Your hospital experience- did they push circ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The hospital I had my son at last year, NEVER even asked if I wanted DS to be circed!

I was so worried that something would happen, and he would get circed accidentally, but I had nothing to worry about, as it wasn't even offered.

Let me say it again-
NO ONE EVER OFFERED CIRC! Not once, not a single doc or nurse even brought it up. it was like circ was not even offered! PRETTY COOL!!! joy.gif

Is this common? This was San Diego, but the hospital is NOT crunchy at all, it's a high risk, level 3 NICU specialty place.

What was your experience?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 06:53 AM

I birthed all 4 children at the same hospital.  We were always asked upon admission before the sex of the baby was known, and when the baby was male- we were asked repeatedly- but when they got the no answer- the reactions were always very positive... but somehow our desire was never communicated to the next shift- and we'd be asked again and again. I see that as an implied endorsement and I think hospitals need to stop soliciting for non-indicated surgery. What happened with baby Mario in Miami (circumcised intentionally by a Dr. in the NICU after his mom refused repeatedly) is an example of how wrong that can go.  My last baby was female, but when the LC came to visit me, we somehow got on the subject of circumcision and she was so happy that I had not circumcised my sons and said that she deals with a lot of issues because of circumcision.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 AM

I've only had 1 in the hospital, and he was a preemie.  They certainly didn't ask right after the birth, but I honestly don't remember them bringing it up before discharge either.  If anything they told us to ask our family doctor after discharge, but I wasn't intending on having it done so I don't think I paid any attention.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 AM

I was asked exactly three times. The first time was at the OBs office, late in the pregnancy, where she offered printed information (which basically laid out the AAP's official position at the time.) She just said, "this is something you might want to look into," and I said, "we've decided not to," and her reaction was extremely, enthusiastically positive.

The second time was when I arrived at the hospital. They asked a bunch of questions, and entered my answers in their computer. The one about circumcision was sandwiched between "do you have any serious allergies, especially to meds" and "do you have any special dietary requirements." I said no to the circumcision question. The nurse didn't react at all; she just entered the answer along with all the other ones I gave.

The third time I was asked was the day after the birth, when a representative from our ped practice visited to examine the babies. The doc mentioned that if I wanted to circ, he would be the one who would do it, and I said no thanks, we've decided not to, and he said, okay well let me give you this information about the care of the intact penis-- very accurate information, I might add, that told me to leave the penis completely alone, other than normal bathing, and asserted that the foreskin shouldn't be retracted by anyone.

So all in all, our experience was overwhelmingly positive. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the info everybody offered, and the positive attitude everybody had about my wishes.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 AM

I had my last two babies, both boys at the same hospital. The first time I think I was asked once, we said no, and that was that....I believe. This last time (my baby is only 2 weeks old right now) my experience was similar to Sarah's above. We were asked a lot. I had a C-section and was asked by the nurse who was helping to prep me. She asked about breastfeeding. She said I made her happy since she loves when moms say they will not circumcise and breastfeed as opposed to moms who say they are bottle feeding and circumcising. I think I was asked a few times by the doctors who came into my room several times a day...not my ob, and not the pediatrician but the other drs who I actually didn't know, who checks over you and baby. One dr was very young and didn't seem to like my answer and was talking about the benefits of circumcising, which I didn't like. He mentioned how I'd have to do this extra cleaning on him, that in Africa they're doing it because of STDs, etc. I just sat there and didn't say much. I didn't argue because probably me being so tired and my brain was kind of fried. I just let him do his little spiel and leave. I think I want to complain to the hospital about the whole thing. I felt like they didn't think I was educated to make such a decision, that my decision was no good whereas needless to say I was a little offended by the whole thing. And why was I asked so many times this time, as opposed to the first time which was less than two years ago?? Circumcision is one of my worst nightmares and here they are asking me over and over...ugh...but like mentioned above, it could be just lack of communication between staff because I was asked other things over and over...

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
Old 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM

When DS was born in November, I think everyone at the hospital asked me at least once! Seriously, I can't even count how many times I was asked if we were going to circ. Totally neutral responses each time (except by my mw at a prenatal--she was very approving). What did kind of tick me off, though, was the one nurse who seemed a little weirded out that the TV wasn't on in our room, and who kept insisting that we should watch the hospital's educational loop. "One thing you really need to pay attention to is the segment on circumcision care!" I think my response to that was pretty much a blank stare (tired and confused-why do I need to watch THAT?) "Oh, I mean, if you're circumcising." "We're not." "Oh, okay, then you can skip it." "Yeah." Same nurse also tisk tisked when I was nursing every time she came in and pulled hubby aside in the nursery to advise him that the baby needed a paci. She was a real treat.

