Update from the Baby Shower....I saved at least 1 for sure!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The baby Shower on the 25th went GREAT! (Sorry I didn't update earlier, problems logging in)

I wanted to thank everyone for everything and all the help! I think I was able to save A LOT of baby boys from being cut just in that one day. Most people I talked to said they didn't even know they HAD a choice. The best moment of the day came before the event even started...

I was talking with a couple where the husband had lost 2 fingers in a die press at one of our local plants (my husband of course started that convo!) expecting a boy and this is how the convo went (Paraphrased of course!)

me: Here's some info for you since your having a little boy.
wife: What is it?
me: Info on benefits of leaving him intact
wife: oh, were circ'ing. Want him to look like his daddy! (with a big smile on her face)
me: so are you going to amputate his 2 fingers too since you want him to look like your husband?
wife and husband: both standing there looking at me, wife looking like I had 5 heads or something, husband then scratches his head and says,
husband: you know, I'd never thought of it like that before.
He then looks at his wife and tells her to take the pamplets because they had some major reading to do in the next few months.

I know it was a pretty out there way to get it across, but we had all been talking for about 30 min prior to the start, and I felt like taking a risk, thankfully it paid off! They have since emailed me and thanked me for the info and stated they will NOT ever be circing any boys they have!!!!!

I had a lot of people stop by my table and I pretty much lost my voice from all the talking I did that day. I handed out a ton of literature, and hope to set up a table again sometime around here!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 10:19 PM

you go mama it takes a lot of courage to speak up like you did. It takes people who are willing to do what you did to make the change happen.

I am curious did you include information about not retracting and protecting from Dr. who dont know better?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 14 Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, I sure did! I ended up printing a lot of dif pamphlets from people here, and then I had 3 diff pamplets from NOCIRC. Our state director sent me a big box full, and they had info in there about not letting anyone but the owner retract, EVER.

Thanks, and yes it took a LOT of courage! lol. I just decided to take a deep breath and go for it. I figured the least that could happen is they would circ anyways, but maybe if I said something so "out there" they would think. And it paid off big time for their son.

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

#4 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Way to go !!!!!!!!!
#5 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#6 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Good for you! I sure wish more people had been vocal about the issue before my baby was born. We left him intact because it just didn't feel right in my heart to circ, but it wasn't until much later that I learned all the benefits of being intact.
#7 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 09:30 PM

Was this in flint???

ETA: Sorry, forgot to say I was nearly in tears (of joy!!) at your story! I loved when the dad said take those bc we have aclot of reading to do! wonderful, just wonderful. Thank you for doing it.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#8 of 14 Old 10-09-2010, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
Was this in flint???

ETA: Sorry, forgot to say I was nearly in tears (of joy!!) at your story! I loved when the dad said take those bc we have aclot of reading to do! wonderful, just wonderful. Thank you for doing it.
Yep, it was the one in Flint. Did I see you there?

Yes, that dad pretty much made my day when he said that! It really bolstered my resolve to talk for the rest of the day about it. I think I actually spent more time trying to educate people on the issue then I did trying to get doula clients. Which is maybe for the best since my dh and I have decided now is the time for me to start looking for a midwife to apprentice under. SO READY to start that journey! Things always happen for a reason!

#9 of 14 Old 10-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi.birthdoula View Post
Yep, it was the one in Flint. Did I see you there?

Yes, that dad pretty much made my day when he said that! It really bolstered my resolve to talk for the rest of the day about it. I think I actually spent more time trying to educate people on the issue then I did trying to get doula clients. Which is maybe for the best since my dh and I have decided now is the time for me to start looking for a midwife to apprentice under. SO READY to start that journey! Things always happen for a reason!
yes! i was the one with the toddler on my back in the guitar print buckle tai that came up to you and told you my baby was born at home! i had been kicking myself for not getting some contact info from you! and here you are!

kate mazzarra was my midwife, but i think she's in africa right now.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#10 of 14 Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 AM

that is GREAT news!! most of family lives in Flint!
#11 of 14 Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania8 View Post
yes! i was the one with the toddler on my back in the guitar print buckle tai that came up to you and told you my baby was born at home! i had been kicking myself for not getting some contact info from you! and here you are!

kate mazzarra was my midwife, but i think she's in africa right now.
I figured you might be on here somewhere!

Well here I am, and I'm on here quite a bit actually! lol. I've heard that Kate is wonderful. I'm hoping I can find someone who is willing to take me on as an apprentice because I am so very ready to get the show on the road so to speak. If you want my web addy or email just let me know and I'll pm it to you.

So nice to meet someone in person from on here

#12 of 14 Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 AM

We need more threads like this! So wonderful!
#13 of 14 Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM

responding late, but holy crap.....you've got guts...I never could have brought in the two amputated fingers! you're my hero!
#14 of 14 Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM

Good thinking! That was an awesome example you gave that couple talking about the fingers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page