Why do I keep getting asked if I am circumcising my son at every appointment? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
Note, I am not asking this to attack you personally, why can't the procedure be to say nothing unless the parents ask?
It's a financial thing. The docs who do the circs weren't getting paid because patients didn't realize it would be out of pocket, so now patients have to sign paperwork ahead of time acknowledging the cost and setting up a payment plan. Since most people still circ around here, they ask every patient. It's not about pressuring anyone into doing it, rather it deters more people because they don't want to pay for it out of pocket.

They ask as part of your pre-registration for the hospital, done with an OB nurse around 36 weeks. It's the only time you hear about it if you say no.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
Note, I am not asking this to attack you personally, why can't the procedure be to say nothing unless the parents ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I think it would be great if that became the standard. It is an elective procedure so I don't seen why it needs to be asked about/offered.
ITA I will even take it one step further, circumcision is not a medically beneficial procedure so it should not be offered in a medical setting.

It cannot be made illegal in North America because of constitutional religious freedoms, but imagine the impact if it were banned in the medical community.

Europe has started with this Australia has bannings in place and the latest I have heard of is in British Columbia Canada hospitals are no longer offering elective circumcision. Unfortunately there are still doctors lacking ethics who have opened clinics to fill the gap, but we are headed in the right direction.

Take care

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaGoat View Post
I can ask about it at my appointment next week.

I don't really think they are 'soliciting' for a circumcision, just asking what my plan is. Also I don't know that they even perform circumcisions, my guess is that they would have to arrange for someone at the hospital to do it. I can't know what they would say if I were to say "Yes, I am circumcising." Would they educate me on the procedure, try to change my mind?

I am not over the top offended, just annoyed because I don't see why they need to ask more than once. It has been a different person each time so it may just be that they normally ask when they first see a patient.
I would be curious what they say. If you remember, please post back to this thread. I can't really think of a valid reason they would need to ask more than once or twice. It's obviously in your chart, so no need to keep going over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
...Asking more than once is emotional abuse, patronizing and harassment. It should be reported.
I disagree that it's emotional abuse, but I definitely think it's patronizing.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
It cannot be made illegal in North America because of constitutional religious freedoms, but imagine the impact if it were banned in the medical community.
I don't know about Canada, but it could probably theoretically be banned in the U.S (remember that the two countries do not have identical legal and government systems, even though a lot of people describe "North America" and lump them together). I'm not a lawyer, but if I understand correctly courts have ruled in other areas that "freedom of religion" applies only to the right for YOU to practice a religion YOURSELF and not when it comes to applying your religion's practices to others. (Some people even say that the FGM law could be considered unconstitutional on the basis of the government not providing equal protection if it isn't changed to apply to males as well.)

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
You might ask them why they keep asking, and if they know that it's considered to be unethical to solicit unneccessary surgery.

Rebecca, wife to DH (4-22-02), mother to DD (10-13-05) and DS (9-24-08)

User Tag List