Oh. My. God. (warning, graphic) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ore. woman faces charges in home circumcision

Story Published: Apr 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM PDT

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A woman accused of attempting to circumcise her baby at home using a box cutter and a pair of pliers faces assault and criminal mistreatment charges.

ETA: I had to delete a lot of the article due to MDC's copyright policy, but you can Google "Keemonta Peterson " and "circumcision" (she is the so-called mother who did this to her 3-month-old baby). The baby had hours of uncontrolled bleeding and was in immense pain, and was finally taken to a hospital. She wanted to do this in-home circumcision after reading the Bible.

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM

That's horrible... that poor little baby, I hope he was able to heal. He could have bled to death so easily... shake.gif

I can't believe she didn't get a harsher punishment and is free now... I wonder if this would have been handled differently if she'd done this to a baby girl?

#3 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I can't believe she didn't get a harsher punishment and is free now... I wonder if this would have been handled differently if she'd done this to a baby girl?

She may be free now, but the trial is coming up soon.  She likely won't be free long.

#4 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 03:31 PM

Please edit your title to say WARNING GRAPHIC or something of that nature.

#5 of 19 Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM

jaw.gif That poor baby. I bet they will re-circumcise him too, Lord knows what condition his penis is in.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#6 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lory View Post

I wonder if this would have been handled differently if she'd done this to a baby girl?

It's exactly why the boy will be able to sue for UN-equal protection under the law. 

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#7 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry! Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

Please edit your title to say WARNING GRAPHIC or something of that nature.

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#8 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 02:40 PM

OMG. That is one of the most horrible things i have ever read. That poor baby and his brother having to witness it!! bawling.gif

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 19 Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM

I hope they do a phych eval on that mom! Poor Poor baby. mecry.gif

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#10 of 19 Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 AM

hmmm...but it's okay for anyone in a hospital to do it...kinda like homebirth.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#11 of 19 Old 04-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post

I get the point you are trying to make here.. that homebirth and such choices can be a slippery slope. But everyone in the hospital cannot do circumcision surgery on your child.. just the pediatrician or the ob.

Doing anything more than popping a cyst at home makes me nervous. I want to know that whoever is holding the knife has a great grasp on where my arteries and veins are.
#12 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post

What exactly are you trying to say here? If you have a home birth you have a midwife who is a licensed/certified professional in birthing. HOW is home birth comparable to a woman mutilating her sons genitals?

Also like PP said not just anyone can do it in the hospital it has to be certain Drs and I for one think it should be illegal either way.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#13 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

What exactly are you trying to say here? If you have a home birth you have a midwife who is a licensed/certified professional in birthing. HOW is home birth comparable to a woman mutilating her sons genitals?

Also like PP said not just anyone can do it in the hospital it has to be certain Drs and I for one think it should be illegal either way.

The guy who runs http://www.circumstitions.com says that in the U.S. it is legal for anyone to perform a circumcision, as long as the operator does not pretend to be a doctor. Is that true or not? Maybe only in certain states?

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
#14 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 03:06 PM

I have no idea and I couldn't actually find that on the site you posted. That would technically mean that I could just go circumcise any baby? I know it is battery if their is not "full consent"(of course not actually for the BABY though, but the parents) But for a parent to do it I have no idea.

I don't specifically see the relevance of that relating to what I said though.

#15 of 19 Old 04-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K703 View Post

The guy who runs http://www.circumstitions.com says that in the U.S. it is legal for anyone to perform a circumcision, as long as the operator does not pretend to be a doctor. Is that true or not? Maybe only in certain states?

Quote:

I have no idea and I couldn't actually find that on the site you posted. That would technically mean that I could just go circumcise any baby? I know it is battery if their is not "full consent"(of course not actually for the BABY though, but the parents) But for a parent to do it I have no idea.

I don't specifically see the relevance of that relating to what I said though.

The site mentions it here (the same case as the one being discussed in this thread):

http://www.circumstitions.com/news/news41.html#portland-diy

It also mentions it several other times in the "news" section (if you want to see them search the site using the phrases "pretend to be a doctor" or "pretending to be a doctor").

As for the relevance to what you said, I thought I'd bring it up since you were talking about non-doctors performing circs.

Kelly, a man who is proud to be intact!
#16 of 19 Old 04-23-2011, 06:01 AM

no I didn't lol I said certain Drs

That does make some sense though b/c a lot of rabbis do circ still right? They aren't Drs...

I posted before b/c I was PO'd that PP said homebirth was somehow comparable to what that woman did to her son.

#17 of 19 Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:

You missed her point. She is saying why is circumcision ok at the hospital but terrible at home? Same as birth. Do it at the hospital and it is fine, do it at home and it is terrible. That is how some people think anyway. Circ is terrible everywhere.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#18 of 19 Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post

Quote:

You missed her point. She is saying why is circumcision ok at the hospital but terrible at home? Same as birth. Do it at the hospital and it is fine, do it at home and it is terrible. That is how some people think anyway. Circ is terrible everywhere.

This is what I meant...The medical community thinks birth can only be done in the hospital...they are trying to make it illegal if not impossible to do it at home.  People are getting arrested for it and having their children taken away.  This is a slippery slope as far as the authorities are concerned.  They view it the same way.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#19 of 19 Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM

dizzy.gif I don't see circ and birth as any way comparable...I guess I get what you are trying to say...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page