Recurring infections - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2yr old is having a problem with recurring infections under his foreskin. It has been a problem for about 6mths. One one occasion he was in too much pain to walk, and on another occasion he had a thick pussy discharge. He was complaining of pain a few weeks ago but with no discharge, just a slight redness. I took him to the Dr and he did a swab and put him on oral and topical antibiotics again. The swab showed no significant growth. He is complaining of the same pain again and it is affecting his sleep. He is very specific in identifying where the pain is. The dr has scheduled an appointment with a surgeon in 2weeks

Can someone please help me to understand what is going on and how I can avoid circumcision for him?
#2 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guadalupe View Post
My 2yr old is having a problem with recurring infections under his foreskin. It has been a problem for about 6mths. One one occasion he was in too much pain to walk, and on another occasion he had a thick pussy discharge. He was complaining of pain a few weeks ago but with no discharge, just a slight redness. I took him to the Dr and he did a swab and put him on oral and topical antibiotics again. The swab showed no significant growth. He is complaining of the same pain again and it is affecting his sleep. He is very specific in identifying where the pain is. The dr has scheduled an appointment with a surgeon in 2weeks

Can someone please help me to understand what is going on and how I can avoid circumcision for him?
So if the swab showed no significant growth then what are the antibiotics for?

A couple of questions though: Did the doctor consider and look for a yeast infection? Second, are you using cloth diapers or disposables? If the former, have they been stripped recently?
#3 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
So if the swab showed no significant growth then what are the antibiotics for?

A couple of questions though: Did the doctor consider and look for a yeast infection? Second, are you using cloth diapers or disposables? If the former, have they been stripped recently?
I guess the Dr is assuming there is an infection andd the swab just didn't pick it up. He also said there was no yeast growth. If there is no infection, then what causes for pain could there be? He spent the night grabbing at his nappy and writhing around kicking his legs complaining "bottom hurts".

I am using disposables.
#4 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I guess the Dr is assuming there is an infection andd the swab just didn't pick it up. He also said there was no yeast growth. If there is no infection, then what causes for pain could there be? He spent the night grabbing at his nappy and writhing around kicking his legs complaining "bottom hurts".

I am using disposables.
I can't get the link until I am home but sometimes intact boys go through periods of soreness as the foreskin separates from the glans. It's not usually as bad as you describe most are mild and go unnoticed. I am thinking that may be it but a few more questions.

Could you describe the discharge he had earlier? Is he urinating comfortably, aside from the soreness, that is is the stream strong?

As for the soreness, many find that a bath in warm water with a cup or two of baking soda will sooth the irritation also lots of diaper free time would be usefully too.
#5 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

his first infection I didn't even know what the problem was. I thought something terrible had happened. He was screaming and would collapse when he tried to walk and would kind of climb up me like he was trying to get away from the lower half of his body. I took him to the Dr and he didn't retract his foreskin, but kind of peered in the top of it, just exposing the tip of the penis, if that makes sense. He said it was inflamed and ulcerated. The second infection was similar and when i went to the Dr he examined him in the same way and when he touched his penis about half a teaspoon of puss (very similar in colour and consistency of green snot) came out.
He's not had a discharge like that since. At the moment the foreskin is reddened and his sleep very disturbed. I had to give him pain relief last night to get him to the point of not crying and saying "bottom hurts" "wee wee hurts". I have never seen him urinate, but i have no reason to believe it is painful (by "wee wee" I think he means "penis"). He has what I consider a good sized opening at the end of his foreskin. He is a very particular little thing and refuses to not wear a nappy.
#6 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 09:28 PM

I have bumped up our soreness thread so that you can give it a read, you might find some ideas in there.

Quote:
his first infection I didn't even know what the problem was. I thought something terrible had happened. He was screaming and would collapse when he tried to walk and would kind of climb up me like he was trying to get away from the lower half of his body. I took him to the Dr and he didn't retract his foreskin, but kind of peered in the top of it, just exposing the tip of the penis, if that makes sense. He said it was inflamed and ulcerated.
It makes perfect sense.

