Question about tight foreskin and potential catheter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two intact boys, and my second, who is now eight months, has a very tight, very long foreskin. There is NO WAY anyone could 'visualize' the urethra, let alone stick a catheter in it. However, he MAY need surgery on his lung (if the CCAM is too big). I am concerned that catheterization may be part of the surgery/week long recovery and wonder if anyone has experience with this situation. My two sons' foreskins are SO VERY different, and I was also wondering about people's long-term experience with a foreskin that is so small that the opening is really no more than a little slit. Any help would be appreciated!

#2 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 04:15 PM

Both my boys have a fairly long foreskin. So much so that there is no hole that I can see at all. But they pee. So I know that it opens up, I've seen it when they were still in diapers and pee'd on themselves with it off. The foreskin has a sphincter which keeps it closed and will relax when they pee. You will want to make sure a nicu nurse is one to put in a catheter. They are experienced with intact children as they are usually too fragile to circ if they are in the nicu.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM

I'm going to second the NICU nurse suggestion, and add that another option is a pediatric nurse trained in a non-circ country (most of Europe, Asia and South America.)  Around here there are many nurses who went to Irish nursing schools.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 PM

I to would insist on a NICU nurse and I would make it clear that if anyone retracted him you would file a complaint if not a lawsuit. Since they would probably place the cath. in the operating room you wouldnt be able to be there to watch to make sure he wasnt hurt so you really need to be aggressive in letting them know that you are serious about him not being retracted.

I hope your ds dosnt need surgery so you wont have to worry about it hug.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 PM

they tried to put a catheter in my ds2 when he was about 5 weeks old casue they wanted a sterile sample. they were very surprised that i wouldn't leave my son while they were doing it. they ended up giving up becasue he had a tight foreskin. I was standing over ds2 very mama bear ish so i think i was intmidating them a bit but i wasn't going to let them damage my son. ( our hosptial visit was a big hassle and I drove the nurses nuts casue i refused to leave my sons side for any reason. and if i had to go to the bathroom i locked our door--had a private room)

I hope things work out. I would make sure whoever is going to put one in your son has experince and knows what they are doing

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM

I'd question the need for a catheter at all.  I guess I could see if they wanted to keep track of urine output, but they could weigh diapers to do that.  Or are they concerned with anesthesia causing problems with ability to urinate.

#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral123 View Post

I'd question the need for a catheter at all.  I guess I could see if they wanted to keep track of urine output, but they could weigh diapers to do that.  Or are they concerned with anesthesia causing problems with ability to urinate.

Yeah, they could weigh diapers or place a bag.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page