freaking out big time! I think doctor retracted! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OMG. My baby was crying, so I was consoling him. And then all of a sudden I look down and the pediatrician had my son's penis and I think she retracted it or partially did! I don't know which! I saw the tip was stretched. Does that mean that she retracted or partially? I am so disgusted that doctors don't know better. What happened to do no harm????????? Please calm my fears. My DS is 14 months old.

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
#2 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Was he crying before the possible retraction?  Did he react to the possible retraction?

If his skin has already seperated, then retraction does no harm.  But a doctor cannot tell this, so risks doing harm if he retracts, and there is no need to do it anyway.  But just as retracting can cause harm, it also may not.  So if your son didn't react to it, shows no sign of discomfort, then my guess is no harm was done.

My sons were retracted by doctors several times before I learned enough to know to stop it.  As far as I can tell, they suffered no harm.

Regards

#3 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Though the Dr shouldn't have tried retracting, and you have a right to be angry, you don't need to panic.

Usually damage from a single attempted retraction is very minor.  At this point you just need to keep an eye on it for signs of infection, which probably won't happen.  If he seems uncomfortable, put some diaper cream on it.

The reason we make such a fuss over it, is that there are risks of serious issues from doing it.  The major risk is paraphimosis (foreskin stuck in retracted position,) but that is an immediate occurrence, so if it doesn't happen while you are still in the exam then you don't need to worry about it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM

yeahthat.gif I would institute the no touching of the penis rule from here on out so that you dont have to worry about it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

I don't understand why all the pediatricians I've went to (3 of them in 14 months), every single one of them must touch his penis! I went to this pediatrician because my DS has a cold. He was crying before the doctor touched his penis. And before I knew it, the doc had his diaper off and I saw that she had retracted (now that I think of it more, I definitely saw more of the glans). I am so upset with myself. I never thought that since I was there because of the cold, that she would in a single second have that diaper off. :(

Wife to DH (11/93) and mom to DS (11/09). gd.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifsigncirc1.gifsaynovax.gifslingboy.gif
#6 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlin View Post

I don't understand why all the pediatricians I've went to (3 of them in 14 months), every single one of them must touch his penis! I went to this pediatrician because my DS has a cold. He was crying before the doctor touched his penis. And before I knew it, the doc had his diaper off and I saw that she had retracted (now that I think of it more, I definitely saw more of the glans). I am so upset with myself. I never thought that since I was there because of the cold, that she would in a single second have that diaper off. :(

Wow, that's weird.  When I take DS to the pediatrician with a cold, we don't even take off his sweater.  She just slips it up half way to listen with her stethoscope.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM

It is so frustrating that we have to be so on guard. I have had similar experiences where I have taken ds in for an upper resp. infections and the Dr. looked under the diaper/underwear. I dont recall having the same issue with dd. But any time they go in that direction with ds after I had the second retraction attempt happen I stop them and tell them they can look but keep their hands off.

The reason I allow them to look is because I dont want them to think that I am trying to hide abuse of some kind or I wouldnt even allow that. But I do make it very clear I dont want his penis touched in any way.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

What words can I say to get my message across?

#9 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM

I just say "You can check his testicles but please dont touch his penis" then if they ask why or look confused I explain that I have had issues in the past with Dr's retracting him so I prefer it be left alone. I dont use the word retract because many Dr. dont see moving the foreskin back is retraction when in fact it is and can cause issues.

#10 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlin View Post

What words can I say to get my message across?

I've never had it come up, but I stay right up in the doctor's hair when they're examining my son.  If for no other reason then it's just to hold my child's hand.  If the doc starts to move toward the diaper I would ask "so, what are you doing now?"  If he said he wanted to check the foreskin I would say no.  Never forget that he works for you, so don't be afraid of him.

So how is your son doing now?

#11 of 11 Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Can you put your son in your lap and have the doctor check him like that? That way, if he's in your lap, all you have to do is slide your hand down real quick to protect his penis, if you feel the doctor is going down there to retract his foreskin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page