Anyone know what Dr Sears Baby book says about circumcision? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking of giving it to a casual friend who is pregnant with her first, and I remember hearing that it was sort of wishy washy about the subject. If it is, does anyone have a recommendation? Something I could give in addition to it or instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM

I have the 1993 edition. I don't know if/how it has been updated. I think it's a wonderful book, the illustrations and index are great as well as chapters on baby development and milestones. Overall I give the book an A+ . The section on circumcision is 3 pages long... that alone makes the book in the top runners- simply for mentioning when many books skip over. As an intactivist I rate the info a B- or C. Some ideas, such as introducing a very early age for avg. Retraction... is problematic. Also there is NO info on foreskin function other than suggesting it's protective. Does suggest circ for matching others is bad reason and says circ rate is dropping.
You can purchase the Fleiss articles reprinted from mothering and I think they would be a good compliment to the Sears book.
Peggy Omara's Natural Family Living is even better on the circumcision front, but may be too crunchy for a more mainstream friend.
#3 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM

I have the 1993 edition. I don't know if/how it has been updated. I think it's a wonderful book, the illustrations and index are great as well as chapters on baby development and milestones. Overall I give the book an A+ . The section on circumcision is 3 pages long... that alone makes the book in the top runners- simply for mentioning when many books skip over. As an intactivist I rate the info a B- or C. Some ideas, such as introducing a very early age for avg. Retraction... is problematic. Also there is NO info on foreskin function other than suggesting it's protective. Does suggest circ for matching others is bad reason and says circ rate is dropping.
You can purchase the Fleiss articles reprinted from mothering and I think they would be a good compliment to the Sears book.
Peggy Omara's Natural Family Living is even better on the circumcision front, but may be too crunchy for a more mainstream friend.
#4 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM

The 2003 version still says that they should be retractable by 3 years old.  I bought the book for my sister.  I plan on sending a Saving Penises info pack to her as well.

http://www.savingpenises.org/our-information-packs.html

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

thanks!

#6 of 12 Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I have the 2003 edition, and this is what it says, almost word-for-word (there are a few sentences in one version not in the other):

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t101500.asp

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#7 of 12 Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 PM

I often will give "The Baby Book" to new moms if they are already heavily leaning "mainstream" along with a copy of the SP/pp info pack - http://www.savingpenises.org/our-information-packs.html because TBB alone is too wishy-washy and contains no solid advice on the care of the intact infant.

A couple books that address circumcision much more in depth are "Gentle Birth Choices" "Natural Family Living". I'd also second the recommendation for "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Circumcision." http://astore.amazon.com/peacefparent-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=2 I give this book as well to all close friends/relatives expecting a baby boy or those who do not know what they are having. Typically, the info pack alone is enough to provide parents with the resources they need to keep their son intact - there is no way to read all 8 articles and watch all 3 DVDs and still be in the dark on common myths surrounding circumcision. But I include Fleiss & Hodges book if the parents need *extra* information...

A few other books I include in my new-mom gift pack are:

"The Baby Bond" http://astore.amazon.com/peacefparent-20/detail/1402226578

"Breastfeeding Made Simple" http://astore.amazon.com/peacefparent-20/detail/1572248610

"The No-Cry Sleep Solution" http://astore.amazon.com/peacefparent-20/detail/0071381392

This way, I figure we have most of our bases covered. ;)

#8 of 12 Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

LOL!  I never heard of a "saving penises" pack before!  That's cute!  I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to send it to anyone.  I'm rather pessimistic about sending anything to anybody unless I'm specifically asked. I've just never had any luck when I send books/info that wasn't asked for.  I give people books they never read. I waste my time and money.   I feel sad and frustrated about it, but I've kinda given up on that whole thing.   I just found out my cousin is having a baby (we're not close...just see her at the occasional family thing) and of course, I want to take her aside and say "have you thought about circumcision?   I can give you many reasons why you shouldn't do it!  My son is intact.......yadda yadda yadda....." but I never will.  I absolutely know she would just look at me like I have three heads and talk about me after I leave, getting a good laugh over the whole thing.   Once I sent a good friend of mine who had just gotten married information on the harm of using artificial birth control in a christian marriage.....I explained about NFP, etc.....she never talked to me again.......she things I'm weird, I'm sure.   I just give up..  I'll keep my opinions to myself. Peole can do what they want.

:
#9 of 12 Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM

What I like about the Saving Penises packs is that you can send them anonymously. You just have to give the other persons address.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#10 of 12 Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post

What I like about the Saving Penises packs is that you can send them anonymously. You just have to give the other persons address.

I like that idea! Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone that I'd send it to, who wouldn't immediately know it was me! lol.gif

#11 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfTheMeadow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post

I like that idea! Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone that I'd send it to, who wouldn't immediately know it was me! lol.gif

That's exactly what I thought. lol.gif

#12 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM

You'd probably be out of state, though, imagine their puzzlement trying to figure it out(-;

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page