Quote:
The second infection was similar and when i went to the Dr he examined him in the same way and when he touched his penis about half a teaspoon of puss (very similar in colour and consistency of green snot) came out.
The puss could either be puss or smegma, when the foreskin separates from the glans it is not uncommon for a discharge as you describe. The way to know whether it is puss as in discharge from an infection is either testing or you can tell by the smell. He didn't have a fever did he?

Quote:
He's not had a discharge like that since. At the moment the foreskin is reddened and his sleep very disturbed. I had to give him pain relief last night to get him to the point of not crying and saying "bottom hurts" "wee wee hurts". I have never seen him urinate, but i have no reason to believe it is painful (by "wee wee" I think he means "penis"). He has what I consider a good sized opening at the end of his foreskin. He is a very particular little thing and refuses to not wear a nappy.
I am still thinking this is an unusually bad case of separation. I am hoping more posters will come along to give additional opinions. My best advice I believe is the baking soda baths, diaper free time, and the pain reliever you gave him is a good thought too.

While I am thinking of it, any changes in chemical use? Things such as soaps, detergents, ect? Has he been to a pool recently? Type of diapers? Sometimes these things can cause reactions. Just throwing it out.

Just out of curiosity, where are you posting from?
#7 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

He has never had a fever with it. I did not notice a smell, but I didn't actively smell it, either. I will keep up the baths, and have had some essential oils recommended to try in his bath and as a wash, as well as a natural antiseptic cream. These things will be ok won't they? I've had no changes in chemical use, or nappy brand. I am posting from Australia.

This morning I convinced him to go without a nappy for an hour or so. He cheered when I put it back on him. lol
#8 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
He has never had a fever with it. I did not notice a smell, but I didn't actively smell it, either. I will keep up the baths, and have had some essential oils recommended to try in his bath and as a wash, as well as a natural antiseptic cream. These things will be ok won't they?
An infection would have had a nauseating rotting smell to it, otherwise it's smegma discharging which occurs primarily when a boy's foreskin is separating; the connective tissue is kind of dissolving and discharging.

I don't see a problem with the oils but the antiseptic might cause a yeast infection but I am not certain. Perhaps someone could check on that.

Quote:
I've had no changes in chemical use, or nappy brand. I am posting from Australia.
Hmm. Ok.

Quote:
This morning I convinced him to go without a nappy for an hour or so. He cheered when I put it back on him. lol
I'd say the longer you can have him go without it the better. Also I wouldn't completely rule out a yeast infection either. If he was on ABX and didn't actually have an infection (sometimes even if he does) it can kill the good as well as the bad bacteria and cause a yeast over growth. You might want to double check that.
#9 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't know how readily available a good skin healing herbal salve is in your area but that would be my first choice for any skin irritation.

Is it possible that he has some abrasion from handling his foreskin too much?

I'd also strongly consider yeast. You can always apply yogurt topically to his penis and see if that brings any relief. If he's taken any oral antibiotics, it will throw off his natural bacterial/yeast balance and create an environment that is perfect for yeast overgrowth.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#10 of 24 Old 11-04-2010, 10:18 PM

Here is the link to the possible separation issue thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=764732 since the swab showed no infection then odds are that he was just experiencing a more painful that normal separation trauma. Maybe he got a bit to ruff with it and caused separation to happen before he was physically ready.

Please dont let them circ your little guy. You just need to get to the bottom of the problem. Infections (though I dont think your ds has one) are not a reason to circ. Girls get them circed boys get them but they dont cut on them for it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 AM

Ask the doctor how he would treat a girl with a similar presentation. Then insist that he do THAT instead of cutting.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#12 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
Ask the doctor how he would treat a girl with a similar presentation. Then insist that he do THAT instead of cutting.
Ditto - These symptoms do not necessitate a prepuce amputation. Take your child to a "foreskin friendly" doctor even if you have to drive a distance. Keep us updated.
#13 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 01:19 PM

I would hope that if all else failed, the Australian docs would go to steroid cream to speed retraction instead of circumcision.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#14 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

plus i don't think it would be a good idea to have an open wound if there is an active infection. so you would want the infection cleared up before the circ anyway. and if they can clear up his issue then he doesn't need the circ.

i agree also with the finding out if they would circ a girl if she had a weird sort of infection.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#15 of 24 Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 PM

How's your boy doing today?
#16 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
as well as a natural antiseptic cream.
Some antibiotic creams can cause irritation when used on genitals (even if the person has no irritation when using it on regular skin.) It goes by the brand name Neosporin or the generic name polysporin in the USA, but I don't know what it might be called in Australia.

