CNA retracted son :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday I had to take my 3 1/2 month old intact son to urgent care. I suspected he might have a urinary tract infection because he had been fussy, had a lowgrade fever and I saw an orange spot in the diaper that looked like it could be diluted blood. The certified nursing assistant said we needed a "clean catch" urine sample and she had to clean him thoroughly before putting on the plastic bag.

I said, "Just don't retract him. You're not supposed to retract him."

I watched her really carefully and anytime she got near the penis with the wipe I said, "You're not going to retract him right?" And she just ignored me. I really should have been more forceful but it had been a horrible week with my own health problems and the one year anniversary of my dad's death and I was really anxious and unsure of myself. That's no excuse for not slapping her hand away but it happened so fast!

Anyway, there was a tiny bit if diaper cream at the opening of his penis and she retracted it to wipe the cream.

I was soo mad and said again, "I told you not to retract him." And she said, "It was just a tiny bit, I had to get him clean."

My little one didn't cry at all and his penis looks normal today (no swelling or redness that I can see.)

But I'm so mad. Should I find out who her supervisor is and write a letter? I see that there's a lawyer willing to write a letter but that looked like it was just for doctors and nurses. CNAs aren't even nurses right? Though I assume they must be licensed by the state board.

This was the urgent care clinic since it was a Saturday.

I feel like such a bad mommy. I should have educated myself more. I knew enough to tell her not to retract his penis but I got confused because I know from my own UTIs that they do need a clean catch. But what I should have done is just wiped the cream away myself because I could have easily done it without retracting him.

He's going to be ok right? :(

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#2 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 07:11 AM

CNAs are licensed but you are correct that they are not nurses, they are nurse aides.

I would absolutely write a letter. You told her not to retract, more than once, and she completely ignored you. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a urine catch can be done without retracting.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#3 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would tell her supervisor. It's not just a CNA thing-they are nurse assistants but have much of the same training as RNs (at least here). I've heard of nurses and doctors doing it, too, so you should bring it to the attention of the supervisor.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM

I would do both: write a letter and tell her superviser. This ignorance will not stop unless we--parents--will make an effort to stop it.

#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM

Your little guy will be fine. Though what she did by not listening to you was very wrong. I would write a letter of complaint for sure. Hope your ds feels better.

The orange spot is what is called brick dust it is caused by dehydration. When ds was a few days old he had that and when I called the ped. and asked about it they blamed it on his foreskin and said he might need circed headscratch.gif: I then took him in for his 3 day check up with the MW and she saw it in his diaper and told me what it was. My milk hadnt came in yet so he was a bit dehydrated. The fever could have caused him to not nurse as much leading to the brick dust.
Brendalee likes this.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas.

I called and talked to the Clinic Director. She told me they have a whole process for patient complaints. It's a huge organization so they have a Patient Complaint department (like customer service). She said the CNA would be talked to and a note would be placed in her file. She also said that the Medical Director would get a copy of the complaint. But maybe I should write a letter too.

MCatlovermom-thanks for the information about the "brick dust." I've never heard of that. DS had had green, liquidly, smelly poop for a few days and didn't seem to be eating as much. He probably WAS dehydrated. Why don't doctors know about this stuff? Soo frustrating.

Mom to DD (3), my little peanut (9/10/09) and our newest addition 9/16/10
#7 of 7 Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm sorry to hear the CNA didn't listen to you when you told her not to retract your son. I agree with other posters I would complain. She needs to know that not listen you your wishes as his mother was wrong!! My son had "brick dust" when he was 2-4 days old since my milk had not fully come in.. so I would say the small spot you say was just brick dust from him being dehydrated. Hope he is feeling better now! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page