Silly Percentages - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My oldest is in his teens and he was one of the only intact boys in our mommy group. Most had had homebirths and I was near Berkeley, CA at the time and they all circed. However, 3 years ago, I had another son while living in NYC and no one circed. Not one. I've had a few friends give birth to sons since, and they are all intact as well. I definitely see a change happening, in my world at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 10:58 PM

The circumcision decision is all about peer pressure. That's where the 'look like dad' and 'shower room' reasons come into play. We all know that circumcision doesn't offer any significant health benefits, if any at all. So if it isn't medical, then it must be cultural.

Therefore, what the culture is doing IS important to this discussion. The CDC says the current circ rate is 32%. That's important for parents to consider. Especially since circumcision rates rose as a result of peer pressure. Let's face it, cutting your kid is just a long-lived fad, a fashion that is thankfully old-fashioned. Think of it as your parent's body-mod.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Dan, I agree with you that it is all about parents fearing their son will be the "odd penis out", so as soon as intact becomes the norm in a given area, probably only religious circumcisions will remain.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif

User Tag List