Health care workers experience with uncircumcised - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I worked with the eldery years ago. Most of the uncircumcised men were not able to care for themselves very well......leading to thrush in their forskin.

Does this happen often with younger uncircumcised boys?
#2 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No
#3 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I worked with the eldery years ago. Most of the uncircumcised men were not able to care for themselves very well......leading to thrush in their forskin.

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#4 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 AM

No doesn't happen often to boys at least never to my intact DH or my 2 intact boys.

I wonder how many older women who are unable to care fore themselves very well end up with thrush aka yeast infection.

Does this happen often with younger intact girls?

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 01:38 AM
2xy

Yeast grows when a person's immune system is compromised. It has nothing to do with the presence of a foreskin or, IMO, lack of hygiene. It has to do with your level of health, and probably has a lot to do with dietary factors, as well.

People whose bodies are functioning well do not have chronic infections of any kind, and that includes yeast.
#6 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've worked in the health care field for almost 2 decades and I've never worked with someone with a foreskin problem/infection young or old. I had to help bathe plenty of men in both nursing homes and in home health and I don't remember one single yeast infection with a foreskin. I do remember one time a larger, elderly woman having yeast under her breasts though.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#7 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
No doesn't happen often to boys at least never to my intact DH or my 2 intact boys.

I wonder how many older women who are unable to care fore themselves very well end up with thrush aka yeast infection.

Wife of an Airman Mom of Hayden(01-23-06), Vincent(10-26-08), and baby#3(due 01-29-11) Student Midwife&Birth Doula
#8 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

It might be a fault of those people who care for the elderies. If the area is being overcleaned (with soaps, etc), simular to vagina it kills the good bacteria leaving it prone to yeast. Try to wash with soap inside your vagina and you will most likely end up having recurent yeast infections.
#9 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post

My sentiments exactly. I have had yeast infections. SHould I consider painful surgery to prevent this? Sounds quite mad when put in this perspective eh?

Foreskins are never a problem with our 99% intact NICU babies BTW.
#10 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 01:30 PM

In the nursing home I worked in we did not see this much at all. It was the women getting most of the yeast infections and of course you don't remove their parts to take care of this.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#11 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
In the nursing home I worked in we did not see this much at all. It was the women getting most of the yeast infections and of course you don't remove their parts to take care of this.
And you certainly don't remove OTHER people's parts to "take care" of it.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#12 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 02:32 PM

I don't know about younger uncircumcised boys. I'm an uncircumcised woman and I got a horrible and intractible yeast infection when I was about a year old. I'm wondering if they shouldn't have just chopped something off me at that point.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
#13 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM

I've never had this problem myself, and of the intact boys/men I've known I've not heard of it being a problem. If and elderly relative was having this problem in a nursing home I'd be more concerned with the quality of care he or she was receiving at the facility.
#14 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 06:27 PM

dentures?
thrush?
diabetic amputations?
edema?
incontinence?
asthma?
dementia?

yes... getting old can be full of difficult health complications, we all hope that our caregivers will be compassionate and treat us with dignity.
#15 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post

Not anymore than with intact girls - most likely less. Overcleaning is a huge factor.

BTW - it's intact, not uncircumcised. Words have great meaning. people who have all their body parts are the norm or intact. People with missing body parts are not. EX: If you have both of your breasts, you are intact, not unmastectomized.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#16 of 24 Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
BTW - it's intact, not uncircumcised.
The word 'uncircumcised' automatically (or unconsciously) creates negative associations with intactness and positive associations with circumcision.

un implies a lack of and its usually negative unhealthy, unethical, unwise etc. to the point that some people say 'lack of circumcision'. You cam have a lack of a foreskin, but if you can have 'lack of circumcision' then having hair is a lack of baldness and being well fed is a lack of starvation.

'uncircumcised' is a weasel word. It subtly implies circumcision should and could be done and that the circumcised state is normal.