Mama to DD (7) and DS (1). gd.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifnocirc.gif  bftoddler.gif

Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 AM

we were asked alot at the hospital! we already had a non baby friendly birth with mom baby seoeration ect :( every time the pediatrician came in he would say he was just xhexking to see how his circ was healing and when we repeated we hadn't/weren't circing hewould say "i'm ok with that" then come back and say the same thing again and again. this same doc really undermined our nursing experience too

-nak

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Nope, not at all. In the OB's office they asked just for our files. The NP was surprised, but probably because she is English and we are in a very pro-circ area, so we are rare. In the hospital, most people were VERY supportive. It was great! No pressure at all! luxlove.gif

SAHM to DD1 9/18/08 DS 6/11/10 DD2 6/21/12 nocirc.gifcd.gifgreenthumb.gifhang.gif 

Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 PM

It's been a couple of years now, but I think we were only asked once.... maybe twice.  Our little guy was in the NICU for a few days, so maybe a day or two from release they said something about scheduling the circ before we left, and we said no thanks, and that was it.  Maybe a different person asked on that last day just as a "dot your I's, cross your T's, did we forget anything" type of thing.

But definitely no pressure or judgement or anything.  It was fine.  And while we live in an urban area, the hospital where we birthed was pretty conservative.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

Our hosp had a level III NICU as well, Pittsburgh. No comment was made, it was in our birth plan. He was with us the whole time and they never came in to ask about it. They were also cool with the other things we declined.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

No, in fact with my ds the doctor handed me a pamphlet while I was still pregnant saying that circumcision is not medically recommended and we would have to make a special request and pay for the procedure if we wanted it. We live in Canada so don't pay for medically necessary procedures. I had midwives for my other pregnancies and it wasn't even mentioned.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The ped. pushed it, but no one else. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Well, they never asked with mine but that was because I told them no circumcision several times before we got to that point. I had it written in red on my file. With my first boy, I called my pediatrician ahead of time to discuss it. We talked about it for about an hour on the phone. He was my ped for years with my other 4. I had a weird birth experience with my first son (my 5th child). The midwife was unhappy with my insisting I was in labor when she didn't think I was, then I gave birth so quickly that she almost didn't catch him. I was then put into a room and ignored the rest of the night. I had him around 1am and at 7 I got up and bathed him and dressed him and showered and dressed myself so at 8 when my pediatrician came in I told him I was ready to leave and the only mention of circumcision was his saying, well, since I know you aren't circumcising I'll get his discharge papers ready. With my other two sons I had same pediatrician and he never brought it up because he knows me too well.

That said, I was billed for a circumcision with my first son by the hospital. I called and told them to take it off because my son was not circumcised and they actually asked me if I was sure and then told me that they could just keep it on there and not bill me when I did bring him in to be circumcised and then I went off on a major rant and they took care of it.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 PM

yes, i was "offered" at 7 am, following a 1 am delivery. this was after i had my file marked "do not circumcise." 

Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 PM

Nope, never asked even once!  yay!

knit.gifmama to my boy autismribbon.gif (9/06) and my girl (3/09) and surprise 1sttri.gif due in May!

Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 AM

When I had my DD (no, no one pushed circumcision) but I did have a nurse in the maternity ward tell me it would be quicker for us to get out because we had a girl and we didn't have to "wait for her to be circumcised."  This made me really sad that she just assumed we would circ, especially since we're in the Pacific Northwest which is supposed to be foreskin friendly.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I would make sure I complained - that type of conduct by a doctor is totaly unacceptable.  I really hope you do - and soon while memories are stll fresh.  Good for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babina's Mommy View Post

One dr was very young and didn't seem to like my answer and was talking about the benefits of circumcising, which I didn't like. He mentioned how I'd have to do this extra cleaning on him, that in Africa they're doing it because of STDs, etc. I just sat there and didn't say much. I didn't argue because probably me being so tired and my brain was kind of fried. I just let him do his little spiel and leave. I think I want to complain to the hospital about the whole thing. I felt like they didn't think I was educated to make such a decision, that my decision was no good whereas needless to say I was a little offended by the whole thing.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Exactly. And for the most part I do like the hospital. Compared to others. They do waterbirths, they do a doula program, they will help you birth naturally if that's what you want through all different techniques, they are pro-breastfeeding and I had what they consider a "gentle c-section" and had the baby skin to skin right after he came out. It just seems like I would expect more from them. Though the first time I had a baby there (but second child), I co-slept the entire time and no one said anything, and most nurses said nothing this time, but once nurse told me not to sleep with him in the bed because he might fall out. Wish I had something clever to come back with then...and needless to say he could not have fallen out...but anyway, yes, back to circumcisions...terrible...the thought of my son(s) having that done gives me nightmares, let alone being asked nonstop...the hospital sends out a questionaire on your experience in their hospital so I will be sure to include my experience there as well...

