Can we talk about what actually happens during a circumcision? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just can't watch a video of it. I just can't.

I would like to know what exactly happens though, so that I am educated on the procedure. I am planning to be a midwife someday. Non-photo graphics would be great, or just description.
#2 of 9 Old 08-18-2010, 05:29 PM
2xy

I did a Powerpoint presentation on it for my speech class last year. There is more than one method, I believe, but they're all pretty similar.

The infant is first strapped down in a Circumstraint (not a graphic pic). He is covered with the appropriate medical drape and cleaned with Betadine. Some doctors provide local or topical anesthetic, from what I gather, but it doesn't do much good and most doctors don't use it.

I can't recall the names of the instruments...the doctor uses a retractor-type instrument to stretch and tear the foreskin away from the glans. Then a pair of scissors is used to make a dorsal cut from the tip of the foreskin to the point along the penile shaft where they plan on circumcising. The foreskin is either incised or crushed off.
#3 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 AM

I saw one a few days ago as a nursing student. Pretty much what 2xy said. I saw the crusher method. :-(

The doctor stretched the foreskin way out, used a blunt instrument that looked kinda like a pen but smaller to separate the adhesions, then made the cut upward to make a slit. Then she put a bell-shaped metal thing over the glans to protect it, and that fit into a device where basically she tighted it with screws until the foreskin was pinched off. I saw it lying there and felt sick.

The doctor did give him an injection first to numb him, and it apparently worked because he did not cry or show discomfort, but remained calm and alert and was sucking on a paci with some sugar syrup on it. However a few minutes late the med wore off and my nursing student friend was trying to pick him up, and every time she did he cried a lot. When she put him down he was more confortable.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
However a few minutes late the med wore off and my nursing student friend was trying to pick him up, and every time she did he cried a lot. When she put him down he was more confortable.
Sigh. Poor baby. No wonder circed babies normally withdraw afterwards, it hurts to be moved!
#5 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM

If you can get ahold of the book "What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About CIrcumcision" by Fleiss and Hodges, they have very good verbal descriptions of the Gomco (Metal Clamp), Plastibell (Ring), and Mogen Clamp (Flat clamp, no bell) methods. The book is out of print but you can find used copies online.

There are many drawings and still photos of these various methods available online if you search. For example, start here: http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/
[Go to "How" on the menu at the right]
#6 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirogi View Post
I just can't watch a video of it. I just can't.
With all due respect, if you can't watch a video of it, you can't put your son through it. (If this is a personal question.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
With all due respect, if you can't watch a video of it, you can't put your son through it. (If this is a personal question.)
It's not. DH is intact, as will be any sons I have. My interest is purely educational. I will likely be in a position someday where I will have a lot of pull behind the decisions and discussions that moms and dads have on circ. I need to be prepared.
#8 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
Sigh. Poor baby. No wonder circed babies normally withdraw afterwards, it hurts to be moved!
The doctor said that they typically sleep a lot for a day or two after the procedure. I can imagine that would be bad for breastfeeding/bonding.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#9 of 9 Old 08-19-2010, 10:32 PM

I've seen some videos on YouTube.

One thing I learned was that the boy is still screaming his head off after its all done. Not that that doctor/nurse can hear. (The empathy part of the brain switches off during a circ) So much for the "its quick so its ok" argument. Its painful afterwards so thats a non-argument.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page