blood in son's urine.... need quick response!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has blood in his urine.  And I'm waiting to hear back from the doc on when we can go to get a urinalysis.  We love his doc, who has never even touched DS's penis.  But last time he had to give a urine sample with the bag (after surgery when he had had a catheter for 24 hours), the nurse retracted him just far enough to dab the tip of his glans with an alcohol wipe)... I want to avoid any retraction, and I'm not sure who we're gonna get to do this.

So, my plan is to go in there and say "Do not retract or pull his foreskin back in any way."  And when they respond that they have to do that to get the urine sample... then what do I say?  What if they want to get the sample by catheter and they want to retract him?  Exactly what words do I use with them when they argue with me about needing to retract him?

I need to feel armed and ready, mamas!

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#2 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

say no again, and tell them that you will get the sample, without retraction.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

that I will get the sample?  While he's potty trained, he won't pee on command... so when I tell them that I will get the sample without retraction... then what?  I'm sorry if this sounds really stupid... I don't want to say "I will get the sample" and then all of us just standing there while I look like a fool not knowing how to get a sample after I just said I would.  Again, I probably sound like an idiot typing this... but I'd rather sound like an idiot on a (relatively) anonymous message board than right there in front of people IRL....

#4 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM

My son had to have a cath to get a urine sample, and I threw a fit (well, a very polite fit).  I talked to the nurse who was going to do it, and made very clear to her that she was not to retract him.  What we compromised on was that she could move the foreskin just barely enough to see the urethra to do the cath, but absolutely no further.  Moving it to visualize the urethra, as far as I know, won't cause any damage.  And then I stood VERY close and watched VERY carefully - she did as I asked, and there was no harm done.

They also tried, but it didn't work, having ds stand up, and tapping on his bladder rythmically (I think the reason it didn't work was b/c ds was dehydrated - otherwise he would have gone), so you could ask that they try that too.  They were going to try and catch it - which would have been pretty funny to see!

#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

It really turned out all right... Doc sent us to a lab b/c it was after hours... didn't want to wait till tomorrow b/c we're expecting 10" of snow in the next 24 hours (on top of the nearly 20 we got last week).  So I was mostly worried b/c who knows what you're going to get at a lab...kwim?

well we got there, and they hadn't received the order, yet.  But then all of a sudden DS said he had to pee, so she grabbed us a cup and we all hustled into the bathroom.  She didn't even take time to give us an alcohol wipe or explain procedures.  They were written on the wall and did say to retract... but she wasn't in there and we didn't do it (obviously).  So the whole issue never even came up

And they all lived happily ever after :)

PatioGardener and AnnieNimIty like this.

#6 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 PM

Glad you got him to pee in a cup.  For future reference, alcohol swabs don't belong on genitals.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM

yeahthat.gif just the thought of alcohol anywhere near my genitals is making me want to run screaming cold.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

yeahthat.gif just the thought of alcohol anywhere near my genitals is making me want to run screaming cold.gif

It probably wasn't an alcohol swab, but you know when you get a UTI they have you use a wipe to clean up so that the sample isn't contaminated?  It's not alcohol, its something else but I don't know what.

Anyway OP - I'm glad it worked out!!

#9 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Yeah I know they are like wet wipes.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#10 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Yeah I know they are like wet wipes.

Towelettes impregnated with castile soap, in my experience.

#11 of 11 Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Quote:

It probably wasn't an alcohol swab, but you know when you get a UTI they have you use a wipe to clean up so that the sample isn't contaminated?  It's not alcohol, its something else but I don't know what.

Anyway OP - I'm glad it worked out!!

that's what I meant... I just used the word alcohol for lack of knowing what's really in them....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page