Mom to a girl 7.17.07 and a boy 5.30.09 Wife to husband 8.12.81 (ha) New baby boy 3.09.11 stillheart.gif
nocirc.gifribbonlime.gifslingboy.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gif
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsolarmomma2 View Post

The hospital I had my son at last year, NEVER even asked if I wanted DS to be circed!

I was so worried that something would happen, and he would get circed accidentally, but I had nothing to worry about, as it wasn't even offered.

Let me say it again-
NO ONE EVER OFFERED CIRC! Not once, not a single doc or nurse even brought it up. it was like circ was not even offered! PRETTY COOL!!! joy.gif

Is this common? This was San Diego, but the hospital is NOT crunchy at all, it's a high risk, level 3 NICU specialty place.

What was your experience?????

Which San Diego Hospital was it? I delivered DS1 at Mary Birch 10 years ago and got asked a bunch of times. It was annoying. No one tried to talk me into it, but I had it in all the paperwork - not only that I filled out with my OB, but that I filled out upon admission - and it seemed ridiculous that they kept asking me. The weirdest part was that they said that if we wanted it done we'd have to make an appoitnment after we left the hospital, so it wasn't even like they wanted to whisk him off to do it or anything. There were a lot of bad experiences I had at that hospital during that delivery, though. Two years later I delivered DD there and it was a totally different experience and was great (aside from one obnoxious nurse). Obviously I didn't have the circ issue with her, though.

I delivered DS2 5 years after DS1 at a different hospital (for the OP, Mercy Hospital in Hillcrest) and was never once asked about it. I don't know if it was a difference in the hospital, that things had changed in the 5 years between the boys, because I was a birth center transfer (sort of - he was preterm, so I never made it to the birth center), or (and this is the one I personally think it was) that for DS1's birth I had private insurance and for DS2 I was on state insurance (which does not pay for routine circs)
Old 03-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nope not once.   My son was born almost 5years ago. Kaiser in Harbor City,California

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 03-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

DS1 was born in a small hospital in southeast GA in 2004.  I refused circumcision when I was filling out my admission paperwork and my nurse was delighted, ripping up the circ consent form and noting that in my chart and saying she wished she had seen one before her sons were born because she would have left them intact if she had. 

After he was born I was asked 2 times, once by a CNM in the practice that I saw and once by a ped, if I wanted him circumcised. 

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 03-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg013 View Post

That said, I was billed for a circumcision with my first son by the hospital. I called and told them to take it off because my son was not circumcised and they actually asked me if I was sure and then told me that they could just keep it on there and not bill me when I did bring him in to be circumcised

banghead.gif    jaw2.gif    angry.gif   

Old 03-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Since I have a girl, I don't know how  the hospital would've been.

But, beforehand, this worker from the financial office at my OB was freakishly concerned with making sure I knew that my insurance wouldn't pay if one sort of person did it instead of another sort of person. (I don't remember now..) She just kept on and on and on about it even after I gave up on explaining that I wouldn't be doing it anyway and just repeated the information she was giving.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca_n View Post

we were asked alot at the hospital! we already had a non baby friendly birth with mom baby seoeration ect :( every time the pediatrician came in he would say he was just xhexking to see how his circ was healing and when we repeated we hadn't/weren't circing hewould say "i'm ok with that" then come back and say the same thing again and again. this same doc really undermined our nursing experience too

-nak

I don't know what can be done about it, but I bet that doctor is molesting babies. Or, even if he never touches them inappropriately, he's having inappropriate thoughts as he does so.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM

I had my boy in Ventura County, CA.  It was a very poor county hospital.  I was casually asked about circ once by three different people.  I said no and they just checked a box or something on their clipboards.  It wasn't a big deal at all. 

But the hospital being so poor, wasn't too quick to offer up anything "extra".  Like during my 10 hour labor, I was never once offered an epidural.  Nurses never offered formula for the baby and just assumed I was going to breastfeed.  It was easy to have a pretty crunchy birthing experience there.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Was never asked.  It was never brought up.  I put it in my birth plan just to be safe...but I don't even think they looked at my birth plan.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 AM

When I signed the refusal of consent form for the vitamin k and eye ointment, I wrote in big letters in the "other" section of the refusal form "NO CIRCUMCISION". It never came up.

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 PM

With my oldest, they didn't push it, but they made it clear they were in favor of it. They told me about the "health benefits" and said he'd have anesthesia. Later I found that anesthesia meant getting to suck on a finger dipped in sugar water... With my youngest, who was a UC, no one pushed it. The doctor asked about it at his first newborn check-up and never brought it up again!

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM

What is UC in this context?

Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 PM

I think it means uncircumcised.

Quote: