Uncircumcised penis - red?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's tip of his penis is red and looks sore, should I worry about infection and if so what can do for it? Thanks!

Tired Mommasleepytime.gif of Lukejog.gif (11/7/09) and Dillonbabyboy.gif(9/19/11)
Practicing:novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifslingboy.gif  h20homebirth.gifwhale.gif and married to my DH Danielblowkiss.gif (6/3/06) Always remembering our angel babybrokenheart.gif (8/07)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How long has it looked like that? DS's has once or twice looked red but then by the next diaper change was fine so I figure it was nothing.
If it lasted more than a day or two I'd call the pediatrician.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM

I'd treat it like diaper rash, air him out, a little diaper cream and make sure he stays as dry as possible. Not a big deal, it's happened to both of mine and it goes away pretty quickly.

FWIW I'd be very hesitant to bring an intact boy to an American doctor for anything other than something very serious that I could not treat at home.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#4 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'd guess diaper rash as well. My boys have both had red penises from time to time. It always passes quickly without treatment and has never gotten as bad as diaper rash on the bum cheeks or in the folds. It's most likely the same for you.

Friday13th - it's shocking to hear that you feel that way about American doctors. I didn't realize it was still that way in the US. Circumcision is a rarity in most of Canada now.

OP, despite this, if you see any swelling or puss or if your baby gets a fever, I'd see a doctor. Intact penises are not the fragile infections waiting to happen that many people believe they are (I think they are actually more protected especially at this young age before the foreskin can retract) and I've never heard of a penis infection (and no one is circumcised where I live), but I'd follow your instincts and observations and see a HCP if you are worried.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 PM

When my DS's gets like that I do a soak in the sink with baking soda and it clears it right up! The lovely mamas over in the Case Against Circumcision forum taught me that Stop by to ask them if you have any more questions about care of the intact penis - they're great!

#6 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 AM

That happened to my DS as well, turns out he was having a reaction to baby powder. I didn't ever use it but DH was constantly coating him in it.

Occasionally it happens now even though we don't use powder anymore, but it goes away without any treatment, other than soaking in the tub for a little while.

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#7 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
I

Friday13th - it's shocking to hear that you feel that way about American doctors. I didn't realize it was still that way in the US. Circumcision is a rarity in most of Canada now.
I was going to say in my post to make sure your doc is intact-friendly. But I didn't because something like half or more of American babies born today are left intact, so you'd think American pedis are aware of this and acting accordingly. I'm sure there are still a few who are uneducated, but I would bet most have seen intact babies and know how to handle them.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#8 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 11:16 AM

We have used a number of different pediatricians (6 or 7 I think) before finding the one we have now, who is the only one I'm really comfortable with. And I still keep an eye on him when the diaper is off.

For the most part during a WBV they're ok but if you come in with a penis problem they think there's nothing to do other than retract to "get a look". I also wouldn't really trust them for an accurate diagnosis. Normal seperation can look like an infection to a doctor who is unfamiliar with intact children.
And we're in Massachusetts which has a lower circ rate than middle America.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#9 of 11 Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM

Moved to TCAC

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#10 of 11 Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Just put a little diaper cream on it.  We liked Burt's Bees, but whatever works for you is fine.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#11 of 11 Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Here is a thread you may find helpful http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732

About the dr's being knowledgeable about the intact penis well from all the posts in the CAC where US dr are hurting little boys and my personal dealing with 3 separate ped's in my kids practice this just isnt the case. You cannot trust a Dr will know about the intact penis you just cant greensad.gif It is better to do your own research before taking them in so you know what to protect them from ie retraction and what the problem might be so that you can request a swab before treatment. Otherwise you will probably hear infection = some boys just need circ which is total BS.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page