One more poll- Foreskin 'non-issues' - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many issue-free intact boys and men are out there, & how many have had iatrogenic or natural iss
No issues whatsoever with intact children or self (ages in post please) 88 100.00%
Minor issues easily resolved (please explain in post)- such as a family member or caregiver prematurely retracting with no lasting harm (please explain in post) 4 66.67%
More serious problems (please explain in post)- such as premature retraction causing more lasting issues 0 0%
Problems that a medical professional was consulted to resolve (please explain in post) 0 0%
Problems that were 'resolved' by circumcision when unnecessary but through ignorance were handled with the most drastic surgical intervention 1 16.67%
Problems that were resolved by circumcision that was necessary (cancer, gangrene, possible hypospadias repair) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS 21 months, so far so good! We've had two docs, and neither has tried to retract at all. MIL may have tried to retract during a bath at her house once, but didn't actually retract or do any damage, and when she admitted later that she was unsure of "how to clean", we just educated her on not needing to do anything special with it.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM

10 months, no problems

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

Old 02-14-2011, 01:56 AM

Almost 8yr old DS and 37yr old DH - no problems.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM

No issues in 11 months. And a shout-out for DH for making the mental adjustment to having an intact son. It's wasn't his first choice, but he really came around.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ash is absolutely correct - the problems are doctor induced.  When DS was born in '81, there was no internet and not much information in print, but I was adamant that he remain intact. Our doctor told us to gently retract at each bath. This we did (how could we have known any different? all the baby books stated that a boy should be retractable by 3 or latest 5).  By age 1 his meatus was visible. By 5 he was about half way retractable with the synecchia still bonding his foreskin to the glans, and by 7 this had released back to about the coronal rim. We had him do it himself as soon as he was old enough and there was never any discomfort or reluctance on his part.  However, one night he got a couple of little slits in his foreskin that stung and made him cry. We asked the Dr (different one - from Ireland) about it and he said just leave it alone and don't retract any more.  All was well until age 11 when he went for a pee in the middle of the night and yelled for me. It was obviously painful and he was letting the pee out very slowly. The next day at the clinic he was diagnosed with posthitis - infection/inflamation of the foreskin. Antibiotics cleared it up in a day. Unfortunately the clinic doctor discovered that his foreskin was no longer retractable and was tight like a newborn's again and made an appointment with a urologist. I suspected that this would be bad and had 5 months to try and find information to counter what I (rightly)  suspected was comming. Sure enough the urologist was an arrogant basket and said that my son must be circumcised. He did not offer any other option whatsoever. I argued until he got up and left the room. I refused to go back, but sadly DW felt that the problem was real and eventualy took him in for a circumcision.  What really fries me was that since gaining internet access I have learned an awful lot, and even back then there had been papers published about the use of Betamethasone cream, and I think, even preputioplasty. Why was the urologist ignorant of less invasive options, if indeed anything needed to be done at all.  In retrospect , I believe we should have just left DS alone.

The guilt has not diminished.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

He's 5.5 yrs and no issues! Best decision I ever made in my life.

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM

Each boy, 11 and 15 years, have had a couple minor irritations when they were little, I probably shouldn't even have counted it as a problem.  They were cleared up with a couple soaks in the tub.

Both dd's, 9 and 13 also had a couple genital irritations that cleared up after a soak in the tub.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ds ia almost 3. No issues thus far and hoping there will be none!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM

Husband 66 years old, never had a problem.

Ex-husband 50 years old, never had a problem.

Sons 23 & 25 years old, never had a problem.

Grandsons 10 months, 3 years, and 9 years old, never had a problem.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM

I have a 32 year old husband, 3 1/2 year old son, a 4 year old nephew, and a 1 month old nephew. There have been no issues with foreskin in our family.

Rikki ~~ Married Aug 04 ~~ DD Feb 06 ~~ DS Oct 07 ~~ DD April 12

Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM

I have three boys (ages 9years, 5years, and 11months), all intact. joy.gif. The only time in 9 years that we've ever had a foreskin issue was when my eldest boy--about 15 months at the time--used the potty and slammed the toilet seat down on his penis! Yeowch!! Of course he cried and screamed.....and it bled. Seemed like it bled a lot, but as with head injuries (lol, no pun intended!), the bleeding was superficial. The area is so rich with blood vessels that it shouldn't have surprised me!

