Pediatrician...should he be doing this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS had a WBV today, and when the ped was examining him he sort of "tested" to see if the foreskin was retracting. He didn't forcibly retract it, he just gently tried to move it. DS was fine, he didn't even make a sound, so I didn't think much of it...but now I'm wondering if this was a bad thing. I don't want to freak out for no reason, but I obviously don't want my DS to be harmed in any way. WDYT?

Mom to Kevin,bfinfant.gif : born naturally 4-7-10 nocirc.gif

#2 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 PM

No he should not be doing it. Reasons:
1) he could accidently hurt your ds by making micro tears allowing bacteria in.
2) he could tell you that because your ds is X age and isnt retracting something is wrong and he needs circed. causing you needless worry and doubt.
3) There is nothing in there he needs to see. If there is a problem it will show up without risking injury to your ds.

Just tell him from now on that you do not want him to touch your ds's penis at all so that you dont have to deal with the what if's. In this case it truly is better safe than sorry. He could hurt your ds in a heartbeat and once it is done it cant be undone but if it never happens you never have to worry about it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh...thanks for the reply. I already feel like this ped thinks I'm a know it all based on my thoughts about vaccinating...now I have to figure out how to tell him not to retract DS. I wish doctors were more familiar with this stuff, jeez.

#4 of 10 Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 AM

Your son is fine. The foreskin is not going to fall off because of a little manipulation but poking around in there is not necessary. It will retract on its own sometime between now and his late teens. There is no reason to check it unless a problem arises.
#5 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I thought it was a legitimate question about retraction...I never thought his foreskin was going to "fall off". I have never dealt with an uncircumcised baby, and apparently peds in my area haven't dealt with many either, so someone has to know what to do. In the case of my DS, I would like to educate myself as much as possible. I'm not getting hysterical or anything, it was just a question.

#6 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM

It was a very good question and if you dont ask you dont know right? smile.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Sure, it was a great question.  I was just trying to make my post a little lighthearted.  My point is that the foreskin is designed to withstand all kinds of manipulation, and it's no big deal if someone just touches it.  At the same time, it's best to leave it alone, and put it out of your mind.  It will retract on its own as your son grows up. 

#8 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...he did retract it a little, just gently and not past the point that it gave resistance. The way my DS yanks at himself, I'm surprised anything is still attached.

#9 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.t View Post

Thanks...he did retract it a little, just gently and not past the point that it gave resistance. The way my DS yanks at himself, I'm surprised anything is still attached.

He'll be fine. I think the general take away would be that although you should avoid unnecessary retraction and such, this particular incident probably won't be any problem for him.  The foreskin is not necessarily delicate, as you've probably observed, but that being said it's best to just leave it be.

#10 of 10 Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Short answer, he shouldn't be doing this, I wouldn't let it happen again.

Was he wearing gloves? Just curious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page