= becoming a man and part of *the group*. I have to get my dh to tell me more about his own experiences as well,but he is a bit tigh lipped on the issue(understandable).
The second abstract mentions what the men remember about their own circs.Some do remember the pain,fear,shame.I am suprised to read one was happy.Maybe happy to finally have it over with since he knew it could not be avoided,but I doubt actually happy to have his penis cut!

[Admin note: Post removed. Please review the Copyright Concerns thread in the Rules and Guidelines board. ~Cynthia]
Old 07-28-2003, 09:22 PM

Since you can't post these articles because of copyright concerns, can you post a link where we could read these on a website somewhere? Sounds interesting.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sara29
I came across this abstract just the other day.Hopefully I can get the full article.I have emailed quite a few people in Turkey regarding this idea of cutting the genitals= becoming a man and part of *the group*. I have to get my dh to tell me more about his own experiences as well,but he is a bit tigh lipped on the issue(understandable).
The second abstract mentions what the men remember about their own circs.Some do remember the pain,fear,shame.I am suprised to read one was happy.Maybe happy to finally have it over with since he knew it could not be avoided,but I doubt actually happy to have his penis cut!

[Admin note: Post removed. Please review the Copyright Concerns thread in the Rules and Guidelines board. ~Cynthia]
>>>>>

Sorry about that! Let me see if this pubmed link will work.The articles I posted are number 1,2 and 4. I am going to order the full texts through the library(hopefully they still do it for free).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...m_uid=12444288
Old 07-26-2005, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notocirc
edited by moderator due to lack of permission to reprint

Does anyone know where I can find a link to this?

~Nay
: my little booby bandito, Antonin

I love my super supportive DH

Our kitties!

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoninBeGonin
Does anyone know where I can find a link to this?
I'm interested, too!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara29
Sorry about that! Let me see if this pubmed link will work.The articles I posted are number 1,2 and 4. I am going to order the full texts through the library(hopefully they still do it for free).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...om_uid=12444288

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Sara29 : 07-28-2003 at 07:30 PM.

Frank
Old 07-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That link didn't work. I'll try to find the information on the site's main page. Drat! And I was hoping to read it.

~Nay “The Intactavist Doula” : my little booby bandito, Antonin

I love my super supportive DH Our kitties!

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
Old 07-28-2005, 12:59 AM

I've never actually witnessed a circ, but know enough to know that I would never do it to a son. I work at our local hospital and had a very disturbing discussion with one of the other employees who was in one of my classes today which made me think about this. Pretty much everyone here has said that they were horrified when they saw a circ and/or heard it described. Isn't that a normal response? I would expect anyone who saw a circ to be traumatized.

However, the woman with whom I was speaking today & I were discussing different units where she might want to work at the hospital and post natal care came up. I said that I could never work there b/c one of my nurse friends who works in that dept. said that they have to assist with the circs and I could never do that. She responded that she had "unfortunately" not been able to see her first son's circ, but got to be there for her other two boys' circs and that it was "fascinating" and "wonderful" to see. Is there just something totally wrong with people who are not horrified as most of us are when they witness/hear details about circumcision?

I, too, might want to read that original article although if it is too graphic maybe not!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
edited by moderator due to lack of permission to reprint
Where can we read this? Is there a link??

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)
Old 07-28-2005, 08:17 AM

OK, try this one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...m_uid=12444288

If that one doesn’t work, Here are links to the three studies cited:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...288&query_hl=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...037&query_hl=1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...657&query_hl=1

Frank

PS: The software for this site automatically truncates links so that you can not click on a link in a quote. You must also go to the actual site to copy the link to take to other forums or to send by e-mail. Just in case you wanted to know!

User Tag List