Scared NOT to circ. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've been to this forum a million times. I have two sons that were circumcised. I never gave it any thought back then...I started to before my DD was born and I was just thankful she was a girl and so I didn't have to think too much on it. Now I'm pregnant again and due this summer. I don't WANT to circ. I think it's unnecessary. I think the reasons people do it are ridiculous. I don't want to put my baby in danger for no reason. 

But. 

I'm still nervous. What if he grows up and ends up feeling bad about himself because his brothers are and he isn't? How do I -know- that I can instill that confidence in him to be happy with himself and to not let what others say bother him. Around here the circ rate is near 100% and I just worry, I guess. 

I know these aren't reasons to do it. I know. *sighs* But but but...

Can anybody help me feel more confident? I still wouldn't do it but I just wish I could feel HAPPY about it instead of nervous. (As silly as it sounds.) 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#2 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

the foreskin is the best part of the penis. why would he feel bad or less-than, when he is the one who has it all?

#3 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM

My state is pretty high-circ, and I've seen several little boys recently who are not (locker room after swim lessons).  There may be more intact boys where you live than you realize?  I hadn't seen anyone intact until this year.  I know the moms probably feel pretty isolated in their choice - I haven't said anything, because I think it might seem creepy, but I'm so glad that they made the choice they made! 

Dh and I, if we were to have a son, would not circumcise.  But, we're likely done (with two dds).  Dh's circumcision as an infant has negatively impacted our sex life.  It may be 'normal,' but as you've discovered in your research, I'm sure, it can have some side effects which are taken for granted by our culture since we have such a high circ rate. 

You're making the right choice.  There are other moms here who will share the snappy comebacks their kids have suggested for those locker-room situations (which it seems don't really happen much).  I know one mom said her son told her that he'd just say, "Dude, why are you looking at my ....?" 

Even if I didn't feel strongly about intactivism, the incidences of staph and the stories about babies who bled too much etc. --- would all make me very nervous, personally.  And keep reminding yourself - no major medical authority recommends routine infant circumcision.  None. 

If he decides he wishes he were circumcised when he's 18 - you could always offer to pay for it then.  From all I've read, he will not be interested in that though!  ;) But, if he is, he'll have good pain management during and afterwords, and the doctors wouldn't be 'guessing' how much to take off.  This is a good way to handle it with pushy family members, too - tell them, "Hey, donate to a fund, we'll let him decide when he's 18 whether he wants to use it for a circumcision or for college or a car/mortgage payment." 

Brendalee likes this.

Not all who wander are lost.
#4 of 40 Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I guess it's just nice to hear because I will never hear those things around here. I know it's the right choice, I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

My state is pretty high-circ, and I've seen several little boys recently who are not (locker room after swim lessons).  There may be more intact boys where you live than you realize?  I hadn't seen anyone intact until this year.  I know the moms probably feel pretty isolated in their choice - I haven't said anything, because I think it might seem creepy, but I'm so glad that they made the choice they made! 

Dh and I, if we were to have a son, would not circumcise.  But, we're likely done (with two dds).  Dh's circumcision as an infant has negatively impacted our sex life.  It may be 'normal,' but as you've discovered in your research, I'm sure, it can have some side effects which are taken for granted by our culture since we have such a high circ rate. 

You're making the right choice.  There are other moms here who will share the snappy comebacks their kids have suggested for those locker-room situations (which it seems don't really happen much).  I know one mom said her son told her that he'd just say, "Dude, why are you looking at my ....?" 

Even if I didn't feel strongly about intactivism, the incidences of staph and the stories about babies who bled too much etc. --- would all make me very nervous, personally.  And keep reminding yourself - no major medical authority recommends routine infant circumcision.  None. 

If he decides he wishes he were circumcised when he's 18 - you could always offer to pay for it then.  From all I've read, he will not be interested in that though!  ;) But, if he is, he'll have good pain management during and afterwords, and the doctors wouldn't be 'guessing' how much to take off.  This is a good way to handle it with pushy family members, too - tell them, "Hey, donate to a fund, we'll let him decide when he's 18 whether he wants to use it for a circumcision or for college or a car/mortgage payment." 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#5 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My first two sons were circumcised as well. By the time DS#3 came, I had done tons of research to feel comfortable choosing to leave him intact.  Do your research on the hows, the history, the whys and why nots, watch a video of a circumcision (I think this should be mandatory for all parents considering the procedure), and you'll grow comfortable with your decision too. 

