Confused about cleaning. . . - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my 4yo DS was born, I did a ton of reading about caring for an intact penis after fighting with DH to not circ. I would say the vast majority of reading was on here, or another site recommended by posters on MDC. I remember reading that nobody should retract except the child himself, but once it was naturally retractable, it should be gently retracted daily to clean with warm water.

So, at about age 2.5, I noticed during a diaper change that DS's foreskin was slightly retracted. I then started to retract very gently (not past what was already retractable) during baths (in non soapy water) or showers to clean the area with water.

Then I was talking to another mom the other day who said I shouldn't be doing even that, so I came on here, and it seems she's right. Did the advice change over the last few years? I'm so sure that I was following the instructions that I'd read here! redface.gif

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#2 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yikes, my memory is baaaaaaddddd. I noticed my join date was when DS was about to turn 1. Therefore, I probably got the original info from somewhere else. . . . .i'm pretty sure I went to 'natural parenting sites' though, like Dr Sears, etc.

#3 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't think it's changed. Retraction is a big no no, only the person should be retracting it himself when it's retractable.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#4 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Until he can do it himself it dosnt need to be done. It isnt necessary for cleaning since a simple swish in the bath does the trick. Once he can do it himself then tell him to pull the skin back swish and then put the skin back.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. By 'a simple swish in the bath does the trick' do you mean swish penis fully non retracted, or do you mean retracted? He has in the past retracted it in the bath, but most bathtimes he's too busy playing with his Sprig scuba man to be interested in his penis. Sorry, I'm still confused. . .

Also, if he retracts after the soap and shampoo, it would mean irritants are getting in there. He would have to be told he can retract in fresh water but not once soap is used?

Thanks.

#6 of 8 Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM

Swish without retracing. My ds messes with his in a soapy bath. The only thing I do is rise him off with clear water before he gets out. He has never had issues with irritation.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM

My ds is 6. I don't think it's necessary for him to retract and clean until he starts getting to be a smelly adolescent. lol.gif  The foreskin still keeps stuff out even after it is retractable, so it's not dirty under there.  He just plays in the bath and the outside of his penis gets cleaned as well as any other part of him, I suppose.  He has never had any issues either. I did tell him that if he retracts in the bath after there is any kind of soap in the water, he has to retract and rinse with water from the faucet before he gets out.  I just explained that it could get red and hurt otherwise, and he gets it.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#8 of 8 Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, makes sense now. Thanks so much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page