Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Minkajane, that is so fabulous to know!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#32 of 52 Old 03-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My mom had three sons, all circumcised.  She didn't have a choice or didn't know she had a choice; she never saw them intact :(

My mom has 15 grandkids, 7 of which are boys, three of which are intact (that I know of; the other two are late teens and I didn't ask :o ).  One brother circ'd his first but their second and third boys are intact.  

My IL's had four sons; all circumcised except for their preemie which didn't make it.  

They have three grandkids, one of which is a boy, and he is intact.  They have a grandbaby on the way (yay!) and I'm sure if it's a boy he will be circ'd. :(

CPST & mom

#33 of 52 Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

I was at a family gathering (Midwest) last summer.  After swimming, the kids were naked on the beach.  My cousin's 4 YO streaked by and I got a peek.  I could not tell if he was circced or not.  He seemed...  in between.  I asked cousin's sister (also my cousin) if the kid was circced and she said that there was a problem with the circ and so he has significant scar tissue on his penis, and he will need some kind of reconstructive surgery when he is older.  I said that's a lot of bother for a penis that was just fine to begin with.  She said that not circcing was not even considered as an option.  She did not even consider his botched circ as avoidable - because OF COURSE you circ your kid.  

So I have not polled my family, but I'm pretty sure DS is the first and only non circced person in our family. 

In my area, I'd say is about half and half.  

#34 of 52 Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM

I only have one nephew on my, DH has 3 nephews. All cut :(

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#35 of 52 Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 PM

We have very few boys in my circle of family and friends, the ones we do have are sadly circ'd. Although I know that if my BFF had had boys they would have been intact since her dh is and they are both pro intact, but they only had girls. I don't have any sons, but they would be intact if I did.

#36 of 52 Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM

I always feel a little weird talking about this because it seems so personal to discuss the details of family members' penises! (Penii?)

My DH is intact, as is our son. (DH's brothers and dad are also intact. FIL was born in an area of the country where there were many Scandinavian immigrants and this was normal there.) SIL and BIL's son is intact. My brother's beautiful son, who died of a terrible brain cancer almost 4 years ago, was also intact - although my brother was circumcised, he and his wife did the research and chose to leave darling nephew intact without input from me. I was so happy about that decision.

#37 of 52 Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no idea. But when I do mention leaving my son intact, I get treated like I have 5 heads. And why would I do such a horrible thing. Then again, that is how they act about the extended nursing, having a child in a car seat past 2 yrs old, and home schooling. So I am used to it by now.

#38 of 52 Old 03-24-2011, 04:25 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son is the only one out of the whole family that isn't circ'd. We're the "odd" ones.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#39 of 52 Old 03-29-2011, 02:47 PM

My husband and both his brothers are circ'd--my MIL told me to just do it because it's just "easier". My father was circ'd and I'm sure his brother was, also. My brother and DH's nephew are both circ'd, as is my cousin...

I'm pretty sure our son is the only intact boy in our family. It's just something that's routinely done here. greensad.gif

Edit: I'd actually never seen an intact penis in person until our son was born! Crazy.....

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

#40 of 52 Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm not sure about my dad (I'd guess so), my brother is, DH is. Both our boys are intact. We didn't have any real discussion about it... for DS1, the staff never mentioned it in the hospital and I didn't know much about it at the time so I left the decision up to DH under the "he has one, he can make the decision" line of thought. DH came to me a few days later and said "there's really no reason for him to be circumcised, is there?" I said nope and that was that. With DS2 we didn't even bother to discuss it.

Edit: I talked to my mom about it and the prevailing attitudes at the time my brother had it done were that it was better to be circed for hygiene, etc. While she didn't say so, I'm guessing that she probably wouldn't have it done today.

geek.gif wife to geek.gif DH, mum to DS1 (11/08) blahblah.gif  and DS2 (03/11) drool.gif
#41 of 52 Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM

I am sad to say that out of the 8 males in our family that I know their status, only our son is intact. 2 of the adults that I know of were circumcised as adults for medical reasons, and based on the info I have learned here, most likely for unnecessary reasons. My nephew was circumcised last month.

Of the momma friends with sons that I have had over the last 7 years, I think all of them were intact. Many of the boys live in the Midwest. (Just saying for the PP that thinks she's alone. winky.gif)

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#42 of 52 Old 04-02-2011, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

As far as I know, my entire family is intact, except for one cousin who was circumcised because his mother (my aunt) wanted to "keep the peace" with her husband. (They are now divorced, of course.) 

My DH is circumcised and I would assume his brother (and probably father) is as well. I was talking to his brother's wife this summer about the fact that DS is intact and how easy diaper changes are. They live in Alberta, the province with the highest circ rate. They have a daughter and are TTC#2. She told me that her brother and his 2 sons are circumcised but that if she has a boy, he will not be.

All of my friends, except for a few online ones (2 in particular that I tried to talk out of circumcision) have left their sons intact.

