Swollen Penis/Foreskin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 15 months and has never had any issues with his penis until now.

Last night, DH was changing his diaper for bed and called to my attention that the tip/opening of his foreskin was quite red. I couldn't get a very good look because DS was quite upset (I'm not sure if he was crying from pain or just because he generally doesn't like his diaper changed), but it sort of looked like the tip was starting to pull back/turn inside out. He has never been retracted even a little by anyone.

This morning the redness was gone, but the entire amount of his penis that sticks out (which is really only the head) was swollen and looked a little purpley. I can't tell if it's the penis that's swollen or the foreskin. It didn't seem to bother him; he let me wipe with no issue and he grabbed at himself like normal.

He hasn't acted in pain, but it's not going away. I just changed him again and the swelling is still as bad, or maybe even a little worse. It also appears to be a little more purpley. There was also a little amount of something at the tip. I don't know if it was smegma, it certainly didn't look like the smegma my daughter gets. It was liquidy, like urine, but not yellow. It was grayish-white.

I don't really want to rush him to a doctor if it's no big deal (as it doesn't seem to hurt him), but it's freaking me out a little. His little penis is really quite swollen. So, wise Mamas, any ideas what this is? Any 'been there, done that' stories to help alleviate my worries?

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#2 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 06:38 PM

My only btdt story turned out bad. I still dont know what it was. It was very swollen though and a white fluid was coming out. The urologist tried telling me it was inefected and then retracted him against my wishes. I found out from the Er two days later there was no infection but at that point it was back to normal besides how swollen it was from the retraction.

Wife of a Coastie, Mom to Rylin, Alden, Carden and Thumper coming Octoberstork-suprise.gifbfinfant.gifdp_femalesling.GIFsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifhomebirth.jpgribbonpink.gifHelping my mom fight breast cancer.

#3 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 PM

Have you read this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 it explains what to look for and how to treat it or just let it be. It sounds like he may be having yeast issues but it could also just be separation.

Quote:
This morning the redness was gone, but the entire amount of his penis that sticks out (which is really only the head) was swollen and looked a little purpley. I can't tell if it's the penis that's swollen or the foreskin
I am a little confused here are you seeing the glans or are you referring to the inner foreskin where it flares at the tip?

The glans itself is supposed to be a bright red/purple color because it is an internal organ. If it is the inner part of the foreskin then it sounds like an irritation like I mentioned above. Or are you referring to the outer skin of the penis itself?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 9 Old 09-29-2010, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

I mean the outer skin. I've never seen his actual glans, as I've never tried to retract and it doesn't retract on its own yet. I just mean, when not erect, most of his penis likes to live inside his body. He only has a little tip that sticks out regularly. The entire amount that normally protrudes is swollen and purpley, almost like a bruise.

The discharge increased quite a bit, so I did take him up to the walk-in clinic. The doctor gave me some urine collection bags to get a urine sample, and prescribed an antibiotic in the meantime. Of course, if it's a yeast issue, the antibiotic will make it worse.

I have read that thread before, but I didn't really even think of normal separation issues as he's so young. He does like to really go to town on it, though, so perhaps he could be speeding up the process.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

#5 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM

IF it's an infection, it unlikely to be a UTI. UTIs generally don't cause outwardly visible signs. what needs to be cultured is the penis and possibly the discharge. The Dr should have run a swab around the tip (without retracting) to see if there was an infection (as opposed to just normal flora.)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking she should have done a swab as well, but she didn't think it was necessary. I've got the urine sample, and there is definitely something floating around in it. It's kind of cloudy looking. I filled the prescription but haven't given him any yet. The swelling has gone way down since last night (not quite completely normal, but close to it), so I'm going to wait to hear back from the lab before giving him the antibiotics.

The fact that the swelling only lasted a little more than a day makes me think it is just normal separation issues. If he was 2 or 3, I would have assumed separation; I really didn't think he could be starting some young. If that's what it turns out to be, at least I'll know what it is if it happens again.

Thank you so much for the replies.

#7 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM

The cloudiness could be caused by smegma. You said you got a few baggies, could you get another sample to see if it is also cloudy?

#8 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

I dropped off what I had at the lab already. I could try to catch more just to check myself. Honestly, though, I had a hard time getting what I got. The sticky stuff on the baggies wasn't very sticky and Julian hated to wear it. He pulled it off and peed all over my couch/floor, then refused to pee for hours (even though he had almost 3 sippies full of water). I put one on over night, but it came off and there was not a drop off urine in the bag in the morning.

I'm almost certain it was nothing now. I'm going to see what the lab has to say, but he's had no more discharge, the swelling is almost entirely gone, he has no fever, is not acting in pain or irritated. I'm a little embarrassed that I freaked so much now.

#9 of 9 Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Since it's so much trouble, I wouldn't bother. It would just be for your own peace of mind, I think the lab will be able to tell the difference between smegma and white blood cells (which is what makes urine cloudy if there is a UTI.) There are other reasons urine might be cloudy as well, I read an article about it recently, but I can't recall where to link to it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page