I have enormous regrets with regards to the first two boys and, to be quite honest, my soul smiles just a bit every time I change DS#3's diaper and see that he is just the way he is supposed to be. 

~Kat
DS#1 (15), DS#2 (13), DS#3 (2):
#6 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofboyz View Post

My first two sons were circumcised as well. By the time DS#3 came, I had done tons of research to feel comfortable choosing to leave him intact.  Do your research on the hows, the history, the whys and why nots, watch a video of a circumcision (I think this should be mandatory for all parents considering the procedure), and you'll grow comfortable with your decision too. 

I have enormous regrets with regards to the first two boys and, to be quite honest, my soul smiles just a bit every time I change DS#3's diaper and see that he is just the way he is supposed to be. 

Aww, I know how you feel! This may seem weird saying this, so I usually keep it to myself, but I think my son's penis is so cute when he's cold and it's wrinkled up.

lovingmommyhood- once you get used to seeing your baby's intact penis, a circumcised penis will start to look a little funny.

#7 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

I'm still nervous. What if he grows up and ends up feeling bad about himself because his brothers are and he isn't? How do I -know- that I can instill that confidence in him to be happy with himself and to not let what others say bother him.

If he does - and there's absolutely no reason to think he will - he can get circ'd later if he wants to. He can't grow a new foreskin. He can do foreskin restoration, but that's not the same thing.

I don't think this is at all likely to be a problem.

madcap150 likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:

I also live in a state that has a high circ rate. I just completed a degree in early childhood education, and during my studies did various internships at local daycares and preschools. LOTS of intact little boys around here. I can pretty much guarantee that the locker room situation (which is probably overblown in the first place) will not be an issue. Like Elanorh, mentioned, I would also be extremely afraid of staph after a circ. It is rampant in hospitals, and doing any unnecessary procedure that could increase the chance of a staph infection would freak me out. Good luck with your new baby, and I applaud you for being so brave to explore leaving your new little one intact. I'm sure it's extra-hard when you have two who are already circed.

#9 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebugsmom View Post

Quote:

I also live in a state that has a high circ rate. I just completed a degree in early childhood education, and during my studies did various internships at local daycares and preschools. LOTS of intact little boys around here. I can pretty much guarantee that the locker room situation (which is probably overblown in the first place) will not be an issue. Like Elanorh, mentioned, I would also be extremely afraid of staph after a circ. It is rampant in hospitals, and doing any unnecessary procedure that could increase the chance of a staph infection would freak me out. Good luck with your new baby, and I applaud you for being so brave to explore leaving your new little one intact. I'm sure it's extra-hard when you have two who are already circed.

Thank you so much everybody for being gentle with me! And thank you doodlebugsmom, that has been the hardest part. I know it's the right thing to do and I know I'll be so happy to not "have" to send my baby boy off (if this is a boy) to the nursery to have such a horrible thing done. Thanks again!! 

#10 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 02:00 PM

I agree that you might be making a bigger of this than is warranted - (don't mean to make you feel bad - it's probably pregnany hormones). I live in a high circ state, my son is intact AND goes to a Jewish day care. (We are not Jewish). I was all concerned and wanted to talk to the Director about how they didn't need to do anything different with his penis, just clean it etc. She just laughed and was like - We've seen plenty of uncircumsized boys here. I think it's totally going to be a non-issue in the locker room. To the extent anyone thinks about it, I imagine it will be like skin color and they'll just figure some look different. It's not something I worry about at all.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#11 of 40 Old 12-14-2010, 08:19 PM

I have an intact son in a high circumcising state.  I know several other boys who are intact.  The tide is changing, even in the high circumcision areas.

Remember, this is an adult you are raising.  Our children are only children for a small portion of their lives.  The decisions we make for them now will impact them forever.  We don't have crystal balls to predict the future.  We don't know if our kids will move to Europe (where intact is the norm), or marry a partner from an intact culture.  If you leave him the way he was designed, he can alter things if he wants to when he is a consenting adult. 

When we learn more, we make better informed decisions.  The times are changing.  Thank you for approaching this issue with an open mind.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#12 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 AM

You probably got a lot of great answers... Here is my thought:

I live in Europe and most people here have never even heard of circs for anything other than religious reasons. When they bump into an American (like my dh) who was circed as a baby, they first don't believe it and then laugh. Chances are that your son will get to know people from maaany cultures (such is the world these days) and countries and very few of them circ. So, looking at this a bit more widely, circ is strange, no circ is normal in the world.

