Mario Lopez speaks out in favor of the foreskin! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was just flipping around before bed and happened across some new reality show with Mario Lopez, and paused because I like him. Apparently it's a show about he and his wife having a baby, and in the scene I saw, he made a solid case for intactness during a family dinner. Go Mario! Anyone know more?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 AM

Not surprising since he's hispanic and likely intact himself. I'll make a point to check out the show.
#3 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 AM

Watching now. Her family is so out of line trying to get her to have the baby circumcised behind his back.
#4 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 AM

Wait. Why didn't Mario just admit he was not circumcised?! That is so odd. And how can his girlfriend say the things she said when she's dating an intact man???
#5 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 AM

Ok. Nevermind, he did finally admit it at the end. And his gf insulted him and said "it looked like a turtleneck!" and said it was awkward at first. SMH.
#6 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 AM

There was a happy ending! I'm proud of Mario for standing his ground!
#7 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the blow-by-blow account! Nice. I'll try to DVR it so I can see the rest, I only saw that one clip.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#8 of 20 Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Now I really like him! I used to think he was a tad goofy.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#9 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 06:19 AM

That's great! Hope to hear more people talk about it. smile.gif

Angela married to the love of my life Mommy to Summer Hailey and Evan
#10 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 09:06 AM

I was intrigued, so I bought a copy of the episode. I'm glad he made this non-negotiable; it seems few dads do. Mario sounded pretty informed about the subject and his points were essentially irrefutable: "This is how males are made - deal with it. The alternative means unnecessary surgery, and I can't condone it. Circ is painful. The foreskin is integral and functional - don't pretend it isn't."

It was a bit disappointing to see not only his brother-in-law and sister-in-law (Courtney's family) conspire to push circumcision, but even Mario's only sibling, Marissa, argue that circumcision is good and her own son felt nothing. Out of 14 people at the dinner table, the only one with a foreskin and making the pro-intact case was Mario Lopez. Talk about ganged up on. His sister's husband and son are cut, his wife's brother and brother-in-law are cut, and Mario's mom kept mum. Kudos to him in an obviously uphill battle. Of course, he can always find support from his intact former co-star on Saved by the Bell, Mark-Paul Gosselaar.

I love how Mario related the issue to his Italian-American inlaws: "We're the only country that does this. Italy doesn't do this."

I did find it weird that Courtney was so fixated that her future son might be made fun of in LA. Aren't intact boys pretty solidly the majority on the West Coast? Then again, she's an Easterner.

#11 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I just watched this episode online, and I high fived the screen when Mario was making his pro-intact statements. Now I have to clean the monitor. When his girlfriend & family made her pro-circ comments, I started grumbling to myself about what a UAV she is. 

I also had to laugh when they were talking about how inappropriate the circumcision talk was at the dinner table. I've been guilty of having such inappropriate comments at dinner... one time at Red Lobster. wink1.gif

#12 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Seems that baby turned out to be a girl in the end, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Lopez#Personal_life

Stardust

#13 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust27 View Post

Seems that baby turned out to be a girl in the end, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Lopez#Personal_life

Stardust

Did his wife want her circumcised? orngtongue.gif

#14 of 20 Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 PM

My mom and I watched tonight! I was very surprised, pleasantly so. I knew from a magazine that circumcision was discussed and saw one of his quotes from the episode, but I thought it was going to be a brief conversation. Mario REALLY knew his stuff...he knew how it was done, that it hurt, that the rest of the world was intact and that the foreskin "isn't optional." The fact that he pulled a MDC mama and said "nope, not negotiable, it's absolutely not happening no matter what" made my crush turn into an even bigger one, haha. I loved when Courtney was going on about the "benefits" and he just stared at her in shock like she was the dumbest person alive. The fact that he gave her full naming rights if it was a girl in order to keep their child intact made me realize that he's really passionate about it, which makes me happy.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#15 of 20 Old 11-14-2010, 04:31 PM

I just posted about this on a different thread because I thought this was so awesome that it's on a mainstream show.  You all have said a lot of the things I said.  If only we could get a campaign of male celebrities going to STOP circ!

#16 of 20 Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 AM

Awesome! I have a newfound respect for him.

Melissa Wife to DHpartners.gif, Mom to DSbouncy.gif (3 y.o.) and DD wave.gif (infant) We are a homebirthing, no circ, select and delay vax, cosleeping, full-term breastfeeding happy family!

#17 of 20 Old 11-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtYourCervices View Post

I also had to laugh when they were talking about how inappropriate the circumcision talk was at the dinner table. I've been guilty of having such inappropriate comments at dinner... one time at Red Lobster.

wink1.gif

Me too, at Easter dinner a few years back :D

caffix.gif

#18 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Mario was on the Wendy Williams show after this episode where she questioned him about it and he proved his awesomeness once again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu_uYwDx_H8

#19 of 20 Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Was this a sit-com, with actors saying written lines?  Or was is a reality show with actual family members stating their opinions?

(Clearly, I've never seen the Mario Lopez show.  hide.gif Forgive me.)

ETA: Never mind.  I looked into it.  Very cool.  Well all the family members weren't cool, but Mr. Lopez's stance was.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#20 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM

Good for him!

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page