Son has a sore under his foreskin - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is almost 8 and intact. He mentioned to me last night that his penis was hurting (also mentioned some pain in his groin, which I chalked up to a strained muscle) and then this morning he told me he saw some blood when he pulled the skin back. I took a look at it and there is a "slice" (about 1/4" or so) right where the foreskin meets the body of the penis. It is a little red as you would imagine, but the redness is very localized with no streaking or spreading from the immediate area. There was no active bleeding or oozing of any kind. He denies any type of trauma or any idea where it came from. He says he just noticed it yesterday morning and that it feels like it is getting better today. It doesn't look infected (I am a nurse, but I only work with women currently so this is NOT my area of expertise), but I am just concerned because I don't know what would cause a wound like this to occur. He does not routinely retract his foreskin and clean under it, although I have suggested that he do so. I sent him to the shower to get cleaned up and told him we would keep an eye on it and see if it gets better/worse.

On a side note, I am reluctant to take him to the ped because the last time we saw him, he attempted to retract his foreskin, and he told us he was concerned that his foreskin was "tight" and wanted him to consult a urologist for possible circumcision. He was very ominous and used scare tacticts. I did my own research (including posting on here), and found that non-retractibility at this age is completely normal, plus my son showed me that he actually can retract it himself without difficulty. I have not yet confronted the ped with this informantion, but was planning to do so at his check-up next month. But you could see why it would be uncomfortable to make an urgent appt for a foreskin issue, and why I don't trust him on that topic anyway!

Any thoughts or suggestions or experiences with a sore like this would be appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Cindi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Could it be that the last bit of synecchia has let go?  i.e. the last of the separation process?  I recall my DS being almost fully retractable at age 5, but his foreskin was still attached to the glans just around the corona.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:11 PM

I thing what hakunangovi mentions is the most like cause. It could just be that he was playing with it a bit too roughly though.  Considering that he is 8 yo, I would expect he was past sticking things in it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Well other than the last of the natural adhesion letting go. Irritation from soap where he didnt rinse well enough could be an issue as well as yeast could be an issue. I would mention to him that if he is using soap to wash with to make sure he rinses it really well with clear water before getting out of the bath. For yeast OTC monistat applied to the area would help. That is the 3 things I can think of.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List