Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

bump!

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I saw this in Babytalk magazine too. 33%!!!

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#4 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treece View Post

I saw this in Babytalk magazine too. 33%!!!

Was there a nocirc ad in the mag- or did they have an article??  Just curious because BabyTalk has been pretty foreskin ignorant in the past.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks for posting!  I will be printing it out!

#6 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

Quote:

Was there a nocirc ad in the mag- or did they have an article??  Just curious because BabyTalk has been pretty foreskin ignorant in the past.

Jessica

It's in the Feb 2011 copy on page 12, in VERY big print on the page "Cravings". It says "33% of baby boys were circumcised in 2009--down from 56 percent in 2006, due partly to insurers no longer covering the procedure once the AAP took a neutral stance on its necessity." That's it. BUT it's there!!!

jessjgh1 likes this.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

#7 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Is that percentage really accurate though? I was under the impression that those are hospital statistics.. the %age of baby boys circumcised before hospital discharge. I know far too many people who had their boys circed a few days to a couple weeks after discharge, at the dr's office :( (because many hospitals don't offer RIC anymore) Are they included in the statistics? Hate to be pessimistic...

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Is that percentage really accurate though? I was under the impression that those are hospital statistics.. the %age of baby boys circumcised before hospital discharge. I know far too many people who had their boys circed a few days to a couple weeks after discharge, at the dr's office :( (because many hospitals don't offer RIC anymore) Are they included in the statistics? Hate to be pessimistic...

Yes, I've been wondering about this for some time. My state's circ rate is now 25%, and some hospitals don't do routine infant circ at all. But I've noticed at least two local pediatric practices that advertise circ on their websites as an office procedure - no hospitalization needed (I bet no anesthesia either...). I wonder if they are included in the stats since those boys are technically intact upon hospital discharge.

Home births may also skew the stats by falling through the cracks, since they were never in the hospital at all. But home birthers are probably a small enough number that they are not statistically significant.

I doubt Jewish mohels report their numbers to any state agency. Many people who circ for religious reasons have it done outside the hospital setting.
#9 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Those numbers are probably hospital stats. I bet there isn't anyone keeping track of the post-discharge circs. BUT this is a mainstream magazine and it will affect the rates, and it does state that insurers are starting to refuse to pay, I bet that is regardless of location.

#10 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythe View Post

Home births may also skew the stats by falling through the cracks, since they were never in the hospital at all. But home birthers are probably a small enough number that they are not statistically significant.

I just want to point out that not all home birthers leave their boys intact. In my local home birth group, about half the boys were circed. :-(

But you are right, I doubt even if all home birthed babies were left intact that it's a large enough group to change the statistics.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#11 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 AM

I think the "real" rate is probably more like 50/50 and that 33% is just in-hospital and covered by insurance, but at least we can say that it is dropping!

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#12 of 12 Old 02-28-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you Treece on the post discharge circs. I wonder what those numbers really are exactly. Several hospitals wont do them while in hospital post birth as a common policy. I think it's a good one to have though however, because the less... engaged... parents are less likely to follow through if they have to do it on their own.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page