Last edited by Evandy; 07-05-2015 at 12:33 PM.
My son also has a very mild case. (Although our midwife saw it right away at birth. ;) ) We talked to a urologist (we were there for other kidney-related reasons) and he looked at us and said "You seem like an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of parents. Doing nothing is a perfectly viable option." So that's what we did. He made no mention of the age-limit however. I seem to recall that DS could decide to fix it whenever he liked later if he so chose. I wanted to give him that choice.
I mean, he's going to get teased for still having his foreskin anyway, so... ;)
WOHM to Leo (4/08) and enjoying the journey with DH
Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013!
As a male subjected to cosmetic surgery I would have preferred to have weighed in on, I urge you to please speak vigorously for that boy's right to make his own choices.
HIS body, HIS decision.
This is a great link on the subject with an intactivist view.
I think your advice is good. The only things I would add are to focus more on the specific issues and press the doctor and any second opinion doctors on these issues. the issues that I see needing more clarity on are:
1) How is he urinating? If he is urinating fine, and the foreskin is helping to direct flow, then it sounds like he needs no surgery, and the risk averse decision is to do nothing. Pressing the doctor on this point and the likely hood of future problems if surgery is or is not performed would be helpful.
2) Why is there a time limit? what is gained by doing it now, rather than later? What is lost by waiting? She needs to really push on this issue. My guess is that The doctor simply prefers to operate on infants, perhaps because it is easier or less stitches, or he himself has trouble dealing with this surgery on an adult. If there is no real time limit, then again, waiting is the risk averse decision.
3) Ejaculating. My guess is that if it is mild, there is not problem with this issue either, and waiting is the risk averse decision. But she should press the doctor on this point as well. Advantages and disadvantage to waiting?