Anyway, a couple hours (and lots a mommy milk) later, and he was fine! :-). I'm so glad the foreskin was there, doing it's job of protecting the glans!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM

5 and 3 yr old boys, no issues at all!  None of my nephews either!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

5.5 and 3.5 no problems at all. 

i think it's really important to remember that males have evolved with foreskins.  it is a normal and essential part of the male genital anatomy.  it is there for many reasons.  most men worldwide have their foreskins and no problems whatsoever.  yes, occasionally, infections do occur, just as they occasionally occur in girls/women.  how many of you mamas have had a urinary tract infection and how was it treated?  the real problem is the US doctors that really have no clue as to how the foreskin functions and how valuable it is and how to treat any minor issues.  the male prepuce has literally been written out of medical textbooks in the last 75 years!  the only thing they know about foreskins is how to cut it off.

so there was this one time where ds was playing outside naked and got poked in the penis by a nasty weed.  his foreskin swelled/ballooned up, it looked awful!  called the doc, he asked if ds could pee normally, he could, so all was fine.  doc said the foreskin protected the glans in this case, if ds did not have his foreskin, the glans would have swollen up and that could have been bad.  yay evolution!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:37 PM

son 9months -no problems whatsoever.

husband 30years no problems whatsoever either.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM

According to doctorsopposingcircumcision.org circumcision is more harmful and has no benefits. Increases the rate of UTIS, STIS, HIV/AIDS with all its other risks.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:29 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Never had any issues at all. I've got 5 boys, ages 9.5, 6.5, 4, 3 and 2 months. All intact.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM

My boys are 2 and 4 and have never had a problem.  My 4yo tends to get patches of eczema on his penis and I'm so glad the foreskin is there to protect the glans from the breakouts.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM

I have two of each, and by far, my intact boys(3 and 6) have been much easier to care for than my circumcised boys(9 and 11).  We had my oldest done because it "was something that had to be done".  I was not prepared in any way for the raw, painful way my son looked for months.  I did not want to have my second son circ'd, but I was still completely uneducated about it, and did it anyway, against my gut.  He had adhesions, he also had a yeast infection that was so bad the glans was vbleeding.  I look back on that now and think how mych less painful that might haqve been if it was only on his foreskin.

My third son I started researching for ANYTHING that would keep me from having to do it again, and I am so glad I did.  I have never had a single problem with either one of them.  Even our VERY pro-circ ped doesn't retract.  Plus, my stomach doesn't turn with how painful and raw it looks with every diaper change.  You know, if even ONE hospital employee had given me ANY reason not to do it, I wouldn't have.  But it didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other.  It was "no big deal".  I'll have to live with that for the rest of my life.  My poor baby boys.  :(

Old 02-17-2011, 06:02 PM

No problems for DH (28) or my brothers (24 and 19) :)

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

No kidding, amirite? Who wants to match anybody by having part of their genitals sliced off! Yay for the truth!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 AM

4 intact sons who have never, ever had any problems! Their ages are 9, 7, 6, and 4 months. My 2 oldest sons and youngest son will be in DC with me next month for the Genital Integrity Rally! Saving babies one penis at a time! thumb.gif

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 AM

9 year old intact son. Never an issue. Most 'problems' in regards to foreskin are caused by forced retraction by a parent, caregiver or nurse/doctor. Only wash what is seen. Never retract the foreskin. Only the boy should do this, naturally, as he is able to. Many doctors will misdiagnose phimosis in children and either attempt to forcibly retract the foreskin causing damage to the glans and inner prepuce. Or worse, they will suggest circumcision. Phimosis cannot be diagnosed until adulthood. Even then, non surgical measures can take care of the issue. 

Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 AM

1 year old and no issues

Old 02-18-2011, 08:00 AM

6.5 years old with no issues whatsoever.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM

Four intact boys, 6.5, 5, 1 & 1 -- no issues, ever. Period. Perfect design, self-cleaning thumb.gif

Old 02-19-2011, 05:05 PM

4 month old, no problems.

User Tag List