"Some do, some don't." - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One would think a well-known hospital in a big city would be on top of the latest pain studies. OTOH, they probably are, but they may be the busiest and the most closely tied to research.

Meaning, no one has the patience for the anesthesia to fully take effect (cuts into the financial bottom line, too) and research universities and research companies come to them for pristine foreskin flesh. Anesthesia renders foreskins unsuitable.
#32 of 35 Old 09-13-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJewelsRae View Post
Isn't it ironic that OBs often push and encourage drugs on birthing mothers, but when it comes to the newborn they circumcise w/o any pain relief at all?? WTH is wrong here!?
Mothers with epidurals make their lives easier. Babies without pain relief make their lives easier.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#33 of 35 Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

I thought I'd give you all an update on my experience now that I've had our (beautiful and intact! ) baby boy at this hospital. By some sick cosmic joke, we of all people were assigned to stay in the room right across the hall from the "procedure" room, where all the circs take place. I tried to pretend that all the frantic crying I heard those two days after birth were from PKU tests. If I hadn't had such a long and traumatic labor, I probably would have insisted on switching rooms, but I simply didn't have the energy.

We had a very succinct post-birth sheet that listed "no circ" along with a couple other things and gave one to every nurse and doctor who came in. We were still asked multiple times if we were circing, but it was more in an "I'm too lazy to read your chart right now" kind of way than from any pressure to do it. I was hoping we'd get some kind of positive feedback from a closet intactivist, but no such luck. We made sure our babe never left our room for a second.

9/2011 items decluttered
#34 of 35 Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I thought I'd give you all an update on my experience now that I've had our (beautiful and intact! ) baby boy at this hospital. By some sick cosmic joke, we of all people were assigned to stay in the room right across the hall from the "procedure" room, where all the circs take place. I tried to pretend that all the frantic crying I heard those two days after birth were from PKU tests. If I hadn't had such a long and traumatic labor, I probably would have insisted on switching rooms, but I simply didn't have the energy.
This is the kind of situation that turned my mother into a pro-intact person (and saved me from circ). She heard horrible cries fron another baby when her first child (a girl) was born in the hospital, and turns out it was a circ. She decided that she wouldn't let any sons of hers go through that.

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
#35 of 35 Old 10-19-2010, 10:21 AM

I know that this happens in most circs, and I still get sick when it comes up. I just don't understand how anyone could think that slicing off ANYTHING from a baby doesn't hurt them. I just can't wrap my head around it. The idea of my dh as a 2 day old baby having this done to him is like a punch in the gut.

And yes, not to be all tin foil hat, but if the foreskin is being sold off to a cosmetic or pharmaceutical company (it's used in making skin graft material - google "apligraf") it can't be used if it has any sort of anesthetic in it.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page