BTW, sometimes I read here about the chance of infections and such for non-circed boys. Always makes me laugh. No one circs here (Northern Europe) and the idea of that leading into an infection or other treouble is really bizarre to any man here.

mum4vr likes this.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#13 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 06:06 AM

I have three intact boys in a high circumcision rate area. I feel like it will be easy for me to explain why I left them intact. I also seriously doubt they will be the only intact boys around.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#14 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 06:31 AM

I'm not trying to take over this post, but I was just curious about the number of intact boys many of you are seeing. I live in Texas and used to work in day cares off and on- mostly with infants and toddlers. Hardly any boy I changed was intact. There's only one intact boy I can remember, and his dad was originally from France. The last time I worked in day care was 2007. Do you all think it has changed much in just the past few years?

#15 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs0410 View Post

I'm not trying to take over this post, but I was just curious about the number of intact boys many of you are seeing. I live in Texas and used to work in day cares off and on- mostly with infants and toddlers. Hardly any boy I changed was intact. There's only one intact boy I can remember, and his dad was originally from France. The last time I worked in day care was 2007. Do you all think it has changed much in just the past few years?

I don't mean to stereotype but in Texas, did you work with a Mexican/Latino population?  I was under the impression that the Latino culture did NOT circumcise (in general). 

In my area, the intact boys that I have seen tend to have mothers who looked outside the box of OB care, often using a midwife.  They also were educated on the benefits of breastfeeding and tended to nurse their babies well into the second year.  I think leaving a child intact is, for some, an issue of the parent(s) having good education.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#16 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 AM

DH is intact and all of his male cousins are circ'd. He *never* felt bad about being intact. We talked about it when ds was born, and dh expressed that he always cringed at the thought of anyone cutting off part of his penis and was entirely glad that his mother kept him intact, even when he knew he was the only one of the cousins who was.

#17 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Most of the moms of intact boys I have met here in Ohio are somehow associated with birth advocacy or ICAN, etc.

triciaohiomidwife likes this.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#18 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 10:54 AM

I think it really has changed. I look at my 4 year old intact son and think of his 5 "best friends"-- 3 are intact (gathered from the fact that their parents have told me after seeing anti circumcision pins on my purse or seeing the pics of me at the march on my facebook page). I am part of a local moms group that is not Ap centered and we had a thread on this not long ago and about 15 people answered the thread, 6 or 7 had intact sons. :)  a few more were planning on leaving intact but had girls or are planning for future.

Quote:

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#19 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post

Quote:

I don't mean to stereotype but in Texas, did you work with a Mexican/Latino population?  I was under the impression that the Latino culture did NOT circumcise (in general). 

In my area, the intact boys that I have seen tend to have mothers who looked outside the box of OB care, often using a midwife.  They also were educated on the benefits of breastfeeding and tended to nurse their babies well into the second year.  I think leaving a child intact is, for some, an issue of the parent(s) having good education.

No, most of them were white. Hardly any of the parents were the type to breastfeed toddlers (or breastfeed at all) or use a midwife. I think most of them were educated, or I assume they were since the day cares were pricey and in nice areas. They probably weren't educated about circumcision though. That's not something that students are normally taught in school. You usually have to do your own research.

#20 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 PM

His body his choice.

As far as worrying about if he will have poor self esteem due to looking different than others, ask yourself would you buy your daughter breast implants if she felt different in the locker room? would you perform surgery on your son if he felt bad because he was too tall/ short in comparison to his brothers? These cosmetic procedures do exist. Personally I would not perform any cosmetic surgery on a child.

Also my husband and his brothers were all left intact. The youngest chose to be circumcised as an adult. Now that he is planing his own family he is planing to leave his children intact.
Quote:

I've been to this forum a million times. I have two sons that were circumcised. I never gave it any thought back then...I started to before my DD was born and I was just thankful she was a girl and so I didn't have to think too much on it. Now I'm pregnant again and due this summer. I don't WANT to circ. I think it's unnecessary. I think the reasons people do it are ridiculous. I don't want to put my baby in danger for no reason. 

But. 

I'm still nervous. What if he grows up and ends up feeling bad about himself because his brothers are and he isn't? How do I -know- that I can instill that confidence in him to be happy with himself and to not let what others say bother him. Around here the circ rate is near 100% and I just worry, I guess. 

Can anybody help me feel more confident? I still wouldn't do it but I just wish I could feel HAPPY about it instead of nervous. (As silly as it sounds.) 

