more problems with my intact baby... help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so, a few days ago i posted about my 7 month old's uti, and avoiding circumcision (thank you so much for the help and support!!).  well, we're having more troubles now and i don't know what to do.  he's on a pretty harsh antibiotic (omnicef) and he started with a yeasty looking rash last night.  we've been giving him probiotics... now his penis is red and swollen.  is this a yeast infection??  what can we do for it?  i let him sit in an epsom salt bath twice today.  i'd really appreciate some advice on what to do next. :(

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Can you ask if there is another antibiotic they can give him?  My DD got a horrible rash from omnicef...and diarrhea which made the rash worse.  I finally took her in where she was diagnosed with a yeast rash, prescribed nystatin, and a different antibiotic.  Hugs...I know it's a miserable time :(

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

Old 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-Mama View Post

Can you ask if there is another antibiotic they can give him?  My DD got a horrible rash from omnicef...and diarrhea which made the rash worse.  I finally took her in where she was diagnosed with a yeast rash, prescribed nystatin, and a different antibiotic.  Hugs...I know it's a miserable time :(

thats what I would do too.

grouphug.gif don't worry circ would not prevent UTIs or reactions from antibiotics. It is hard when drs are against you. I hope you found a new one

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 01-25-2011, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure epsom salt baths will do much good for a yeast infection.  When my son had one we bought some Monistat (or whatever OTC yeast cream you can find) and just covered his penis with it at each diaper change and put a big blog on the tip of his foreskin (no retraction) before closing up his diaper.  It took about 10 days to clear it up but it worked like a charm.

We also tried to do a bit of diaper free time.  He got his yeast infection from wearing swim diapers during the summer.

If an OTC cream doesn't help ask your doc for a prescription cream. 

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 PM

I would about bet he has a yeast infection from the abx. greensad.gif I would get some nystatin and ask the Dr. about a new abx.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Are you sure its a yeast rash and not an allergic reaction to the antibiotics?  If it's yeast it will be fairly localized and bumpy.  If it's allergic it will be more general and flat.

If it is yeast, I second the suggestion for Monistat.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List