Third son, first intact infection....advice please!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have three intact sons.  This is the first time that I have been a bit alarmed at diaper changing time, and DON'T want to go to a doctor if it can be avoided.

My son is 18 mths old, and his penis is red and swollen.  The swollen part is coming from the middle of his penis, the left side.  I was feeling and looking and he was visibly upset and did not want me to touch him.  We have had a stomach bug and he did have a diaper rash from using the bathroom so much.  He had been crying and saying "ow" but I thought it was from a tummy ache or needing to go to the bathroom.  It definitely is internal (not a skin infection).

Anyone have advice for how to treat this without going to a doctor?  He already is taking vit c and probiotics each day.  In comparison with my other sons, his skin is looser with the head of his penis being visible at times when he is exploring....is it possible something has gotten in there and caused an infection...if so how to treat????

Thanks!!!!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 08:11 AM

It sounds like either separation swelling/pain or yeast.

Sometimes when the foreskin comes loose there is swelling and pain. My son had this around the same age as your son. He also had a huge glob of smegma come out too. What I did was dissolve baking soda in the tub and let him soak in it once a day for about 3 days and I also let him run around diaper free during the day. It cleared up within a week. Also, the more they play with it, the more chances there are of this happening. Not that it's a bad thing though, it is a normal thing! It can certainly be alarming though. Whatever you do, don't put soap on it, that will just make it worse.

Is his diaper rash cleared up on his bottom? Does he say it hurts when he pees?

I'm sure some other mamas will have advice too.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#3 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

His diaper rash is cleared...

I am not sure if it is hurting when he pees.  I am paying attention today since I know now that he is saying ow for his penis and not his tummy. 

He is also running a low grade fever and very fussy....it is all starting to piece together...hoping it heals quick!!!  It makes me :( to see him unhappy.  I will do the baking soda tonight for sure!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#4 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I just went to the health food store, and no one there had any ideas to help with pain or discomfort.  He doesn't even want me to hold him on my hip...any ideas?????

#5 of 7 Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM

You can use OTC bacatracin on his penis. Here is a thread you may find helpful in determining if he needs abx or not http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=764732

My own personal opinion is that he should be seen to get abx because the issue started after him being sick and having nasty diapers. That tells me that he probably has a bacterial infection going on because of the contamination from the poo. If you do take him in be sure to not allow retraction I wouldnt even let the Dr. touch his penis. When I took ds in I told the Dr. he couldnt touch it but I moved the whole penis around (not the foreskin) so he could see the bottom but I wasnt about to risk him trying to retract ds and him already in so much pain.

They can do a simple swab of the tip of the foreskin and see what if anything grows so they can treat it appropriately.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!

#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 AM

How is he doing today? Any change?

jsave likes this.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page