ETA: As for why, my grandmother recently told me that she couldn't imagine "cutting on" a baby, so she left her sons (my dad and his 2 brothers) intact. My brothers and my friends' sons were born in Nova Scotia, where circumcision is not offered in the hospitals. I was telling my mother recently that it not offered here anymore, and she said it wasn't offered when my brothers were born either (1980s) and then tried to imply that circumcision hasn't been practiced in the past 60 years--after all, even my father isn't circumcised! But that doesn't explain why my husband, who was also born in NS (in the 1970s) is.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#43 of 52 Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM

The only people I know in real life who are circumcised have either married into the family or were circed later in life for bogus medical reasons (circed at 6 for not being retractable yet).

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#44 of 52 Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM

My son is the only male in my family who is intact. My sister has told me that if she ever has a son, he will remain intact, but she has no children yet. All my cousins boys have been circ'd. :-(

#45 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 AM

Speaking of circle of friends...last night I happened to be at dinner with my dh and his male friends. Turns out 3 of the 5 men are intact, 1 circumcised and one unknown. Our circumcised friend would not circumcise his children. 

#46 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 04:34 AM

This is fascinating.  DH and his nephew are intact (the only males on that side of the family) and I'm an only child.  Of our close friends, no one circs.  I know a few people that we're not close to who do but most of our circle of friends do not. DH also has several friends who are intact.

What's funny is my grandmother commented that circing was "old fashioned" when we told her we weren't going to.  (this coming from a woman with a husband who was surely intact) dizzy.gif

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#47 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 AM

I find it fascinating that so many people know so much about the penises of people they aren't married to.

In my family, I know my DH is circ.  I wouldn't have a clue about his dad, he has no brothers or nephews on his side.

I have three girls, my sister has 2 boys, but I have only changed the diaper of one of them, he is circ.  The other, he's technically a stepson, and he came to our family potty trained, so no diapers to change.  No reason to really know, because no reason to discuss it with them.

My brother, don't know, again, no reason to ask him, or my mom.  My brother has one son, but I don't know because I haven't ever changed his diaper (don't know why though, he's the same age as my other young nephew...I guess I just haven't ever babysat him for long enough.) 

Among my friends, there are a few boys, but it's just not something we have ever discussed, so I just don't know.  Maybe it's because I have all girls?  Since I don't have a boy, it's not something that I have had a reason to bring up or discuss with anyone?  Is it really all that common to sit around discussing among parents of boys?

#48 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post

Among my friends, there are a few boys, but it's just not something we have ever discussed, so I just don't know.  Maybe it's because I have all girls?  Since I don't have a boy, it's not something that I have had a reason to bring up or discuss with anyone?  Is it really all that common to sit around discussing among parents of boys?

It is probably partly because you have all girls. I wouldn't say that I "sit around discussing" the topic. But, my mom mentioned that my brother is intact a long time ago, while we were talking about hospitals (she was under a great deal of pressure to formula feed on schedule and to circ, and refused to do any of that). She and I discussed it a few times after that, when discussing circ, in general. I don't actually know for a fact that my brother's two boys are intact (my SIL and I rarely talk about much of anything), but I seem to recall hearing it, and I can't imagine either my brother or my SIL allowing a circ to be done. I talk about almost anything with my sister, but I've also changed the diapers of all three of her boys, so I know their status. But, yeah - once you have a boy, the subject can come up in several different ways.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#49 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

It is probably partly because you have all girls. I wouldn't say that I "sit around discussing" the topic. But, my mom mentioned that my brother is intact a long time ago, while we were talking about hospitals (she was under a great deal of pressure to formula feed on schedule and to circ, and refused to do any of that). She and I discussed it a few times after that, when discussing circ, in general. I don't actually know for a fact that my brother's two boys are intact (my SIL and I rarely talk about much of anything), but I seem to recall hearing it, and I can't imagine either my brother or my SIL allowing a circ to be done. I talk about almost anything with my sister, but I've also changed the diapers of all three of her boys, so I know their status. But, yeah - once you have a boy, the subject can come up in several different ways.

Agreed.  I have never asked anyone if they're circed or have/will circ their kids (other than my sister), but friends have brought it up since we had our son.  I guess they wanted to share their "wrestling with the circ decision" stories with someone who's been through it.  shrug.gif

9/2011 items decluttered
#50 of 52 Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post

Quote:

Agreed.  I have never asked anyone if they're circed or have/will circ their kids (other than my sister), but friends have brought it up since we had our son.  I guess they wanted to share their "wrestling with the circ decision" stories with someone who's been through it.  shrug.gif

Lol 

I also have never ask someone "oh btw are you circumcised" or "will you circumcising your children."

I have shared the fact that I would not circumcise my children with some friends. They have in turn opened up to me. Sometimes it has been right away and other times they bring it up themselves months later. The only reason I know their statuses or if they would circumcise their children is because they volunteered the information.

Being open about the issue breaks down a lot of misconceptions. Including my own.

#51 of 52 Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM

Below age 30 there are 3 intact guys (including DS) and 4...soon to be 5 circumcised. Of those under 20, 3/4 are intact. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#52 of 52 Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I think it's fair to assume our son is the only one that's intact. No one's asked yet besides my fiance's parents and my parents; and we had the general, "You should. He'll get infections if you don't!", but none of my aunts and uncles or cousins have asked yet. If they do, we'll be open about it. But I just have a feeling he's the only intact one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page