#21 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM

my four brother were all intact. so were my three boy cousins.  and no one ever gave them a hard time. we grew up in middle class american suburb  - and nobody cared. 

#22 of 40 Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM

I also found a lot more men were intact than I thought.

Once we made the decision to keep our DS intact, I was startled by how many grown men confessed they were intact and pleased we had made the decision to keep our boy intact.

(*startled by both how many men were intact and how many felt compelled to share this fact with me orngbiggrin.gif )

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#23 of 40 Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 AM

I was circ'd, my younger brothers were not.

I am circ'd, my two sons are intact.

No issues, no locker room problems, no problems at all.

Adults think there will big issues for some reason.  Kids do not.  This particular difference is far overshadowed by the other things kids tease each other about.  As adults, there are shallow people for whom a foreskin is a show stopper.  Best to let them walk, if that is the depth of their thinking.

Regards

Brendalee likes this.
#24 of 40 Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 AM

I didn't read the rest of the replies, but here's food for thought: IF he hates being intact, if it causes him physical and emotional trouble,  he can get circ'd later. He will understand what is being done and will be able to get proper pain medication during and after the decision. Most importantly, it will be HIS choice.  If you get him circ'd now, and he hates it, if it causes him pain or heartache, he can't undo it later, and that choice will have been taken from him.

There's lots of good info here, good luck... and Congratulations on another baby!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#25 of 40 Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 AM

I totally understand how you feel.  I chose not to circ my son and my entire family and friends think I am NUTS.  I even had my MIL tell me my son was dirty and disgusting!  Not exactly what you want to hear about your newborn.  BUT I am following my gut instincts and my gut tells me that circ is wrong.  I am a little scared because we live in such a cosmetically altered world where image is EVERYTHING.  So, at times I've worried that my son will be made to feel bad about himself by some vapid Paris Hilton type about his un-circ'ed self.  

I always go back to the fact that every boy ever born was born incorrectly? (aka with foreskin?)  Surely, there is a reason for that little bit of skin and if so, why should I cut it off just because we've been trained to think a penis looks better without it?  Silly, isn't it!

Stay strong!  

#26 of 40 Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:

But. 

If he grows up and really wants to be circumcised, he can be. Whereas if you go the other route and cut him, and he grows up and decides he wishes he'd been left intact.. bar restoration  he's out of luck. I think it's always better to err on the side of caution and leave that choice up to him later.

#27 of 40 Old 12-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire and Boys View Post

Quote:

But. 

If he grows up and really wants to be circumcised, he can be. Whereas if you go the other route and cut him, and he grows up and decides he wishes he'd been left intact.. bar restoration  he's out of luck. I think it's always better to err on the side of caution and leave that choice up to him later.

i imagine a bigger problem could be that your circ'd boys grow up and ask why you inflicted it upon them but not on their brother.  why was he the special one?

#28 of 40 Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 AM

I am married to an intact man. I had no idea I was so lucky until I started my research, I then learnt what lube was for. I am so glad my husbands mother left him alone. My sister is very angry that her MIL's choice now effects her sex life.

My husband was a varsity football, basketball and track athlete in high school, we both just graduated college so this was rather recently. He never once had any issues, in fact I don't think anyone knew or cared one way or another. If someone did get a chance look, admitting to checking another guy out in the locker room would not be acceptable. I could ask my husband if the friends he played football with since 5th grade were circed or not or how big their penis's were and he would have no idea. He has no idea the status of his dad or brothers integrity.

In high school guys always thought us girls were running around topless in our locker room and were very disappointed that we all were not comparing boobs and showering together. I can honestly say I never saw my friends boobs in the locker room and they are at eye level. The whole locker room scenario is overblown. 

Chances are the issue will never come up. 

Brendalee likes this.
#29 of 40 Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post

i imagine a bigger problem could be that your circ'd boys grow up and ask why you inflicted it upon them but not on their brother.  why was he the special one?

That's the farthest concern from my mind.

Thank you for all the support ladies!!! You're the best. :)

#30 of 40 Old 01-19-2011, 04:47 AM

My husband says that he didn't know he was circ'd until he was 11 years old, he knew other boys were different but put it down to the fact that no two people are identical in every way, so it didn't worry him.  But as he grew older, he realised that intact was better, and now is restoring what he has left.  As intact is becoming the most numerous state everywhere nowadays, even circ'd fathers have to accept that they have to leave their baby boys intact.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page