Help decide whether to have circumcision on next son. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Like you, my oldest was circumcised. I feel bad about it now, but I honestly didn't know better, I just thought that was what you did when you had a boy. After I had him, I learned more about how unnecessary and potentially harmful circumcision is and chose to keep my next two boys intact.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. My 2 boys are 10 years apart. The first one is circumcised, the 2nd one isn't. We did the first one for similar reasons as you - DH is circed, and we thought that's just what you do. Fortunately we learned more and made a better decision the second time around. But having 2 boys who are "different" has not been an issue at all. Penises are different, circed or not.

Kelly - Labor & Delivery RN, IBCLC, Wife of 22 years, Mom to 4
Proud Surrogate Mommy

#33 of 38 Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM

My answer will always be the same - if you're not sure about the decision, DON'T MAKE IT.

Let your son decide if he wants to be circumcised or not. It's his penis, after all. He should have the right to decide if he keeps his foreskin or not.

I'm not anti-circumcision; if adults want to be circumcised, fine by me! I have a problem with infants being subjected to painful, unnecessary cosmetic surgery without their consent.
#34 of 38 Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

So I think we are settled on not circumcising. Mom didn't circumcise brothers because she thought it was cruel. Talked to older brother and he did circumcise his son. Him and his wife didn't give it much thought and just said yes when they were asked for consent. Didn't seem like an issue to him.

My honey is still on the fence though because he has a friend in medical school who says there's issues with guys who are intact. Something about higher stds and infections.
#35 of 38 Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM

There are more risks from the surgery - and it's surgery - of mutilating the genitalia of boys than the risks of leaving boys the way Nature intended, with their foreskins.
#36 of 38 Old 09-23-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
So I think we are settled on not circumcising. Mom didn't circumcise brothers because she thought it was cruel. Talked to older brother and he did circumcise his son. Him and his wife didn't give it much thought and just said yes when they were asked for consent. Didn't seem like an issue to him.

My honey is still on the fence though because he has a friend in medical school who says there's issues with guys who are intact. Something about higher stds and infections.
The friend in medical school needs to spend more time studying. Last I checked, they debunked the MYTHS that removing foreskins = less STDs.

I've had two former boyfriends who were intact, I've had a couple that were not intact (including my now-DH) I can say from experience that men with foreskins um, are better.
#37 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Dev

Dear Whoami, Here is an American male's response:

WHAT IS LOST TO CIRCUMCISION:
About 50% of the penile skin: The double layered foreskin (prepuce), along with the rest of the shaft skin, is a mobile skin system and can freely move up and down the penile shaft, even during an erection.

The Pleasurable Sensations of the “Ridged Bands”: The 1/2 inch wide bands of tissue near the tip of the foreskin is the most highly innervated and erogenous part of the penis containing thousands of nerve endings called Meissner’s Corpuscles. The loss of this tissue along with the adjacent sensitive frenulum, reduces a man’s pleasure and full range of sexual response.

The foreskin’s Gliding action: This is the hallmark mechanical feature of the natural human penis. The non-abrasive gliding of the penis in and out of its own sheath of skin facilitates smooth, comfortable, pleasurable intercourse for both partners.

The Comfort of a covered glans: The foreskin’s inner mucosal tissue provides a warm, moist, protective covering for the sensitive glans. The glans of the circumcised penis becomes dry and calloused from exposure to air and rubbing against clothing.

Choice: A man who was circumcised as an infant has lost his right to an intact, normal, and whole penis and the right to control what happens to his own body.

BOTTOM LINE: HIS PENIS, ONLY HIS CHOICE.
Men (and women) who are allowed as children to keep their whole, intact, normal genitalia, DON’T choose to amputate parts as adults! Please Protect ALL children's genitals from unnecessary amputations.
Best Regards & Many Blessings to your Perfectly created, whole, normal, intact little boy!
Devin
#38 of 38 Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I can think of several ways to get around that issue:

Teach him not to sleep around
Teach him to wear a condom
Teach him to only sleep with trusted partners who have been tested for STDs.

Which I hope you're planning to do anyway. It seems a bit harsh to cut off part of his penis on the grounds that he might be sexually irresponsible when he's a teenager. When he turns 13 (or whatever age), of course, you could explain the situation to him: "Son, some studies show that if you cut off the most sensitive parts of your penis, you might be able to have sex with more women before you contract HIV. There are also conflicting studies, and you should also know that you will gradually lose penile sensation as your glans keratinises, you will be more likely to cause pain and chafing to your female partners, you won't have the gliding action of your foreskin any more, and if you happen to be gay there won't be any protective effect anyway. Oh, and it'll hurt like hell, and if the doctor removes too much foreskin you might experience painful erections for the rest of your life. What do you think?"

If you suspect he'd say "No thanks", there's your answer. If he isn't likely to go for it as an informed adult, don't do it to him when he's too helpless to resist.

Also, circing can interfere with establishing a breastfeeding relationship, and causes long-term changes in the pain response of newborns. One study showed that babies who had been circed were more upset and seemed to be in more pain months later during vaccinations. That's a pretty scary thing to mull over - they don't "remember", but it changes the way they think about pain on at least a semi-long-term basis.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page