After 2 yrs of retracting early, is it too late? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-24-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My sitter has been watching my intact 4.5mth old son for about 2 mths now.  I totally didn't even think about telling her about not retracting his foreskin in the beginning, so I finally emailed her about it.  I hadn't noticed any problems with DS, but I simply told her when changing his diaper not to retract it to clean it or anything, but just clean the outside.  She emailed me back saying she didn't know what I was meaning about him not being uncirc'ed, that James (her foster son) was too, and she would never pull back the skin without my consent.  Okay, good right?  But then she went on to say she does for James, but only because the doctor told her too!  James is 4.  She has had him for 2 years.  He is still in diapers, as he has down syndrome and other health complications.

When I mentioned that she should not being doing that, that it can take until puberty to retract on its own, and that it can be painful for him, she said that it should actually be done right away so its not painful later for him!  I'm guessing that's what the doctor told her.  Or would there be a reason she "needs" to retract him?

Okay, so if shes been doing this for 2 years now, is it too late for James?  Like is it still hurting him when she does it?  I haven't responded yet to her on this, as I don't want to rock the boat, but I don't want James in pain for no reason.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After that long if any damage was going to happen it already has. I would go into the resources here and print off the things about not retracting and take them to her. Explain to her how Dr's here in the USA are not up to date on intact care because it has been so long since intact has been the norm.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page