Over use of soap can cause problems too.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#17 of 24 Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Guadalupe, Please think long and hard before going to that surgeon. Surgeons are are trained to cut things off. I would cancel that appt. Make your doctor explain how he/she would treat a girl or a circumcised patient. And as the others have suggested, try treating for yeast.
Good luck, and let us know how you are making out.
#18 of 24 Old 11-07-2010, 12:53 AM

hakunangovi said
Quote:
I would cancel that appt. Make your doctor explain how he/she would treat a girl or a circumcised patient.

Surgeons have their own agenda. Keep away.

Quote:
I took him to the Dr and he didn't retract his foreskin, but kind of peered in the top of it, just exposing the tip of the penis, if that makes sense.
I'm confused, it sounds like he retracted the foreskin.
#19 of 24 Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry- it was a big weekend, with one of the kids falling and injuring themselves. I'm finally getting back to this.

I will try to answer all the questions...

He didn't retract the foreskin. DS has a kind of short foreskin, and if you just rearrange the skin alittle you can see the head of the penis. This is all he did- no force at all.

I like the idea of asking how it would be treated if he was a girl.

The antibiotic cream used was called chloromycetin.

I am now using an antifungal nappy cream on the area. I am giving him a long bath daily alternating between salt water and the antiseptic essential oils.

I don't think it is from him handling the foreskin too much. Hes in nappies, and we are at the end of a long winter, and he just hasnt had the access. I have never caught him with his hand in his nappy. I would be surprised if that was the case.

I also find the idea of a steroid cream to hasten separation interesting. I will discuss it with my SIL.

I will cancel the surgeon today. If needed, do you think a trip to a paediatric urologist would be better?
#20 of 24 Old 11-07-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Sorry- it was a big weekend, with one of the kids falling and injuring themselves. I'm finally getting back to this.
Ouch, these things happen I suppose

Quote:
I like the idea of asking how it would be treated if he was a girl.

The antibiotic cream used was called chloromycetin.

I am now using an antifungal nappy cream on the area. I am giving him a long bath daily alternating between salt water and the antiseptic essential oils.

I don't think it is from him handling the foreskin too much. Hes in nappies, and we are at the end of a long winter, and he just hasnt had the access. I have never caught him with his hand in his nappy. I would be surprised if that was the case.

I also find the idea of a steroid cream to hasten separation interesting. I will discuss it with my SIL.

I will cancel the surgeon today. If needed, do you think a trip to a paediatric urologist would be better?
As there is no laboratory indication for infection, fever or other symptoms, this sounds like a good idea. As you're in Australia I don't think they'll be as quick to jump to circumcision as they are here in the US. I'd be interested to hear what he/she has to say.
#21 of 24 Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Actually the steroid cream should only be used on a boy in puberty or older. Using it on younger children can result in issues. Like having a foreskin that retracts while using it then it tightens back down after you stop because his body just isnt ready to retract yet.

A pediatric urologist would definitely be preferable to a surgeon since all they know about is cutting and your ds in no way needs to be cut on.

I would watch and make sure that the urologist does not retract him and if he starts talking about some boys just need circ then you know you have the wrong urologist because no boy needs circ unless he has cancer, frostbite or gangrene none of which applies to your ds.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#22 of 24 Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 PM

If he's not in any acute pain and is passing urine with no difficulty or complaint, I'd stay away from doctors, but my personal experiences have led me to choose medical care only when in clear emergency and I'll fully disclose that here as it shapes my opinion to wait and see.

Are you seeing any change with the anti-fungal cream?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#23 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I just thought I would post an update. I got a natural skin healing cream which was recommended to me and gave pain relief as needed and it wasn't long before he was not complaining anymore. It turns out my DH had similar problems despite being circed.

Thankyou very much for the advice!

#24 of 24 Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guadalupe View Post
 It turns out my DH had similar problems despite being circed.

I think this is worth repeating. So many people think circumcision will prevent every problem. It doesn't. Circumcised men get the same exact problems.

Thanks for sharing this and I'm so happy your little boy is feeling better!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page