The there is pro-circ guy who has done 10,000 + edits in the circumcision sections of Wikipedia, including changing intact to uncircumcised.

If the word 'uncircumcised' is no longer used, circumcision rates will drop.
#17 of 24 Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 AM

My grandpa was in a nursing home before he passed away and there was lazy caregivers at his care.

So if a caregiver didn't change a elderly person diaper for quite awhile I'm for sure yeast could occur that way in that department due to the laziness of a caregiver and plus with chemicals in disposables that could add to the possible yeast cause .

Also, like how some people fear that foreskin is so dirty that they overclean which could create yeast and are people who are caring for the elderly for sure it is yeast because maybe during the overcleaning they are creating an overproduction of smegma which I wonder if that is being mistaken as yeast ?
#18 of 24 Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 AM

Every now and then someone says an infant should be circed because when he is 85 he might be in a nursing home with dementia and be unable to clean himself.

So circ is done because of the perception it will make work easier for a caregiver who may not be born for another 60 or 65 years.

Its ludicrous.
#19 of 24 Old 09-20-2010, 09:49 AM

Sadly enough, this OP's question is why a good friend and I disagree on Circ. She is a RN in our small town's nursing home and was horrified that I left ds intact. Her exact reasoning was that when he was an old man, he wouldn't be able to take care of himself.
She does not have children or is not planning any in the near future, so I'm still working on her .

Mama to Ahnna-Bella (Dec 05) dust.gif, Harrison (Oct 08) kid.gif, and Kellan Wilder (Jan '12) baby.gif

#20 of 24 Old 09-20-2010, 09:56 AM

I used to work in group homes for adults with developmental disabilities. Some of them required extensive care on matters of personal hygiene -- as with some elderly patients, we had to do pretty much everything for them. I never experienced a yeast infection with an intact patient. One of the women I cared for did get a yeast infection under her breasts, which we treated and put preventatives in place so that it didn't happen again. Proper hygiene is really all it takes under most circumstances (barring systemic yeast, a crashed immune system, etc.). If the caregiver has only ever been taught how to care for a man who was circumcised, and doesn't seek out information when presented with an intact patient, I would hold the caregiver at fault for not acquiring the necessary information and practicing without the necessary training.
#21 of 24 Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
I've never had this problem myself, and of the intact boys/men I've known I've not heard of it being a problem. If and elderly relative was having this problem in a nursing home I'd be more concerned with the quality of care he or she was receiving at the facility.
Exactly. If something as easy as rinsing under a foreskin in the shower is too difficult for the caregiver to do correctly for an elderly client, I shudder to think about how many of the client's other needs are not being adequately met.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#22 of 24 Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM

um, my grandfather died after 11 strokes and 6 years in residential care with 24 hour nursing care, dementia and hemiplegia. he was still able to clean his penis.

i got thrush during my last pregnancy. it's a surprise to hear that it must have been due to me not washing properly since i had been managing fine for the previous 27 years
#23 of 24 Old 09-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by listipton View Post
Sadly enough, this OP's question is why a good friend and I disagree on Circ. She is a RN in our small town's nursing home and was horrified that I left ds intact. Her exact reasoning was that when he was an old man, he wouldn't be able to take care of himself. .
I totally don't understand this logic (and I am an RN with elder care experience too!). Should I have DS's toenails removed now so that his future caregiver won't have to deal with the difficulty of filing them 80 years from now? You know, toenails can get gross and dirty, and sometimes they get *gasp* fungal infections! I can't believe they don't just remove all toenails at birth. What, with all the care they require to keep them trimmed and healthy. Why bother with all of that? It's not like babies would remember having them removed anyway.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#24 of 24 Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM

I worked with moderate to severely developmentally disabled adult men 90% who were intact and never saw a problem. I didn't attempt to wash them. It was inevitable they would pull the foreskin back in the shower themselves rinsing it with clean water, I'm sure it felt good.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page