Ugh. New rash of pro-circ propaganda out today, now claiming it cuts HPV risk in female partners. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here is the gist:

"Our findings indicate that male circumcision should now be accepted as an efficacious intervention for reducing the prevalence and incidence of HPV infections in female partners. However, protection is only partial; the promotion of safe sex practices is also important," Dr. Maria Wawer and colleagues at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore wrote.

Wawer's team piggybacked the HPV study onto a larger study that has shown circumcised men are less likely to be infected with the human immunodeficiency virus that causes AIDS.

"Male circumcision has now been shown to decrease HIV, herpes simplex virus-2, and HPV infections and genital ulcer disease in men, and also HPV infection, trichomoniasis, and bacterial vaginosis and genital ulcer disease in their female partners," Wawer's team wrote.

banghead.gif

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

its so frustrating because i know that the "feminists" would FREAK out if the sexes were reversed!

#3 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a joke. I contracted HPV from a circumcised partner. I recall my GYN telling me something like 50% or more of the population has HPV and doesn't even know it. So much for circumcision preventing it.

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

#4 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would never be convinced unless this same study played out with the same results in an intact country.

#5 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM

It does appear from the studies that ADULT AFRICAN male circumcision protects ADULT AFRICAN females from HIV and HPV transmission. Fine. I am happy to concede the point.

Get back to me when you run trials on Western countries with their outstanding (compared to African nations) access to birth control and preventive medicine. Where woman have many more rights then their African counterparts when it comes to choosing sexual partners and choosing the age in which they become sexually active.

And leave it up to our sons when they are of age if they feel circumcision makes sex for their partners safer. Why recommend infant circumcision for sexual activity that could be decades away?

That is what makes me so mad.

raelize likes this.
#6 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 AM

So annoying.... They keep pushing with all their might. How come that Europeans don't circ then when it is soooooo great?! I wonder what they come up with next.... Circs prevents.... maybe whooping cough?

#7 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Rolling my eyes, too. Given the news this week, maybe circ will be "credited" with preventing autism!!! argh

#8 of 16 Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 AM

I don't know. I think autism and Alzheimer Disease have been rising ever since we started circumcising...

It's all silly. Of course we don't need to amputate to reduce diseases. shake.gif

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#9 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 11:44 AM

Well damn. Too bad my body didn't get the memo that it wasn't supposed to get HPV from my last circumcised partner. Or that my sister got it from her circumcised partner. Simply amazing.

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif
#10 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM

I think I can sum up this study and the HIV studies in one sentence:  Look at the all diseases circumcision prevents!!!  *cough* with condom use *cough cough*

9/2011 items decluttered
#11 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 12:49 PM

That's not sense. I don't want to have stuffy nose, dons't mean I want amputate my nose...

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#12 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabchi View Post

That's not sense. I don't want to have stuffy nose, dons't mean I want amputate my nose...

No, but maybe if you amputate part of your partner's penis... eyesroll.gif

Alot of these diseases that circumcision prevents is just as easily prevented by abstinence, being more picky about who your partners are, or using a condom.  Makes no sense.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#13 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 02:47 PM

Dr. Wawer does her research in Africa (mostly Uganda). She does good work and her findings may be applicable there. But that doesn't make them useful or accurate in the US where condoms and modern health care are available.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#14 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry double post.

#15 of 16 Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlier View Post

I think I can sum up this study and the HIV studies in one sentence:  Look at the all diseases circumcision prevents!!!  *cough* with condom use *cough cough*

lol thumb.gif

#16 of 16 Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktreemama View Post

It does appear from the studies that ADULT AFRICAN male circumcision protects ADULT AFRICAN females from HIV and HPV transmission. Fine. I am happy to concede the point.

Get back to me when you run trials on Western countries with their outstanding (compared to African nations) access to birth control and preventive medicine. Where woman have many more rights then their African counterparts when it comes to choosing sexual partners and choosing the age in which they become sexually active.

And leave it up to our sons when they are of age if they feel circumcision makes sex for their partners safer. Why recommend infant circumcision for sexual activity that could be decades away?

That is what makes me so mad.

Actually, from what I've read the African trials show that circumcision protects Adult African MALES from HIV. But Adult African Females with circumcised partners were at INCREASED risk of contracting HIV. Basically, if a man is at lower risk of catching HIV from his female partner when circumcised, but that if he is HIV positive, he is significantly more likely to infect his female partners. This study showed that some what http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2809%2960998-3/fulltext
I know I've seen it elsewhere as well, but for some reason this information is being largely ignored.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page